[1500] Chaos Marines ( final draft? ) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

[1500] Chaos Marines ( final draft? )

Ok. Here's to hoping the only responses this list gets are a rousing 'Hurrah!' lots of applause and invitations to become the premier chaos army list designer here at LO! :w00t:

( not likely! )

HQ:

Chaos Lord: Mark of Slaanesh, D. Flight, D. Essence, D. Aura, D. Strength, D. Visage, Twin Lightning claws, Melta-Bombs, and frag grenades

Elites:

3 Obliterators

Troops:

6 Noise Marines w/ Mark of Slaanesh and 5 Sonic Blasters and 1 Blastmaster.

8 Chaos Marines w/ Undivided Mark 6 w/ bp/ccw and 2 w/ meltaguns all w/ infiltrate

8 Chaos Marines w/ Undivided Mark 6 w/ bolters and 2 w/ plasma guns all w/ infiltrate

Heavy Support:

7 Chaos Havocs w/ Undivided Mark 3 w/ bolters 1 w/ autocannon 3 w/ heavy bolters all w/ infiltrate.

Dreadnaught w/ Plasma Cannon, extra armor and smoke launcher.

Defiler w/ Battle Cannon, Heavy Flamer and smoke launcher.

41 models and 1499 points.

A quick note on the meltagun squad having bolt pistols, that was done because the melta's have the same range as the pistol and at that range the pistol is every bit as effective as the bolter. Also if the enemy were to try hth with this unit it has a more decent chance of defending itself.

Any and all criticisms and comments are very welcome.

Thanks for looking and double thanks for all responses.

edit: This list is for a tournament, does anyone think I should drop the infiltration on the melta and plasma squads and put them in rhino's instead? I've gotten the impression from several threads here that tourney's don't often use missions that allow infiltration?

Last edited by Joker; February 4th, 2006 at 06:33.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Looks like you've covered most of the basics. You've got good tank popping and troop killing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker

Chaos Lord: Mark of Slaanesh, D. Flight, D. Essence, D. Aura, D. Strength, D. Visage, Twin Lightning claws, Melta-Bombs, and frag grenades
    Overall, this guy looks good. On a personal note (and more importantly for tournaments) I would drop claws and essence. Even thought the modeling potential is amazing, there are other configurations that will serve your lord, and for that matter your army, more effectively.

Upgrades to consider:
    1- Darkblade and drop D. strength (optional drop to save points): You want your lord to carve into troops with as much killing power as possible. The Darkblade maximizes his strength against 4S based troops, which will effectively award you 1-2 additional kills per turn. The blade will also allow your lord to take on monstrous creatures. While the claws are good against troops they don't give your lord alot of versatility. Of course, he doesn't need much, but he should be able to handle monstrous creatures if the time should arise. Also, and this should be a major consideration, Twin claws and D. strength cost 40 points, while the Darkblade cost 25- much cheaper and still extremely effective.
    2- D. Speed instead of D. flight: This suggestion is intended to get your lord into c.c. as soon as possible. With d. speed you can take infiltrate, which all but guarantees your h.q. a first turn charge.

While these suggestion are very generic they will prove their worth on the battlefield. I pretty much use this configuration exclusively on virtually every army size across the board, eh, well, this one and the chaos lt w/ a kai gun.

3 Obliterators
    super!

There's nothing really wrong here. In a tournament setting, I've not had good experience w/ sonic blasters on troop choices (I prefer them on bikes). Sonic blasters tend to make your troops too expensive. You're paying 10 points per model (MoS + blaster) for effectively 2-3 shots per round with a bolter. This is the same price as a melta gun, a plasma gun, and most of the heavy weapon options. Also, the squads don't have alot of staying power.

8 Chaos Marines w/ Undivided Mark 6 w/ bp/ccw and 2 w/ meltaguns all w/ infiltrate

8 Chaos Marines w/ Undivided Mark 6 w/ bolters and 2 w/ plasma guns all w/ infiltrate
    Looks good. You'll need an a.c. w/ a power fist in the melta gun squad. To save points, you can get away with dropping your second squad down to 7 troops.

7 Chaos Havocs w/ Undivided Mark 3 w/ bolters 1 w/ autocannon 3 w/ heavy bolters all w/ infiltrate.
    Don't mix heavy weapons. This squad should have 4 auto-cannons w/ tank hunter, and then, if you have the points, infiltrate.

