Librarium Online Forums banner

Vanilla Chaos: 1500 points

533 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  theyak 
#1 ·
Just got a paycheck, thought I'd treat myself to some new soldiers. What do you think of my setup? Tanks aren't too common in the armies I play against, so I know I'm a little short there.

HQ

Chaos Lord w/
MoK
Feel No Pain
Dark Blade
Demonic Strength
Demonic Aura
Talisman of Burning Blood
Furious Charge
Frags

Elite

3 Obliterators

7 Khorne Berzerkers w/
Furious Charge
Chainaxes
Frags
AC w/ Power Fist / BP

Troops

7 Chaos Space Marines w/
MKU
2 Plasma Guns
Infiltrate
AC w/ Power Fist / BP

7 Chaos Space Marines w/
MKU
2 Plasma Guns
Infiltrate
AC w/ Power Fist / BP

7 Chaos Space Marines w/
MKU
2 Plasma Guns
Infiltrate
AC w/ Power Fist / BP

7 Chaos Space Marines w/
MKU
2 Plasma Guns
Infiltrate
AC w/ Power Fist / BP

Heavy Support

6 Chaos Havocs w/
4 Heavy Bolters

TOTAL: 1498

Any suggestions would be welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
GeekSlayer said:
HQ

Chaos Lord w/
MoK
Feel No Pain
Dark Blade
Demonic Strength
Demonic Aura
Furious Charge
Frags
D-speed is great for this kind of lord. The extra charge distance makes him far more dangerous. I think furious charge is a bit of a waste. You already have an initiative advantage against most troops, and you have strength 7 when not charging meaning that you wound up to T5 models on a 2+. So the actual bonus your lord recieves from furious charge is rather little.

You could actually drop d-strength as well. Not really any practical difference between strength 6 and 7. Take resillience instead since there is a big difference between t4 and t5.

3 Obliterators
Good. I have found three to be overkill in most situations. Drop one and use the points elswhere.

7 Khorne Berzerkers w/
Furious Charge
Chainaxes
Frags
AC w/ Power Fist / BP
Give the champ Talisman of Burning Blood. This unit needs the speed increase. Also, mutation on the AC is good.

Oh, and btw, these could be troops since you have a khorne lord leading the army.

7 Chaos Space Marines w/
MKU
2 Plasma Guns
Infiltrate
AC w/ Power Fist / BP
Your 4 troop choices are too similar in my opinion. You are not gonna be able to infiltrate in all missions, and then the relative short range of plasmas are gonna hurt you. Missile launchers and Lascannons are too cheap to pass in a standard marine squad.

Perhaps drop infiltrate on two squads and give those two squads either lascannon or missile launcher. That will also increase your anti tank firepower. I know you don't fight tanks all that often, but a lascannon works well against TMC, terminators and all other high point models.

6 Chaos Havocs w/
4 Heavy Bolters
Give these infiltrate. Its a great bonus to be able to set up your heavy support last instead of first. Also, try to add a few more guys to this squad. HB will not keep them out of range of enemy fire, and you will start losing heavy weapons at the third casualty.

I am a strong advocate of speed and mobility. Your army lacks that a lot. Bikers, raptors, daemons etc. can all be used to keep the enemy off balance and are good at reaching trouble spots. Since they are expensive its hard to include in a small army, but consider how your army would fare in a mission that does not allow infiltrate, and against an army that is gonna stand and shoot. Perhaps drop one obliterator and one troop squad and get a bike squad with some meltaguns and a powerfist champ.

The army you posted had only three models capable of shooting over 36". Against a horde army you would probably do very well, but most shooty armies should have little trouble focusing on the obliterators, lord and berzerkers while staying out of range of your other units.

Arizzar

#3 ·
Chaos Lord w/
MoK
Feel No Pain
Dark Blade
Demonic Strength
Demonic Aura
Furious Charge
Frags
Im not sure if you can take Veteran Abilities if you have the MoK but I may be wrong. Arizzar summed your Lord up pretty well.

3 Obliterators
Drop one of these and add in some more havocs for meat sheilds for your heavy bolter marines.

Arizzar summed it up pretty well. Anyway,

~Ben

#4 ·
I'm a bit new to chaos, so this is more of a question for me as well....
Your lord has a mark of Khorne, right? if you don't have an HQ with undevided, doesn't that mean you have to adhere to a pure khorne army rules(no oblits)? I'm curious about this because I'm trying to build my fist CSM army list using Chaos undevided,using mainly CSM and khorne crazy-men..I'd really like my only hq to be a khornate killing machine, but it seems to stand to reason that if you want to play undevided, then you have to have an undevided HQ.

#5 ·
You can have an udivided army with a Khorne Lord as general. You just have to keep in mind that when the general of your army is marked it will be impossible to include unites of the opposed mark. See cocex for more info on the ancient enemies.

If you make the undivided army you talk about, and have a Khorne lord as HQ you would still be able to use obliterators and raptors etc. And any CSM squad you give MOK will stay troops and not become elites since they have the same mark as the general.

Arizzar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.