1000 Night Lords, 1st attempt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

1000 Night Lords, 1st attempt

I just wanted to try something diffrent from my eldar (dark and regular), and decided to go chaos. I chose night lords because I think mutations are hella ugly, and that they fluffwise are the least mutated chaos army. What do you think?

HQ (200)

Daemon Prince
    + Mark of Chaos Undivided
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Furious Charge
    + Night Vision
    + D-Aura
    + D-Strength
    + D-Flight
    + D-Resilience
    + D-Stature
    + D-Essence
    + D-Venom
    + D-Fire
    + D-Visage

---------------------------

Troops (567):

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Lascannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Lascannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Autocannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Heavy Support (232):

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + 4x Heavy Bolters
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Total: 1000

Last edited by Sareld; October 2nd, 2005 at 00:29.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

Ah, Night Lords...good choice.
    Welcome to an eternity of darkness and fear Brother...

Now...couple of things.

For 1000 points...you have 33 models. That is very little, very very little.
    For every marine that bites the dust, you are losing alot of points. I'd suggest you try to field slightly less elite marines.

Also, you DP is loaded with way too many gifts. It is very neat, but it is not very practical.
    Make your Lord good for something (CC, shooting or a mix of both) but don't make him a über psycho monster like you've done with yours. It is very cool, but it'll get shot down faster than you can say "fudge".

I like the fact that you think about infiltrating them and such, very fluffy...but that is alot of points, removing that vet skill from those units will buy you a whole new squad atleast.

I have tried playing elite NL...though I was playing 400 pts. and even then I had 15 models. That worked well but facing off against horde armies is hell...just hell.
    Thin out the upgrades, increase your numbers and start investing in Fast Attack units.

Alright...I'll let others talk now.

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Night lords are a very clean and challengefull army, here's a few pointers:

Your lord cannot infiltrate due to is Daemonic Stature, and is mark of chaos undivided limits him to a single skill.

Instead you could use this:

Chaos Lord 191 pts
    Dark Blade, Bolt Pistol, spiky bits, Furious Charge,
    Infiltrate, Master Crafted Weapon, D Strength,
    D Mutation, D Aura, D Resilience

You could also make good use of your 4 fast attack slots, and ability to field raptors in numbers.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Far too many Veteran Skills, and not all of them needed. Infiltrate + Stature is not allowed. You'll have to choose between them - I suggest Infiltrate. Venom is a wasted ability on the Prince - with sixth strength, he'll typically wound on a better than 4+ anyways. Best to buy him a Powerweapon or Daemon weapon if taking Infiltrate, or 2X CCW if Stature.

Have you seen my Tactica on Chaos Gifts? Go *here* (Tactica: Chaos Gifts) to see it. Not to toot my own horn, but it should give you an idea of what's a good skill, and when to have it.

For your troops; is that seven marines plus the Champion, for a total of eight? Or is it seven, with one of them being a Champion? Are they armed with Bolters or Bolt Pistol/CCW? I'd suggest BP/CCW for them. Otherwise, seems fine.

Heavy Support looks fine. I prefer Missile Launchers over Heavy Bolters, but that all depends on your opponents, really

Quote Originally Posted by PrOtOcoN
    For 1000 points...you have 33 models. That is very little, very very little..
    Actually, for Chaos, that's pretty good. The average Chaos army at 2000 points is 55 models, so he's doing quite well. Granted, he over paid on the Lord quite a bit, but he has a solid core of troops. The basic marine only costs 18 points; that's not overpriced at all, I think. The stealth skill can make them nearly impossible to remove from cover, so that should help keep his points safe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Ok, thanks for the advice guys!

My squads are 7 CSM + the AspChamp, ie a total of 8. I would have armed them with bolters, because they are supposed to stand and shoot with their heavy weapon and plasma gun for as long as possible, so they might as well get some rapid fire support. Wont the BP + CCW marines be a waste, ans long as Im using my CSM squads for fire support?

The three major suggestions were:

- Add raptors... done, at the expense of a CSM and the Harvoc squad.
    - Downgrade stupidly powerful lord... done
    - Add more numbers... Thats hard to do, as the raptors were super expensive. I was also advised to remove the infilfrator skill, but I decided to infiltrate my entire army for fluff reasons anyway. I also chose to have a plasma gun plus an aspiring champion with a hidden powerfist in each squad exept the one my lord joins, since it seems well worth the points. Is that a bad idea? I actually ended up with 29 models instead of the 33 before. Is this list any better than the first?

HQ (141)

Chaos Lord

+ Infiltrator
    + Night Vision
    + D-Aura
    + D-Strength
    + D-Flight (Raptor Jump-Pack)
    + D-Visage
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Power Weapon

Troops (400):

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Lascannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Autocannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Fast Attack (450):

5 Raptors (Joined by Chaos Lord)
    + Infiltrators
    + Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Power Weapon

5 Raptors
    + Infiltrators
    + Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Total: 996
    Last edited by Sareld; October 3rd, 2005 at 01:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x4)

You have to excuse my zealous number addition...I'm use to playing against a guy that maximizes the amount of power armored bodies on the field...that plays very very nasty.

Don't worry about the numbers, but be aware of shaving a point here or there to get that extra marine, it pays off.

