[1850] Thousand Sons Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

[1850] Thousand Sons Competitive

This is my first list above 1,000 points for the Sons. It's for the upcoming Medusa V Campaign, for play at my local hobbystore. Now, though it is a friendly environment, I want this list to be as competitive as possible. They always say my army is underpowered and that I should cut my losses and start collecting a new army before my force gets too big. I really, really want to prove them wrong.

I don't have access to flamers, horrors, Chosen of Ahriman (no WD article), and I cannot double up on Defilers or Predators.

Anyway, here it is.

Chaos Lord:
    Warp/Dark Blade, Bolt of Change, 2x Thralls, Talisman of Tzeentch, Termi-Armor, Daemonic Mutation

Screamers: x8

Thousand Sons: x9
    Champ - Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Summoning Icon, BoC, Thralls x2

Champ - Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Summoning Icon, Wind and Gift of Chaos, Thralls x2, Warp Focus

Defiler:
    Indirect Fire, Reaper Autocannon, Heavy Flamer, Battlecannon

Predator:
    TL - Lascannon, 2x Lascannon Sponsoons, Smoke Launchers

Dreadnaught:
    TL-Lascannon, DCCW/TL-Bolter, Coruscating Flame, Smoke Launchers

If my math is right, this comes out right at 1850. The Lord is to stay attached to the Wind/Gift Son squad. What do you think?

"If you can wait til I get home, then I swear we can make this last."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are very infantry heavy what are you going to use to tie down a basilisk or the like its ver pedestrian and a bit weak to any army with a few ordance templates also what is your lords leadership i assume 10
    Beasts are People
    Yes the Horns i hear you say.
    We have ears
    So why are we better than beasts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    283 (x6)

Well, though it is infantry heavy, I've maxed out all my Heavy Support choices, I'm not sure what else I can do. As far as a bassie goes, well, let's hope I get a lucky defiler shot on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Anyone?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

If you can, cut the twin lascannons on the predator and put the autocannon turret instead, with the leftover points add demonic possession to make sure it fires every turn.

I personnaly hate screamers so I would take them out and add a Greater Demon instead, he flies also, he has access to wind of chaos and he's a tough nut to crack in cc.

Hope this helps a bit
    "Iron Within, Iron Without"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tzeentch and your list

1) Hmmm .... Your list - you are limiting yourself very severely. No terminators, no possessed, no discs for your lords, and only 1 unit of screamers = almost no mobility whatsoever.

You have four troop units. Tzeentch already has lots of wounds. You have an army that is nearly impossible to destroy, but most enemies don't have to. Manouverable enemies will smoke you on missions, like, for example, table quarters.

You have 3 heavy support choices, but 1, the pred, is a specialized anti-armor killer, and the dread just isn't that shooty. Tau, marines, guard, etc, will outshoot you. Even most 'nid armies will have better range that you do.

There isn't very much you can do though. Not if you aren't willing to buy buy buy (no I don't work for GW). You have bolt of change all over the place, which is great

2) On Tzeentch in general ...

I love the fluff, so I've been trying to field a decent Tzeentch army for a while.

First, things mentioned previously ...

Lord of Change - good HQ killer, with high initiative, but vulnerable like all greater deamons. Excellent mobility, but too fragile for my taste.

Screamers - I like these. I dunno why people dislike them. They are cheap and they hit hard and they have high initiative.

I would field:

HQ

Chaos Lord
    Chaos Armor
    Bolt of Change
    Winds of Chaos
    Personal Icon

ELITE (Retinue)

6-9x Possesssed
    AC w/ PF & Winds of Chaos
    2x Possesed w/ Bolt of Change

TROOPS

You know what to do here. Maybe 3 units, instead of four. Drop the counter-assault unit, since we're including possessed.

FAST ATTACK

2x units of 10 screamers.

HEAVY SUPPORT

You could field 3 dreads with daemonic possession, plasma cannons and missile launchers. Those things will all spit out four templates on fire frenzy.

You could also field 2 defilers and a predator. Either way, you need more points here.

Sabre
    Last edited by Sabrewulf; July 5th, 2006 at 04:27.
    Comfirmed Disciple of Chaos

Rogue Angel: "Meet da Chaos Lord"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Terminators. They can Deep Strike, correct? A little bait&switch - people will deploy to counter the blocks of indestructable Rubric Marines. That should leave them vulnerable to being pounded by your massive, unkillable 2-wound terminators. Plus, reaper-autocannons can add some firepower. If I remember, Tzentch possesed don't get the extra wound - unfortunate.

Librarian from Hell Andusciassus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    746 (x8)

I like this list but Sabrewolf is right, you'll need some more mobility.
    I would make the HQ a shooty one and drop all the fancy stuff, leave them HQ's for the other legions. Just give him

Power Weapon,
    BoC
    and 4 thralls

and stick him in a squad where the Champion also uses BoC. This is known as a TS-havoc squad, it'll shoot anything that comes in it's way. If you are to meet a horde, just swap BoC for Doombolt.

You should however have some CC-ability in your army and the GGoC/WoC-sqads are great for this. What they (You should in a 1850-list have two of theese) need are Rhinos. It is often worth to drop some Rubrics (and the sacred number) to squeeze in a couple of extra Thralls in those units. Maybe something like this:

7 Rubrics (incl. champ)
    Powerfist, D.mutation, GoC/Fam/WoC 3 Thralls + Rhino (extra armour and Smoke)

You could also change one of the Rubric squads for a five man Rubric-terminator squad:
    Your squad 271p

5 Terminators (upgraded rubrics)
    Champ
    Chainfist
    free Power weapon
    D. mutation
    Wind of chaos (or Gift..or doombolt + D.str)
    271p

This unit might deepstrike and cause some serious havoc amongst your enemies.

@Sabrewolf Possessed are way to expensive, fragile and cannot have BoC (other then the champ) nor be used as retinues.

Hmm.... I would take some points from the HQ, swap one unit of Rubrics for Termies and split one unit into two 4 rubrics+CC-Champ G/W/Familiar+PF+d.mutation and put those in Rhinos if the points sufice. Any leftover points (from the Lord or possibly even the Screamers) should be used to bolster the numbers in the Rhino-squads.

Good luck mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

283 (x6)

Thanks guys! I'll prolly put up a second revision soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by «hô*šÞìkë18»
    Champ - Powerfist, Bolt Pistol, Summoning Icon, Wind and Gift of Chaos, Thralls x2, Warp Focus
    Overall the advice that's been given seems spot on to me, however, I wanted to ask about why Warp Focus was included on this champ? My understanding is that Warp Focus is useless with Wind of Chaos, as WoC is a template spell and so doesn't really have a 'range' that can be added to. Always possible I'm wrong (in which case I'll have to start using that combination :shifty, but I believe that's a few points that would be better used else where.
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast