[1000] Malalite-themed Black Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

[1000] Malalite-themed Black Legion

The idea behind this was a Malalite-themed army and I just want to see how this will fare in combat. Heck, if it's good enough, I might even use it when it comes time for me to start Chaos Space Marines. Who knows?

HQ
    --
    Daemon Prince
    - Daemonic Stature
    - Daemonic Flight
    - Daemonic Aura
    - Daemonic Mutation
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Dreadaxe
    Total: 160 points

Troops
    ------
    11 Chaos Space Marines
    - Aspiring Champion with Power Fist
    Total: 182 points

11 Chaos Space Marines

Fast Attack
    -----------
    3 Chaos Space Marine Bikers
    - 2 Meltaguns
    Total: 122 points

- 2 Meltaguns

Heavy Support
    -------------
    8 Chaos Havocs
    - 4 Autocannons or Missile Launchers
    Total: 192 points

Total: 960 points

Right, so there's two options here. First, I could give them all the Mark of Chaos Undivided for a full 40 points or take an extra Chaos Space Marine Bike (or a few more bodies for my Havocs or any other concievable special equipment. 40 points is a lot.). To be honest, I'd rather have the Mark of Chaos Undivided because of the benefits it provides but at the same time, I'd rather this army be as fluffy as possible. I could've made this army a lot bigger but I justify myself by saying that Malalite warbands are usually quite small from what I've heard. In addition, not many of the units are Malal's sacred number 11 but that's the rules. Havocs and Bikes can't be taken in squads of 11. I justify the Daemon Prince on fluff grounds as well because he is essentially a Space Marine of extremely strong (and unbending) faith who has been subjected to so many torments by a Daemon Prince that his mind has broken and he has fallen to Chaos. Still he fights on, however, but instead of praying to a god for power, he has become a god of sorts, offering his body as a living vessel for Malal's power (anyone who has read the manga Priest will recognise this story).

Well, that's it. What do you all think?

Last edited by NiteRabbit; January 19th, 2006 at 03:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Interesting army you have here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NiteRabbit
    --
    Daemon Prince
    - Daemonic Stature
    - Daemonic Flight
    - Daemonic Aura
    - Daemonic Mutation
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Dreadaxe
    Total: 160 points
    The prince really needs daemonic resilience, especially over mutation. Giving him that 6 toughness ensures that he won't take stupid wounds from bolters and helps thwart heavy bolter and auto-cannon attacks.

Troops
    ------
    11 Chaos Space Marines

11 Chaos Space Marines
    Hmm. I like it. Instead of giving everything MoCU or taking an additional bike squad, I'd like to see some movement ability given to your troops (though I can't think of what kind of movement they could use). It just pains me to think they are having to foot-slogg it, but then again, you have 11 bodies to soak wounds.

-----------
    - 2 Meltaguns

- 2 Meltaguns
    Hehe, very cute. Seriously, not bad, but you only have 1 wound before you start losing your special weapons. The best thing about these bikes is that they will draw fire away from your troops, which in itself is amuzing, since most of the time, people try and find ways of drawing fire away from their bikes- good job...I think.

Heavy Support
    -------------
    8 Chaos Havocs
    - 4 Autocannons or Missile Launchers
    Take the autocannons and give them tank hunter. This is probably the best use of your points. Eight is sufficient to handle most ranged attacks.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

i'ld go with daemonic resilience, autocannons, and some special weapons for the infantry.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    264 (x6)

Next version:

HQ
    --
    Daemon Prince
    - Daemonic Stature
    - Daemonic Flight
    - Daemonic Aura
    - Daemonic Resilience
    - Daemonic Strength
    - Dreadaxe
    Total: 155 points

Troops
    ------
    11 Chaos Space Marines
    - Meltagun

11 Chaos Space Marines
    - Meltagun

Fast Attack
    -----------
    - 2 Meltaguns

- 2 Meltaguns

Heavy Support
    -------------
    8 Chaos Havocs
    - 4 Autocannons
    - Tank Hunters
    Total: 216 points

Total: 999 points

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

262 (x7)

I like this list a little more than the first one. The addition of melta guns to your squads gives them the opportunity of blowing up any extra things (tanks, transports etc) that they come into contact with.

For the extra point, give you Prince an additional CCW to make sure he rules combat.

