First shot at WE 1000 pt. army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First shot at WE 1000 pt. army

HQ

CL w/ MoK, Berserker Glaive, Frag Grenades (111)

Troops

2x 8 Zerks w/ MoK, Khornate Chain Axes, Bolt Pistols each AC has P. Fist and Talisman of Burning Blood (384 Pts)

8 Bloodletters (208 pts)

Fast Attack

3 Zerk Bikes w/ MoK, Khornate Chain Axes (120 pts)

Heavy Support

Defiler w/ Indirect Fire (175)

Total Pts: 998

The idea behind this army is that the defiler is only planned on lasting 2-3 turns each turn lobbing indirect fire at the enemy army as well as drawing their fire. The Zerks and CL basically foot slogging all the way relying on the Talisman to make up ground. Last but not least is the biker squad to run the side of the board and turbo through to drop a demon bomb to further tie the enemy up. Ideas and suggestions are welcome!

Last edited by Darkseid73; September 16th, 2005 at 22:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

I don't feel that Defiler + CC geared army is a good mix. I always fear I stand a good chance of drifting into my own troops. While Khorne cares not for whom's skulls he collects, I figure he'd be a bit more cheery if I gave him the enemy's first.

The Lord and the Troops choices are spot on. I commend you for keeping the Lord cheap - wise decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed drifting into my own troops would bite BUT the majority of players in my area are Eldar, Tau and Tyranid players. From reading up Eldar and Tau are soft and squishy in the middle and can't take a punch. As for the Tyranids if I can't make em come to me for a fight I might as well shell the bugs outta their holes with the defiler.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Your Chaos lord might be better served w/ a little more upgrades. I would consider taking off the Khorne ax and giving him instead the Glaive. I know its expensive, but it pretty much solves all your problems right then and there. Give him Frag Grenades too (for 1 pt, it really helps when the time comes). You might also give him D. Strength, just to give him an edge in C.C. If the glaive is too expensive then the Ax or Khorne works too.

Troops: Nice

Fast: I use a similiar strategy w/ my bikers. Try putting a khorne icon on one of them, and bring those bloodletters to your opponents dome.

Heavy: You don't really need a defiler, because the rest of your army is already geared for troop killing. I'd consider a predator (lascannon w/ H. Bolter sponsons, Parasitic Possession, smoke launcher). It's roughly the same point cost and balances your army against enemy vehicles and monstrous creatures. Its also good at removing any troops w/ a 4+ save.

Side: You can also scrap your heavy option altogeher and use the additional points to give your berzerkers F.C.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revisited...

Well some consideration was done on the defiler, bikers and demons... I have an alternate list tell me all what ya think.

HQ
    Chaos Lord - MoK, Berserker Glaive, Frag Grenades, Feel No Pain, D. Stature (136)

Troops
    3 Squads of 8 Zerks w/ Free AC. MoK, Khornate Chain Axe / AC - P. Fist, ToBB (537)

Heavy

Dreadnought 2x CCW, Dedicated to Khorne, Mutated Hull, Extra Armor (150)

Dreadnought 1x CCW, 1x TLLC, Mutated Hull, Demonic Possession (175)

Total Points 998

Total Models 27

The thought behind this was although the Khorne Bikers are cool they have a very limited lifespan and the Bloodletters are supplanted by the possessed. The defiler as much as I like it is a point sink and opted for the 2 dreads, I being all CCW and the other with some ranged punch. Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

[Edited Lord, both Dreads and Squads]
    Last edited by Darkseid73; September 21st, 2005 at 21:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

The Lord, while being nice and cheap, is a waste of points IMO. You can't hide him, you can't control him, and he has zero protection. Atleast drop him to a Leiutenant. I honestly believe the Glaive is hurting him more than helping.

Your besekers squads are top notch. Keep 'em that way.

I'd also drop the Plasma Cannon on the second Dread. I find that even the 1/3 miss rate is higher than I like it to be. You have no long range Tank Removal. The power fists are fine against some, but you'll be hurting when attacking AV13 or higher, and then you still have the problem of getting them there. A TL'd Lascannon only costs 10 more points than the Plasma Cannon, and would probably serve you better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I redid the Lord some and gave him some more survivability. I added D. Vis to the AC's as well and upped the Plasma cannon to a TLLC on one of the Dreads. Granted the Lord is a Point sink. The only thing I can think of doing with him is to give him the Glaive, Frags and Feel no Pain I will shave 20 points on him there and then I can dedicate the other Dread to Khorne.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Here's what I would do - but remember, this is just me. I sacrifice fluff in the name of strategy in most cases, so feel free to do what you feel is best for your army list.

There are two generally accepted ways of using the Glaive - on a Statured Lord, or with Terminator Armour. With Stature, you gain much needed survivability, and none of the disadvantages, since you get all of them merely by taking the Glaive. Stature + Feel No Pain is all you really need - that'll go a very, very long ways to keeping the Lord alive.

With Terminator Armour, you simply Deep Strike the Glaive wielder near the unit you want him to hit. Again, Feel No Pain is a good choice - it's a top notch upgrade.

From here on, we get into a moral dilemma. While the Destroyer ability on the Dreads is extremely fluffy, I don't think it belongs on most Dreads. The 2 CCW Dread should definitely have it - doubles his chances at an extra D6" move, and amounts to spiky bits. But the TLLC Dread should not have it - you're relying on him shooting what you need, not blitzing off into Close Combat.

Mutated Hull should be bought before Parasitic Possession.

So here's what I would do -

1) Drop the following; Daemonic Visage, Daemonic Mutation, Destroyer on the TLLC Dread, Parasitic Possession. 101 points freed up.

2) Buy Stature for the Lord. 86 points left.

3) Buy Mutated Hull for both Dreads, extra Armour for the CCW Dread, Daemonic Possession for the TLLC Dread. One point left.

That's all I got to say about that.

Except this - one last time, this is just what *I* would do. You're free to take it or leave it, as this is ultimately your list, and you should play what you feel comfortable with.

+ Reply to Thread