Take daemonic possession, that is, if you can afford it point wise. I don't think you can, in which cas extra armor is a decent substitution.
    Why smoke? This vehicle should be firing every round.

A quick note on the meltagun squad having bolt pistols, that was done because the melta's have the same range as the pistol and at that range the pistol is every bit as effective as the bolter. Also if the enemy were to try hth with this unit it has a more decent chance of defending itself.
    Yep, bolt pistols in a c.c. squad is good, especially w/ melta guns.

edit: This list is for a tournament, does anyone think I should drop the infiltration on the melta and plasma squads and put them in rhino's instead? I've gotten the impression from several threads here that tourney's don't often use missions that allow infiltration?
    No, it's cheaper w/ infiltrate and usually more effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Boyd covered most of it. But that won't stop me from popping in and having my say as well.

So just how many wounds do you really need this guy to have? Three is sufficient for everything you might need.

Also, I agree about the Darkblade versus L-Claws + Strength. The Darkblade is just so versatile, while the L-Claws force you into a certain role. Chaos ICs of this level should be attacking troops anyways, but there are times when you need him to have that high strength. Swarms come to mind - ever have your Strength five lord tied up by Scarab swarms? I promise you that it is a very ugly thing to have happen.

So here's what I suggest - swap the Claws for Darkblade + Bolt Pistol, and drop Essence. 29 points saved. From here you have some options - you can also drop Daemonic Strength and have 39 points to reinvest in your list (as Strength six is usually sufficient for anything you need done), or you can buy Combat Drugs for the Lord. I highly recommend this - it frees up so many options. Need strength eight for some instant kill action? No problem. Expect to take a powerweapon hit? No problem - let's just ignore it. Wish you had an extra point of WS so you hit on 3's? Easily done. None of the above? Take an extra attack. Combat Drugs is one of the best perks of being Slaaneshi - don't over look them.

Lastly, I second the Infiltrate/Speed routine. Just take cover behind some of the infiltrating troops for cover on the first turn, then bolt into the nearest Heavy Weapons squad.

Fair. Not a bad choice, but don't expect anything stellar out of them. Yes, Sonic Blasters are good, but they make for expensive troops. Find some cover for these guys to camp out in.

You're dead on about the Bolt Pistols + Meltaguns. Meltaguns are assault weapons, and should be treated as such. However, you need a Champion with a Powerfist in these squads. I promise you that they will see Close Combat, and without that Champion, they will lose.

This squad can probably get away without a Champion, but I still recommend one. Or, you could get away with knocking the squad size down to six or so and make it look much less threatening than your Sonic Blaster/Assault squad.

What's with the Autocannon? Take a weapon, and stick to it.

I'm always leery about seeing people take a Plasma Cannon, mainly because it's an expensive weapon to have miss every third shot. I always recommend that people take a Twin-Linked weapon on their Dreads, usually the Autocannon. While the Plasma Cannon has a very nice AP value, it doesn't do you much good if you have a tendency to throw 1s and 2s to hit.

Next, see about dropping Smoke and EA to buy Daemonic Possession. It's criminal to not have it on non-transport vehicles.

Expect this one to die, and die fast. No indirect fire means that he will have to be out in the open in order to use his Battle Cannon, leaving him open to counter fire. His low AV and high threat level makes him a prime candidate for those 4x Missile Launcher Dev squads that you will see in a tournament setting. Coupled with the fact that you have only one other vehicle in the entire list practically promises you that the Defiler will not live past turn 1.

So, your options? Well, Indirect Fire if you can find the points. This hurts on small boards, though. The other option is replacement.

This list is for a tournament, does anyone think I should drop the infiltration on the melta and plasma squads and put them in rhino's instead? I've gotten the impression from several threads here that tourney's don't often use missions that allow infiltration?
    I've always had the impression that most tournies use Infiltration/Deep Strike rules in their games. Can you call the tourney organizer and ask what level of missions he plans on running? Regardless, I can't recommend Rhinos. Coffins on wheels aren't in particular fashion right now, so best to stick with hiding in the shadows for now.

Also, I locked your other two threads - they were starting to confuse me on which was the most current.
    Last edited by Caluin; February 4th, 2006 at 17:11.

+ Reply to Thread