[500] Iron Warriors (my very first army) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

[500] Iron Warriors (my very first army)

Hello!
    I'm really new to WH40K, and this is the very first army list I've ever written.

HQ - 120 pts [counter-assault assistance, 5 attacks + 1 charge attack, 2+ armor, ignore armor, invul]
    Chaos Lieutenant
    A pair of Lighning claws
    Terminator armor
    Daem. Essence
    Daem Fire

Troops 1 - 128 points [anti-troops/light vehicle]
    8 CSM
    6 Bolters
    8 CCW
    1 Autocannon
    1 Flamer

Troops 2 - 137 points [anti-troops/heavy vehicle]
    8 CSM
    6 Bolters
    8 CCW
    1 Lascannon
    1 Plasma

Heavy Support - 115 points [anti-troops]
    Basilisk
    Dirge Caster

The combat plan is as follows:
    Troops 1 stand in front of the Basilisk and shoot.
    Troops 2 stand at the sidу of the Bas and shoot.
    HQ stands with Troops 2 and laughs like a maniac.
    Basilisk shoots.
    As soon as a CC unit advances too close, Troops 2 and HQ charge and rip them a new one.
    If 2 CC units advance too close, Troops 2 and HQ engage the first one, and Troops 1 and Basilisks bolter fight the second one.

What can I improve in this er... platoon?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Pretty good start for a first list, actually. Just a few tweaks I suggest.

Good idea about only taking a Leiut in such a small game. You don't need a Lord at all. But here's the thing - the only differences between a Lord and a Leiut is one wound, 15 points, and the ability to take more Gifts on the Lord. If you're buying the Leiut Daemonic Essence, you really are short changing yourself.

That being said, you don't need Essence. Drop it. Drop Fire too. With the 20 points, buy yourself the Sorcerer Upgrade and Doombolt. We're short five points, but we'll come back to that.

Moving on. Mixing assault weapons with Heavy Weapons isn't really a great idea. I'll never know why people think it's a good idea to put a Plasma Gun into a Lascannon squad. Might I suggest changing out the Autocannon/Flamer for two Plasma Guns, and keeping the Lascannon solo in that squad? Plasma Guns hit just as hard as Autocannons, with more shots, with a much better AP value. They just lack range, which shouldn't be much of an issue with the Bassie and Lascannon.

Next, swap the Bolters for Bolt Pistols and CCW in the Lascannon squad. The reason is simple, if not apparent. That Lascannon will be shooting at tanks, which the Bolters have no use. However, if you plan on using it for a counter assault unit (which it seems that you are), the Bolt Pistols + CCW will allow the squad to level nearly twice as many attacks, without sacrificing much, if any, ranged fire potential.

With all those changes, you should have a whopping one point left over. Hurrah!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Thanks for the input, Caliun! Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    That being said, you don't need Essence. Drop it. Drop Fire too. With the 20 points, buy yourself the Sorcerer Upgrade and Doombolt. We're short five points, but we'll come back to that.
    Oh, you're right, Psychic Abilities do not count towards wargear limit, so I won't go beyond my 75 points. My god, Claws don't count as well, so I'm double safe.
    Another question. Will Dirge Caster be useful in my army or should I buy Furious Charge or Daemonic Mutation for my HQ instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    201 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Caluin
    Moving on. Mixing assault weapons with Heavy Weapons isn't really a great idea. I'll never know why people think it's a good idea to put a Plasma Gun into a Lascannon squad. Might I suggest changing out the Autocannon/Flamer for two Plasma Guns, and keeping the Lascannon solo in that squad? Plasma Guns hit just as hard as Autocannons, with more shots, with a much better AP value. They just lack range, which shouldn't be much of an issue with the Bassie and Lascannon.

Next, swap the Bolters for Bolt Pistols and CCW in the Lascannon squad. The reason is simple, if not apparent. That Lascannon will be shooting at tanks, which the Bolters have no use. However, if you plan on using it for a counter assault unit (which it seems that you are), the Bolt Pistols + CCW will allow the squad to level nearly twice as many attacks, without sacrificing much, if any, ranged fire potential.
    For once in my existence on this forum, I will disagree with Caluin on one single point :

The Onodera troop choices are nicely setted up, except for the flamer, which is useless. But, looking at the tactics prensented at the end of the post, here is what I would do with those units.

