Help (tau/chaos) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Help (tau/chaos)

    Hi all im new to 40k and trying to decide what army to have and i have searched quite a few forums and havent realy found much help. its either tau or chaos. And in chaos im really confused about all the different groups like the emperors children (soz abt spelling if wrong) what sort of army do u recomend i like to stay back and shoot to take a few of em out but if it gets to close quater i like to kick ass thats what tau arnt 2 gud at at. Anybody got a recomended army list for me or somthing. iv got the tau codex an read most of it so know about all them jus wonderin about chaos now. Cheers!!
    ps i like the way the emperors children troops look and iv got a small tau army witha colour schecme of yellow for armour and codex gray for clothes and red for the lig htsif that helps (i like a unique/ in your face look such as the pink of the emp children).(Y)
    and sorry if iv interupted the wrong section!:wacko:


  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Svalene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Paris,France
    Age
    24
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

    well the tau will have a new codex in 1 to 3 month.and they are good shooting and are VERY mobile(exept if you want to have 60 fire warriors).they are also hard to kill if you get right units because of jumping in and out of cover.and they got one of the 3 best tank in the game,the fearsome HAMMERHEAD.
    so pick the mighty and rightgeous TAU
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

  4. #3
    LO Zealot numberofthebeastxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

    Well firstly this post prob belongs in the chaos section. Not the army list section. Secondly, as a veteran 40k player of about 7 years, I always find myself coming back to the different flavors of chaos. Chaos has all the rock hard defense of regular space marines but with daemons, more units, veteren skills, etc. In a choice between Tau and Chaos you have to ask yourself a few questions. If you want a straight forward army with not too much (but a decent amount) of strategy involved, go with Tau. Pretty much all strategies for tau consist of shooting an army till it's dead.

    Chaos on the other hand, can be played tons of different ways. You can have a super-fast army (mine), you can have an assault oriented army, a tough defensive army, or like tau, a super shooty army. And even then you have lots of choices. For example, if you wanted a shooty army similar to to the crushing firepower of tau, you should go with either Iron Warriors, or Emperors Children. But, although both these armies can lay down a withering amount of firepower, both have a great potential to have assault oriented armies as well. IW can have bikes, or raptors, or cc-troop squads, and EC can have daemons, cc-squads, possesed, etc. Also, most EC armies are a mix of shooting and assault. Because even if you deck your army out with noise weapons the basic marine is still quite tough, and will strike 1st against most opponents. Guys getting too close to your gunns? Summon Daemons!

    Another important consideration is, do you like the fluff (background story) of the army? Do you want to go parading around the galaxy in the name of the greater good? Or do you want to crush everything in your way in the name of the all powerful chaos gods? I suggest you read some of the tactics and articles here at LO. And maybe get your hands on some of the index astarted books (or white dwarfs) to read up on the storlines behind the different chaos unit.

    Hope that helped, and good luck with your decision!
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson


    Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

  5. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    cheers i think that i want a chaos army that is pretty much well balanced with guysb who can shoot em b4 they can reach me and when they do i want a solid front line do you think that the best one would be black legion because you can pretty much have anybody in that cant you? So who do you think i should have in my army if i want this style? im not too bothered about transport but like tanks etc!

  6. #5
    Senior Member Svalene's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Paris,France
    Age
    24
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

    Quote Originally Posted by numberofthebeastxxx
    Well firstly this post prob belongs in the chaos section. Not the army list section. Secondly, as a veteran 40k player of about 7 years, I always find myself coming back to the different flavors of chaos. Chaos has all the rock hard defense of regular space marines but with daemons, more units, veteren skills, etc. In a choice between Tau and Chaos you have to ask yourself a few questions. If you want a straight forward army with not too much (but a decent amount) of strategy involved, go with Tau. Pretty much all strategies for tau consist of shooting an army till it's dead.