I'll leave the actualy advice to the ones that are more experienced here...unless they back off and then we can share noob advice :w00t:

Your fluffraping hurts my eyes. - TehDarkPredator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

NP dude, I know how it feels to be a number addict I like chaos, because I wanted a really stylish army with a strong elite theme, without becoming a loyalist pig :tongue:

I couldnt sleep, so I made a hybrid of list A and list B, and I have a really good feeling about this one.. Take a look:

HQ (154)

Chaos Lord

+ Infiltrator
    + Night Vision
    + D-Aura
    + D-Strength
    + D-Visage
    + Frag Grenades
    + Krak Grenades
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Dark Blade

Troops (389):

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Lascannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + Autocannon
    + Plasma Gun
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Fast Attack (225):

5 Raptors (joined by Chaos Lord)
    + Infiltrators
    + Plasma Pistol
    Aspiring Champion
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Power weapon

Heavy Support (232):

7 Chaos Marines
    + Infiltrators
    + Stealth Skill
    + 4x Heavy Bolters
    Aspiring Champion
    + Stealth Skill
    + Infiltrator
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Powerfist

Total: 1000
    Last edited by Sareld; October 3rd, 2005 at 02:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Sareld
    I would have armed them with bolters, because they are supposed to stand and shoot with their heavy weapon and plasma gun for as long as possible, so they might as well get some rapid fire support. Wont the BP + CCW marines be a waste, ans long as Im using my CSM squads for fire support?
    Not necessarily. What do you plan on shooting those Bolters at? The tank? Not likely to hurt it, are they? Plan on shooting at infantry units with those bolters? Pretty much a waste of that Lascannon, aint it?

The way I see the scenario playing out is as follows. You deploy in cover, and plan on staying there to make good use of the Stealth Adept skill. Your opponent has three options for removing that unit:

1) Have a firefight with you. This is a losing proposition for him, since you have a 3+ cover save. Even without the special ability of the Night Lords, people would be crazy to accept this option. This is the least likely scenario to play out.

2) Long range fire. The second most likely option, the enemy will force you to leave cover and come to him with his superior range weapons. Heavy Bolters, practically all Tau weaponry, Ordanance, the list goes on. This will force you to either take out one model a round with the Lascannon, or move to him. Your Bolters will do you no good in this situation, and you'll probably be looking at trying to stop the long range fire with a different unit, such as Raptors.

3) Assault. He'll send a dedicated assault unit to take out the unit. This is the most likely scenario, especially in your case, as it negates the cover saves and keeps you from firing the heavy weapons. Most assault units can clear 18" in one turn, so you'll be lucky to get one shot off with the Bolters. Moving out of cover to get into rapid fire range is a bad idea, as then you lose the initiative bonus and the fire protection before the charge. If you're lucky, they'll be in the 1" to 12" zone, and there's no difference between a Bolter and Bolt Pistol at that range (assuming you absorb the charge). Most likely, you'll get one round of shooting with the Bolters, pulling off six shots, assuming you haven't taken casualties yet. With Bolt Pistols and CCW, you can instead get six close combat attacks every single round, increasing your chances of surviving the assault and keeping that Lascannon alive and firing later on.

I'm not sure if much of that made sense, and you're free to form your own opinions after all, but that's why I consider Bolt Pistols + CCW a far superior choice to Bolters. I even go so far as to say that the only models to ever use Bolters should be Death Guard and Thousand Sons. Every other CSM should have BP/CCW (Or Sonic Blasters in the case of shooty EC).

Back on topic, I like your newest list much better. A couple of issues though. Drop the Krak Grenades on the Lord - they actually hurt you, instead of helping. Your Lord strikes at Strength seven four times without them. With them, you strike once at Strength six. They're a waste of points. You might try finding two points and upgrading them to Melta Bombs, but that's probably not even necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Drop crack grendaes on Lord he won`t need em anyway - his D-Blade much better
    2.Troops is ok for me, though I would take a missile launchers instead of Lascannons, but it is my style of game and my personal IMHO =)
    3. Raptors is a GREAT unit. Unfortunately they start to work after 6 of em. Drop plazma and take Melta for tankhunting, and give AC either pfist or pair of lighting claws. Enjoy your enemy runing from your Raptors and Lord.

P.S. And welcome to our dark Brotherhood, Brother!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

108 (x4)

Ok, I see your point on the bolt pistols + ccws, those will be added instead of bolters. I also passed on the krak grenades th the asp.champ of the raptors. He will need them if I decide to go armor hunting with that squad..

Do I really lack anti-armor? I mean.. my lord plus raptors can destroy most things from the side, and I have a lascannon and an autocannon, plus 3 powerfists.. Is meltaguns really nessecary? I would think that the plasma guns is more handy, as other power armored armies would otherwise be able to take the beating I dish out? And is MLs really that good? frag missiles seems to be a bit weak, and S8 is not qoite as good as S9 or 2xS7 IMHO..

HQ (152)

Chaos Lord

+ Infiltrator
    + Night Vision
    + D-Aura
    + D-Strength
    + D-Visage
    + Frag Grenades
    + Bolt Pistol
    + Dark Blade