1th : As caluin said, remove the Daemonic Fire and Daemonic Essence from your lieutenant, neighter will be usefull.

2nd : Troop 1 : Remove the flamer, it won't be of any use. Replace it with a Plasma Gun. Those are troop killers, they are great at it and should be used for this sole purpose and to kill dreadnought or shoot rhinos if no troops are on the table.

3rd : Troop 2 : Keep it that way. First two turns, it kills vehicles and small squads(Bikes, Jumpack, sentinels). Since you have a lascannon, it means that you'll kill at least 1 models a turn. Usualy, bikes come in pack of 3, killing 2 = cannot rally and pretty useless. Same for jumpack, which are usualy used in group of 5. Since those troops cost a lot, killing them usualy assure the victory. After that, use it as standard anti-infantry unit. This is where the plasma gun become usefull.

Anyway I can put it, the basilisk will do the most part of the job. Since you're playing small game, you'll face an average of 3 units or 2 units + 1 tank. As soon as you've destroyed the tank and the long range unit, you've won the game. Theoriticaly, you'll never face close combat unless you've made a mistake, or you are fighting Dark Eldars.

But Caluin gave you a clever advice by suggesting to use bolt pistols instead of bolters in your second squad.

I may be wrong. Have fun !!!
    Last edited by MindRaked; October 26th, 2005 at 21:22.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like were your going with your army...but as always i have some things to say about other iron warrior armys.

Firstly your Luitenant, i'm glad to see you didnt go for a lord but for what he is going to be achieving he costs to much points. You can make a much more affective by dropping the essence, fire and lightning claws amd replacing them with a dark blade and furious charge with a ccw...This way you are spending less points but are making more attacks on the charge at +3 strength and you will also be striking first against most things so you will rarely be seing a strike back.

And second in such a small game making one of your squads cc orientated will really stuff with most hoarde armies.
    Make one of your squads hold ccw/bp with 2 plasma guns to move around with your HQ this squad should be 8 man strong.

Wile making your other squad a 5 man squad with a lascannon.

Drop the dirge caster off the basilisk and if you have followed theese ideas right you should have 72 points over which you can pump into a obliterator! every iw army should have one...If you like the sound of this army then say so and i'll post the army i made for you here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Thanks for your valuable input, everyone!
    This is my revised list:

1 Chaos Lieutenant (HQ)
    Make Sorcerer; Lightning Claws (pair)
    Terminator Armour
    Furious Charge
    Doombolt
    Bionics

9 Chaos Space Marines (Troops)
    CC Weapon (x9); Bolter (x7); Plasma Gun (x2)

6 Chaos Space Marines (Troops)
    CC Weapon (x6); Bolt Pistol (x4); Lascannon (x1); Plasma Gun (x1)

1 Basilisk (Heavy Support)

It's easy to covert it into a 555 points list as well. Drop Bionics and third plasma and get an Obliterator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

Drop the lascannon and plasmagun from your cc sqaud, these weapons will limit their mobility and will prevent them from charging if they fire, give them instead either 2 flamers or 2 meltaguns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreachon
    Drop the lascannon and plasmagun from your cc sqaud, these weapons will limit their mobility and will prevent them from charging if they fire, give them instead either 2 flamers or 2 meltaguns.
    This squad's primary function is destroying vehicles and elites, should they appear.

Wolf Scout Meltagunner Wulfbanes's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x2)

It might be wise to READ the post before posting.
    but then again. WE dutch are lazy :p
    I like the list, although one question seared my mind:
    Does he really need Termie armour?
    I like this IW's, although Tzeentch doesn't stop talking to me...
    I should listen to the voices
    ~Wolf Gone
    Getting Help = Giving Rep

Space Wolves 5th edition:
    W13, L2, D2

+ Reply to Thread