    Chaos on the other hand, can be played tons of different ways. You can have a super-fast army (mine), you can have an assault oriented army, a tough defensive army, or like tau, a super shooty army. And even then you have lots of choices. For example, if you wanted a shooty army similar to to the crushing firepower of tau, you should go with either Iron Warriors, or Emperors Children. But, although both these armies can lay down a withering amount of firepower, both have a great potential to have assault oriented armies as well. IW can have bikes, or raptors, or cc-troop squads, and EC can have daemons, cc-squads, possesed, etc. Also, most EC armies are a mix of shooting and assault. Because even if you deck your army out with noise weapons the basic marine is still quite tough, and will strike 1st against most opponents. Guys getting too close to your gunns? Summon Daemons!

    Another important consideration is, do you like the fluff (background story) of the army? Do you want to go parading around the galaxy in the name of the greater good? Or do you want to crush everything in your way in the name of the all powerful chaos gods? I suggest you read some of the tactics and articles here at LO. And maybe get your hands on some of the index astarted books (or white dwarfs) to read up on the storlines behind the different chaos unit.

    Hope that helped, and good luck with your decision!
    ...wow 'the tau are pretty straight forward and their strategy are just to shoot ppint and shoot'..i laugh at you.if anything tau are harder to play than chaos.if you think that all the tau have to do is point a gun at the enemy and shoot it,well you think the tau are IG.the tau are not a noob army,if you mess up it is easier to recover when you play chaos than if you were playing tau.you can make a fast chaos army,well for the tau you can too,i mean you SHOULD make a mobile army.ill just show my army(basically) to show you how mobile it is.
    1 crisis commander with a fusion gun(a meltagun) and a plasma rifle
    another crisis commander with 2 bodyguards in crisis suit.
    2 more elite crisis suit with missile pod and plasma rifle
    6 stealth
    6 stealth
    6 fire warriors(yes just six)
    10 kroots
    and 3 hammerheads.
    well as you can see i only have 60 point of my 1500 point army that is not decently mobile,so at least know the army before posting irrelevant comment about that army.tau are not imperial guard,they have less brute firepower(that is why they almsot always lose a straight shooting match agaisnt ig).they are more mobile on the other hand.
    it makes me sad that 40kjames decided to play chaos because you trashed the tau in your earlier post
    Last edited by Svalene; January 19th, 2006 at 22:12.
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

  7. #6
    LO Zealot numberofthebeastxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

    Quote Originally Posted by 40kJames
    cheers i think that i want a chaos army that is pretty much well balanced with guysb who can shoot em b4 they can reach me and when they do i want a solid front line do you think that the best one would be black legion because you can pretty much have anybody in that cant you? So who do you think i should have in my army if i want this style? im not too bothered about transport but like tanks etc!
    Well your right. When starting chaos you should always play black legion rules. A good start would be a model to represent your chaos lord, some troops, I suggest a cc squad (bolt pistols and ccw's) a support squad (squad of bolters, 1 plasma guna and one heavy), a dreadnought, some daemons, and a vehicle of some kind (tank of defiler), or a squad of havoks if you prefer. This is about 1000pts. A good starting army. As you expand, try out different daemons, and marked units. Experiment with veteren skills and different units. That way you can find out what works best for you, both in tactics and fluff.

    On a side note, perhaps you should re-think what you said svalene. First off, I said tau have a "decent" strategy. Not a simple one. Your choice with tau are a mobile army, a balanced army (a few kroot for cc), or an all shooting army. There is decent strategy there, and it's not easy to master tau. However, there are 9 different legions of chaos, each with their own rules and abilities. Each of those can be customised for defense, mobility, shooting, assault, or any combination fo the four. On top of that you can design your own legion with mixes of units and veteran skills, mixing the four colors (marks of chaos). Chaos is a much more diverse organism than tau. I'm not saying one is "better" than the other so calm down. I've seen tau win against chaos (not against me), and vice versa.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson


    Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

  8. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    I have changed my mind again its now emperors children and heres a basic army i have thought of by looking at other peoples choices and ideas and some personal ideas.