:ninja:
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

264 (x6)

O_O

Almost forgot about that! Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

Here is my suggestion :

1 - Drop the daemon prince and use a lieutenant instead. Daemon princes are good in a 1500+ points army. In smaller games, the more troops you have, the better your chance of winning.

2 - Reduce your Havocs Squad to 5 mens, you don't need more unless you are planing to Stand And Shoot and give them Autocannon + Tank Hunter or Missile Launchers + infiltrate (Since it's your only Heavy Unit, you will be able to deploy it last and then choose your target).

3 - With the points from the the lieutenant and the reduced Havoc Squad, you should be able to build another squad of marines by stealing 1 model to the 2 other squads. It will grant you more men, and therefore provide your army with longevity.

4 - Looking at your army list, there seems to be a lack of focus, as many other lists i reviewed. What do you intend to do ? Wait with your troops and attack with your bikes and daemon prince ? Or do you want to advance, 6" a turn, until your reach the ennemy line (Walking on the open field is never a good idea). I suggest you find a way to justify the use of bikes and Daemon prince or find a way to move your troops faster (Rhinos or infiltrate). Your bikes would be good tank hunting units if there was something else threatening your opponent. The way it is now, they are likely to be destroyed earlier in the game, preventing you from any surrounding / flanking manoeuver. You need to choose to go for close or to stand and shoot. You may want to use your bikes to wait and counter attack, but then you won't need the melta guns. Counter attacking is best performed by Raptors anyway.

5 - Assuming you stick with the daemon prince, he doesn't need the D. Strenght upgrade. S5 is usualy enough to get throught anything you encounter. Also, S5 on a Daemon prince will get you an average of 12 for armour penetration, which is enough to tear open a dreadnought.

6 - MoCU is usefull if you want to go melee, otherwise, it's mostly useless.

7 - I understand the fluff of your army, but you'll need to be an excellent player to play in a winnig perspective.

That's it. I would win 1/6 games with the current army list, and none if against horde armies (Orks, Nids, etc.). But I might be wrong, as I am still human. Good Luck and Have fun !
    Last edited by MindRaked; January 19th, 2006 at 22:01.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MindRaked
    1 - Drop the daemon prince and use a lieutenant instead. Daemon princes are good in a 1500+ points army. In smaller games, the more troops you have, the better your chance of winning.
    On this note: A chaos lt with a kai gun and infiltrate is one of those models that is applicable in almost any point level. He just has so much uitility for his point cost.

2 - Reduce your Havocs Squad to 5 mens, you don't need more unless you are planing to Stand And Shoot and give them Autocannon + Tank Hunter or Missile Launchers + infiltrate (Since it's your only Heavy Unit, you will be able to deploy it last and then choose your target).
    MindRaked, don't you think that 5 is awefully small for a havoc squad? Even in a 1000 point battle it's good to have at 2-3 casualties. That said, I see you point here, namely, you're gathering points for an additional squad- good idea, which would in itself help to draw fire away from the havocs, so in turn, the havoc squad can be smaller.

5 - Assuming you stick with the daemon prince, he doesn't need the D. Strenght upgrade. S5 is usualy enough to get throught anything you encounter. Also, S5 on a Daemon prince will get you an average of 12 for armour penetration, which is enough to tear open a dreadnought.
    Well, that S6 makes c.c. brutal on an opponent with models primarily with a T4. If the prince is meant to be a troop-killer, then he really needs to make every swing count- my 2 pennies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

201 (x4)

Havoc Squads tend to be easily forgotten in a CC army as the main threat is the incoming horde of CSM. In a stand an Shoot army, It's best to have more models as havocs will be priority target.

As for daemonic strengh on a daemon prince, it's like buying a computer. You can buy the basic model as it will answer all your needs, but there is allways the "it's only 10 box to upgrade the processor, 10 box for a better graphic card.". You don't need this stuff, but it's only 10 box. And the first thing you know, you computer cost you $ 2000 instead on $ 1 000 for the basic model. That's my point. Less points you spend on your daemon prince, less point you loose when a full squad of devastator make it their target.
    Last edited by MindRaked; January 20th, 2006 at 14:26.
    MindRaked
    CHAOS Undiv.: won 14/22 games EC: 4/7 WE: 6/9 DG: 10/15, TS: 3/7 Orks : 13/20 SM NL : 1/6 TAU: 14 of 24 IG: 3/7

+ Reply to Thread