1500 friendy Alpha Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 friendy Alpha Legion

Heres my first chaos army. I'll mainly be up against Tyranids and Word Bearers, any advice is appreciated.

Lord: 127pts.
    Dark Blade, Plasma Pistol, Daemonis Mutation, Resilience, and Visage, Frag Grenades, and Infiltrate

Chosen: 8 Champions 290pts.
    All have: Great Weapons, Daemonic Strength, Bolt Pistols, and Infiltrate
    One champion has Daemonic Visage

Chaos Marines: 10 Marines, 1 Champion 232pts.
    Missile Launcher, Flamer, Infiltrate, Frag Grenades
    Champion: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Daemonic Visage

Chaos Marines: 10 Marines, 1 Champion 231pts.
    Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Infiltrate, Frag Grenades

Kroot Mercenaries: 15 Kroot, 1 Shaper 200pts.
    Shaper: Eviscerator, Bolt Pistol, Auspex, Frag Grenades

Raptors: 7 Raptors, 1 Champion 275pts.
    1 Flamer, 2 Plasma Pistols, Infiltrate, Furious Charge
    Champion: Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Visage

Defiler w/ Indirect Fire 175pts.

Total: 1500pts. 55 models 1 tank

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm also starting a new alpha legion army, in my initial army list i've got a squad of bikes, i thought they would work well with infiltrate. and in all my squads i've placed at least one heavy bolter, and up to 4 in my havoc squad. and some raptors, of course.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I think you could do well with a comment beside chaotic Scotty's merry words.

Dark Blade, Plasma Pistol, Daemonis Mutation, Resilience, and Visage, Frag Grenades, and Infiltrate
    I like the HQ, like a wine from my youth-cheap and strong. The only thing you need to do is to drop the Plasmapistol in favour for Daemonic aura. Get him Daemonic speed too and you have a nice first turn charger. Oh, and after dropping the plasma, get him a boltpistol for that +1A.

All have: Great Weapons, Daemonic Strength, Bolt Pistols, and Infiltrate
    One champion has Daemonic Visage
    Something tells me you've been playing Fantasy battle before this?
    I think I've never seen such a waste of points .
    Eight champions is in itself over the top but to then give theese expensive guys greatweapons , not in this world. This 290 point unit would kill about 30 points of spacemarines a turn. Get them into closecombat turn two and they would have made a little more then half their points worth. If you want a mean expensive cc-unit you'd only have to make half of them champs. Three powerweapons and one fist. Throw in a couple of mutations asnd you'll have an overkill-unit.
    My advice though would be to drop them all together in favour for more Troops.

The CSM may have two special weapons in a unit try to use this advantage. Give the units two of the same weapons (two meltas/two plasmas etc) And if you have big units like theese put apowerfist on the champ as that will let him deal with anything.
    If you want to use heavy weapons, use Havocs or small units of Troop Chaos Space Marines (CSM). Caluin wrote an article about missile vs. autocannons that you could read, He's like a Guru on this board

Hmmm... why the Kroots? If you want choctroops go cultists,If it's for Fluff, OK

Theese guys could do with a bit of focusing, the champ is OK. I guess the whole squad is quite OK, but I rarely use them... Others know them much better.

It's a great guy this one, but when all your units are infiltrating, do you not fear the scatterdice?

OK, some hard words, but I think you needed to hear them, hope you havn't converted the chosen yet .
    There are quite a few Alpha Legion players on this board (I'm not one of them) and their lists are around here somewhere.
    Good Luck and come back soon with questions or comments.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I will drop those chosen and replace them with a bike squad. The idea with them was to get alot of instant kills. Like I said I'll be playing tyranids alot (Wordbearers not so much) so I've tried to make my marine squad capable of taking out numbers, that why I wouldn't go for meltaguns or two plasma guns. As for the Kroot I just like kroot, and their stats are a bit better than the cultist stats. Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bugzapper
    Heres my first chaos army. I'll mainly be up against Tyranids and Word Bearers, any advice is appreciated.
    What kind of 'Nids are we talking? MC 'nids, or swarms?

There's really no reason to infiltrate a Lord such as this if you're not going to stick him in Close Combat come turn one. That's why you need Daemonic Speed - with Infiltrate, it will always give you a turn 1 charge. The sooner you get your nasty HQ unit into CC, the sooner he starts earning his points. There's a very good reason why people fear Infiltrate+Speed Lords more than they do Statured Lords.

Drop the Plasma Pistol. You'll only get maybe a shot or two off per battle, and run a risk of frying yourself. Swap it for a standard Bolt Pistol and mentioned.

You should really have Aura. I can't count the number of times it has saved my HQ from an untimely demise. Especially against 'Nids you'll want it, as it'll be your only protection from Rending and MC attacks.

On HQ units, take Spiky Bits before taking Mutation. With 3 attacks base, Spiky Bits will always average out to the same effect as Mutation. Not only does it save you five points, it also takes points off your Daemonic Gifts total, which can be sometimes helpful.

Beyond that, he's a good Lord. Cheap, extremely effective, and mean. With just a few tweaks, he becomes absolutely brutal. I play one quite close to him in my list, except I run a LT instead of a Lord.

Wasteful. In 40K, the Elites don't win games - the basic troops do.

A couple of options - drop them entirely, and reinvest the points into other places. This is probably your best bet. Your Lord does not need a retinue - he can hold his own in combat, if you deploy and charge smartly.

The other option is to drop some of the Champions. You need some basic Redshirts to eat up casualties. Once your opponent realizes how many points you've invested into this unit, they're toast. I promise you.

Great Weapons are horrible weapons. Never ever take them. EVER. A few power weapons in the group is much more preferable to everyone having Great Weapons.

Drop the Missile Launcher or the Flamer. Never mix assault weapons with Heavy Weapons - it's wasteful. Specialization is key to winning games. If you keep the Missile Launcher, drop the Frag Grenades. No point giving them frags if they're firing Heavy Weapons and not charging.

If you give the champion a Powerweapon, you want Daemonic Strength to boost him. STrength four won't be enough to cause any considerable, appreciative damage. A Powerweapon + Strength is okay in a pinch, but really consider taking a Powerfist. Not only will it all but promise you 2+ kills a turn, it will give you a fighting chance against MC 'Nids.

Well, while not as bad as mixing a Heavy Weapon with an assault weapon, I can never understand why people find it necessary to plug in a Plasma Gun though. Basically, take the comments from the above group and apply them here.

I can honestly say I've never seen anyone actually take Kroot Mercs. I can't comment on how effective they'd be, so I won't. However, I agree with Andusciassus - if you want cheap throw away troops, get Cultists.

Good. I don't think you need the Plasma Pistols however - just take Melta Guns. Not only are they safer, but they give you a measure of tank hunting that your list lacks.

Defilers do not belong in a CC list. Drop him like a bad habit. Either reinvest the points (along with the Chosen) into more standard line troops (preferably armed with Melta Guns or Plasma Guns), or a Predator with an AC/Lascannon loadout. The Predator is highly unfluffy for Alpha Legion, however.

Never underestimate the strength of your basic troopers. Chaos is spoiled in how many choices we're allowed, and how customizable our lists are - but everything each list should have in common is to have a solid core of troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Andusciassus
    Caluin wrote an article about missile vs. autocannons that you could read, He's like a Guru on this board
    Combined with comments like this, and the amount of people running around with <CIR> in their sigs, it's amazing why people wonder why I have such a big ego.
    :tongue:

EDIT - Sorry about the late reply - it took me nearly an hour to type this up, with all the interruptions. Feel free to ignore anything that you already explained in your earlier post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Caluin. My friend plays swarm 'nids, I tried to make this list so I could shoot up the swarms before they reach me. I'll be dropping the chosen and adding a bike squad, I think I might change my lord and give him a bike too. As for my marine squad I don't intend to assualt with them, I added the flamer in case the tyranids get too close. For the second one I have the plasma gun to take out some of the more fearsome tyranids that might show up. I'll swap out the plasma pistols for meltaguns on my raptors like you suggested. I chose to include a defiler because of it's amarments which are pretty well suited for killing tyranids.

--------------------------
    Heres my revised list:

Lord 121pts.
    Dark Blade, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Resilience, Visage, and Speed, Frag & Krak Grenades, Infiltrate

Obliterators: 3 Obliterators 210pts.

Chaos Marines: 10 Marines, 1 Champion 242pts.
    Missile Launcher, Flamer, Frag Grenades, Infiltrate
    Champion: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Daemonic Visage & Strength, Teleport Homer

Chaos Marines: 10 Marines, 1 Champion 241pts.
    Heavy Bolter, Plasma Gun, Frag Grenades, Infiltrate
    Champion: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Daemonic Visage & Strength, Teleport Homer

Kroot: 15 Kroot, 1 Shaper 220pts.
    Shaper: Eviscerator, Bolt Pistol, Auspex, Frag Grenades, Blood of the Stalker

1 Flamer, 2 Meltas, Infiltrate, Furious Charge

Defiler: Indirect Fire, Coruscating Flame 190pts.

Total: 1499pts.
    Last edited by Caluin; November 12th, 2005 at 00:37. Reason: Double post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

708 (x8)

Looks much better. The oblits will serve you far better than the Chosen would have. Good choice with them.

The other things I've already groused over, so I won't pick at them. Good luck in your games. Try to submit a Battle Report if you can.

+ Reply to Thread