    HQ
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Daemonic Strength
    Dark Blade
    Wind of Chaos

    Troops
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6 Noise Marines - Doom Siren, Infiltrate, Bolt Pistol, Aspiring Champion, Combat Drugs, Power Fist, Doom Siren

    6 Noise Marines - Doom Siren, Infiltrate, Bolt Pistols, Aspiring Champion, Combat Drugs, PowerFist, Doom Siren

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion

    Heavy Support
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6 Noise Marine Havocs - 4 Blastmasters, 2 Autocannons,
    Rhino, Extra Armour, Smoke Launcher
    How can i fit some Daemonettes in or cant i? What else do you think i should include im aiming for 1000pts

  9. #8
    LO Zealot numberofthebeastxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    I'm the all-singing all-dancing crap of this world. I'm the toxic waste by-product of Gods creation.
    Posts
    1,328
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

    Quote Originally Posted by 40kJames
    I have changed my mind again its now emperors children and heres a basic army i have thought of by looking at other peoples choices and ideas and some personal ideas.

    HQ
    Chaos Sorcerer Lord
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Daemonic Strength
    Dark Blade
    Wind of Chaos

    Troops
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6 Noise Marines - Doom Siren, Infiltrate, Bolt Pistol, Aspiring Champion, Combat Drugs, Power Fist, Doom Siren

    6 Noise Marines - Doom Siren, Infiltrate, Bolt Pistols, Aspiring Champion, Combat Drugs, PowerFist, Doom Siren

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion

    Heavy Support
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6 Noise Marine Havocs - 4 Blastmasters, 2 Autocannons,
    Rhino, Extra Armour, Smoke Launcher
    How can i fit some Daemonettes in or cant i? What else do you think i should include im aiming for 1000pts

    Well, I'd definatley use a lieutenant, nto a lord in this list. It will save points. Also, blastmaster count to your heavy weapons and you can only have 4 in a havok squad. So your going to want 4 blastmasters and 2 bolter marines. The guys without heavy weapons are basically the ones you would "sacrifice" 1st when the unit gets shot at.

    Here's a refinment of your list:

    (All have MOS)

    Lieutenant- Dark Blade, spikey bits, aura, resiliance, infiltrate.
    (I dropped the sorceror powers so he can have infiltrate and be attached to one of your cc squads. He doesn't need dem. strength because he has a dark blade, instead I gave him dem. resiliance, making him harder to kill).

    6 Noise Marines - Infiltrate, Bolt Pistol and ccw's, Aspiring Champion, Power Fist, Doom Siren

    6 Noise Marines - Infiltrate, Bolt Pistol and ccw's, Aspiring Champion, Power Fist, Doom Siren

    (Combat drugs are a waste of points, you only need one doom siren for the champ.)

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion w/ power weapon.

    6 Noise Marines - 5 Sonic Blasters, 1 Blastmaster, Aspiring Champion w/ power weapon.

    (In case these guys get charged (or charge) you wont just be swinging with the blunt end of your guns, you'll have a power weapon to take down more people. Don't forget, you can shoot sonic blasters can shoot twice AND assault. It's always better to charge, than be charged.)

    Heavy Support
    6 Noise Marine Havocs - 4 Blastmasters. 2 Bolter guys.

    This add's up to exactly 1000pts. When you expand to 1500pts you can get some daemonets and some more havoks or vehicles. But, if you really like daemons (like me) you can drop a squad of cc marines, and get a squad of 10 daemonetts. Now you can use the daemon bomb tactic. Infiltrate your cc squad and lord, summon the daemons as quickly as possible, and charge into combat. All the while you should be pounding away at the enemies army with your shooty squads.

    Hope that helped.
    "My father is the jailhouse. My father is your system....
    I am only what you made me. I am only a reflection of you"
    -Charles Manson


    Fluff Masters Clan Leader
    Super Villians
    Order of the Shadowy Flame
    Votewar! Check It Out!

  10. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Thanks a lot! Cheers really appreciated!

  11. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Reputation
    1 (x1)

    Making Noise Marine Havocs

    How do you make noise marine havocs do you just use normal noise marines with the weapons??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts