[1000] Black Legion, Escalation League - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

[1000] Black Legion, Escalation League

I'm playing in an Escalation League at my local Games Workshop starting in January. I already have my 500 point army together and am working up plans for 1000 so I'll have time to get the models together and hopefully painted. One thing to keep in mind: I love the variety of models with Chaos armies, as it's more fun to paint for me, so you'll see a lot of different units mixed in. About the only models I'm not fond of are the Nurgle ones.

HQ: 163
    Chaos Lord Daemon Prince
    Upgrades: Stature, Strength, Resilience, Mutation, Aura, Speed, Essence
    Gear: 2 Close Combat Weapons, Frag Grenades, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Elite: 70
    Obliterator

Elite: 167
    Slaanesh Noise Marines x 6
    Upgrades: Infiltrate, Mark of Slaanesh, Blastmaster x 1, Sound Blaster x 5

Fast Attack: 168
    Mounted Daemonettes x 6

Troop: 100
    Chaos Space Marine x 5 (Bolters)
    Upgrades: Lascannon, Mark of Chaos Undivided

Troop: 172
    Chaos Space Marine x 8 (Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons)
    Upgrades: Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Aspiring Champ upgrade with Power Fist

Heavy Support: 160
    Chaos Defiler
    Upgrades: Havoc Launcher

As for tactics, The Prince and Assault troops close in probably on the same side. The Noise Marines infiltrate just within range of a juicy enemy squad and lay down some fire. The Defiler, Obliterator, and Lascannon squad focus on enemy vehicles, MCs, and tough armored squads like Termies. Though if the enemy is a troop hoard, the Battle Cannon and Oblit's Heavy Bolter can work well for that, too. The Mounted Daemonettes can come in from basically any unit and still have good odds of reaching close combat immediately, even if I have to summon them from the Lascannon squad, plus I like the models for the mounted versions better then the normal walking ones.

For the enemy, they have to pick between the Defiler, Prince, or Obliterator for thier heavy weapons. And if the Prince draws a lot of fire, so much the better to let that Battle Cannon wreak Havoc. If not, he'll start mauling things in close combat.

I'm a bit iffy on the Havoc Launcher though. I could drop that to give a Personal Icon to the Prince to provide a 4th summoning unit option.

Thoughts on the army?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Some of your units are rather expensive for a 1000 point build. Overall, your army lacks focus. The prince is only protecting your defiler. Most of the time you want the prince to be protecting 3-4 infiltrating c.c. squads ready to strike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xardian
    HQ: 163
    Chaos Lord Daemon Prince
    Upgrades: Stature, Strength, Resilience, Mutation, Aura, Speed, Essence
    Drop mutation and essence. Save 30 points. In a 1000 point build your prince is sufficient without these 2 upgrades. You should probably consider using a chaos lt in a 1000 point build, but the prince configured in this way should be ok.

Obliterator
    fine
    sound blasters work best on bikers. They are too costly to equip on troops. Slaanesh makes excellent c.c. squads w/ either a blastmaster or a melta gun (depending on your environment). If you really want to use sonic blasters, then drop 2 of them for bolters. This will give you cheap casaulties. Also, you can probably get away with not infiltrating the squad, though I really like the infiltrating upgrade- just trying to think of ways to cheapen the squad.
    Fast Attack: 168
    Mounted Daemonettes x 6
    Again, in a 1000 point build, mounted daemonettes are too expensive. Actually, these girls are usually not worth their points. Regular daemonettes to the same thing. In your build, I can see why you took them. Since you have infiltrating squads, the mounted daemonettes will get into c.c. a round earlier. Still, in a 1000 point build, they are rather expensive.
    nice

Troop: 172
    Chaos Space Marine x 8 (Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons)
    Upgrades: Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided
    Not bad. You need two melta guns or plasma guns.

Heavy Support: 160
    Chaos Defiler
    Upgrades: Havoc Launcher
    You're right about the havoc launcher. Drop it. Stick with the basic secondary weapons, as you should be firing the battle cannon every round.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Well, actually, the Prince is protecting the Defiler, 1 infiltrating CC squad, the Slaanesh squad, and possibly the Obliterator. I gave him Essence so he could soak up some more enemy fire before going down since I won't often have to worry about insta-kills on him. Could drop the Mutation though. Part of his idea is to combine his assaults with the CC squad. One infiltrates, the other has cavalry speed to catch up.

The Slaanesh squad should be supporting those two by pinning down some enemy infantry squads. Keep the Prince and CC group from getting swamped by extra enemies. If the Noise Marines get enough attention, they can back up while continuing to fire full-tilt. Good point on the cheaper wound buffer though. With the points from Mutation and the Havoc Launcher I can drop one Sound blaster and then add another marine for a couple bolter-wielding cannon fodder guys. I had also considered an AC with power weapon and Strength (fist is a waste of good Slaanesh initiative), but opted to put the points elsewhere for now. May pick one up at the 1500 point range.

The remainder of the army should be picking apart whatever isn't already engaged, or softening the soon-to-be-engaged units up prior to being charged.

Plasma guns seem counter-productive to the CC squad, as their rapid-fire prevents charging. Melta-guns shouldn't be needed really with the fist and all the other anti-tank available in the list already. I have debated a pair of Plasma Pistols, however. Shorter range and less penetration then a melta, but extra attack in CC, which is the squad's defining purpose.

The mounted Daemonettes are indeed there for the ease of charging into CC. They're more pricey, but also more mobile, and therefore more flexible. They're slightly cheaper then Raptors and, on paper anyway, look like they'll do better in assault. Plus, they're a Fast Attack slot, leaving me more room to expand in Troops (Bloodletters, Flamers/Horrors, another CSM squad or two...).

Also, remember, this army is for an Escalation League. After 2 weeks, it'll be jumping to 1500, then 2 weeks later, to 2000. So if some units seem pricey for a 1k army, that's why. They're winding up in a 2k army a month later.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DS will make your prince draw lost of fire as DS makes him Monstrous Creature.
    My I suggest upgrading him using other options. I understand what is siad about points costing, but DS will not make him a walking or even flying target.
    Year 2007
    Ork Freebooters - 7/0/0
    Chaos Violators - 1/0/1
    Tyrannids - 0/0/0

Year 2006
    Ork Freebooters - 29/2/0
    Chaos Violators - 1/0/0
    Tyrannids - 4/0/0

WHFB
    Year 2007
    Dark Elves - 0/0/0

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Plasma guns seem counter-productive to the CC squad, as their rapid-fire prevents charging. Melta-guns shouldn't be needed really with the fist and all the other anti-tank available in the list already. I have debated a pair of Plasma Pistols, however. Shorter range and less penetration then a melta, but extra attack in CC, which is the squad's defining purpose.
    It's criminal not to take some kind of special weapon in your c.c. squads. For 10 points (20 for 2 weapons) you should take the upgraded weapon. You never know what you're going to face, and to tell you the truth, your army needs the additional firepower.

Concerning plasma guns: I've had good success w/ using the plasma gun in assault squads, because you only have to rapid fire once in order to make up for their lack of assault abilities. Also, the round they rapid fire, you are potentially taking down 2 enemy models, whereas with the melta gun (usually considered the alternative special weapon), you only fire once during the round before charging and then again w/ the charge. With the plasma gun, essentially, you're able to fire that second shot w/ rapid fire a round earlier than the assault shot w/ the melta gun, which will help to remove pesky enemy models one round earlier. Just a thought. At any rate, you really need more flexibility than the 8 bolters provide when it comes to weapons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Well to nit-pick, they're Bolt-Pistols One more reason I'm hesitant to stick a pair of rapid-fire weapons in the squad since they'd be the only two. I'm leaning more towards the melta / Plasma-Pistol options. Maybe one of each. Little extra firepower all around.

Also, the round they rapid fire, you are potentially taking down 2 enemy models, whereas with the melta gun (usually considered the alternative special weapon), you only fire once during the round before charging and then again w/ the charge.
    Well, that's two shots each then. 2 from the Melta, 2 from the Plasma. And the melta is more effective per shot, with no chance of killing the marine holding it, and has better anti-tank power. Seems like to me, it'd be a waste to take a plasmagun in an assault squad over a meltagun if that's the case. But putting in at least one melta does seem like a perfect replacement for the Havoc launcher.

Also, been thinking about the noise marine squad some more. Really, I don't think there's a point to trying to add cannon fodder to them when it's only a 5-point difference on models already costing over 20 each. May as well go for the extra 5 points a pop and get the very signifigant increase in effectiveness over a standard bolter. If I were going cheap, it'd be a plain assault squad with no sound blasters period, rather then a close-support fire squad like it is, and then the cannon fodder would be useful to protect the Blastmaster.

Besides, one more reason to have the Daemon Prince drawing fire Just imagine that big guy slapping his hindquarters at the enemy gun emplacements and yelling, "Right here pal! Yer mother was a hamster, and yer father smelt of eldar-berries!" ^_^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

Here we go, updated list with a few tweaks.

HQ: 153
    Chaos Lord Daemon Prince
    Upgrades: Stature, Strength, Resilience, Speed, Essence, Aura, Visage

Obliterator

Fast Attack: 140
    Mounted Daemonettes x 5

Troop: 219
    Chaos Space Marine x 9 (Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons)
    Upgrades: Infiltrate, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Meltagun x 2, Frag Grenades

Heavy Support: 150
    Chaos Defiler

Total Points: 1000
    Models: 26
    Vehicles: 1
    MCs: 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see you still going with DS, they are going to pick on your prince.
    Year 2007
    Ork Freebooters - 7/0/0
    Chaos Violators - 1/0/1
    Tyrannids - 0/0/0

Year 2006
    Ork Freebooters - 29/2/0
    Chaos Violators - 1/0/0
    Tyrannids - 4/0/0

WHFB
    Year 2007
    Dark Elves - 0/0/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x1)

I've done some more revisions to my current list for the league. Dropped a few things and shuffled around. Partly for mechanics, partly for modelling time available.

HQ - 133
    Daemon Prince
    +Strength
    +Resilience
    +Aura
    +Stature
    +Speed
    +CCW x 2
    +Frag grenades
    +MoCU

This guy is there to be a target and offer some counter-assault. He's fairly cheap, durable, and can do some damge. Plus I spent 8 hours painting him and want to keep playing with him

Elite - 140
    Obliterator x 2

Great fire support, better durability then a tank, too. Love these guys

Elite - 167
    CSM x 6
    +Mark of Slaanesh
    +Blastmaster
    +Sound Blaster x 5
    +Infiltrate

Summoning point, and anti-troop firepower. Infiltrate to range and pick a spot to park it. More firepower if stationary, but can fall back and still lay down withering fire if an assault threat starts closing. No cannon fodder because each trooper is already too pricey to be wound fodder without sonic weaponry, and not much price difference anyway.

Fast Attack - 140
    Mounted Daemonette x 5

The extra speed lets them come in from essentially any unit with an Icon that I field and still make it into combat the same turn. Which is good when I only have 1 assaulting unit with an Icon.

Troop - 90
    CSM x 5 (Bolters)
    +MoCU
    +Lascannon

Some basic fire support on the cheap and summoning backup. Sit back and pop tanks / termies / assault troopers.

Troop - 180
    CSM x 8 (Pistols & CCW)
    +Infiltrate
    +Frag Grenades
    +MoCU
    +Champ
    +Power Fist

Basic assault squad. They spend most of thier time in CC, not much call for the special weapons when points are tight, and it saves me some time building and painting the special-weapon toting troopers. The Defiler takes up a lot of my painting time. Special Weapons likely coming at the 1500 point stage two weeks later.

Heavy Support - 150
    Defiler

Start-up Defiler. The Prince will hopefully draw some fire from it, or if not, then the prince should have time to get into CC. Either way, I hope to mess some with my opponents target priorities. The army can function whichever way.

Total Points: 1000
    Models: 26
    Vehicles: 1
    MCs: 1
    Last edited by Xardian; January 9th, 2006 at 17:43.

+ Reply to Thread