2000 Balanced Alpha Legion Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

2000 Balanced Alpha Legion Friendly

Hey, im developing a balanced CSM list, one where you dont have to rely on cc or shooting, just a list to have fun with tactics yet still be competitive... w/o further aou, here it is so far...... btw it's alpha legion....

HQ
    Daemon Prince: daemonic venom, daemonic speed, daemonic aura, daemonic mutation, daemonic essence, daemonic stature, daemonic strength, daemonic resilience, spiky bits = 170pts

this guy is your typical Uber Daemon prince. I know i could have ditched stature and infiltrated him, but i love stature in fluff and how much better it helps you even if you cant infiltrate. also, he's still fast enough to catch up and wont be out on his own. As for venom, its only 3 pts more than 2 x ccw and makes him effective against talos' carnie's and wraithlords.

ELITES
    3 x Obliterators = 210pts

No explanation needed here

TROOPS
    12 x CSM: Asp Champion w/ power fist, 2 x meltas, 9 with bolt pistols and ccw. all with infiltrate = 228pts

Basic core of the army, decent in cc and can still knock out tanks

12 x CSM: Asp Champion w/ power fist, 2 x meltas, 9 with bolt pistols and ccw. all with infiltrate = 228pts

Same as above

6 x CSM: Infiltrate, 4 x bolters, 2 x plasma guns = 110pts
    Cheap anti MEQ fire support, covering fire for the first 2 squads.

10 x Cultists: MoCu, Unit Icon = 70pts

I split the cultists into 2 units to prevent "putting all your eggs in one basket" and provide more summoning flexibility as well as more targets.

FAST ATTACK
    8 x CSM Raptors: MoCu, infiltrate, furious charge, 2 x meltas, asp champion w/ power weapon, daemonic strength, daemonic mutation = 330pts
    Okay, so i splurged a lil on the asp champion, but they're raptors, they're expensive anyways. I went with a pair of meltas for tank busting opportunities, and furious charge since because of Hit and Run they are almost always charging.

10 x Furies = 150pts
    Cheap, fast moving daemons, plus plenty of attacks on the charge at good strength, what's not to like?

HEAVY SUPPORT
    8 x CSM Havocs: MoCu, Infiltrate, 4 x bolters, 4 x missile launchers = 208pts

Predator: Autocannon, 2 x Heavy Bolters, extra armour, smoke = 118pts
    Cheap tank that fills in a hole in the "crowd control" department

ARMY TOTAL = 2002pts

1 HQ
    1 ELITE
    6 TROOPS
    2 FAST ATTACK
    2 HEAVY SUPORT

So, whaddaya think? strengths? weaknesses? do i need more shooting or cc units? what to change?

thanks

Last edited by gen.nehring; July 11th, 2006 at 02:02.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hey there gen. Here are my thoughts on your list. I like it, but there are a few tweaks I would suggest to make it more functional and tactically flexable.

Quote Originally Posted by gen.nehring
    Hey, im developing a balanced CSM list, one where you dont have to rely on cc or shooting, just a list to have fun with tactics yet still be competitive... w/o further aou, here it is so far...... btw it's alpha legion....

HQ
    Daemon Prince: 2 x ccw, daemonic venom, daemonic speed, daemonic aura, daemonic mutation, daemonic essence, daemonic stature, daemonic strength, daemonic resilience, spiky bits = 170pts

this guy is your typical Uber Daemon prince. I know i could have ditched stature and infiltrated him, but i love stature in fluff and how much better it helps you even if you cant infiltrate. also, he's still fast enough to catch up and wont be out on his own. As for venom, its only 3 pts more than 2 x ccw and makes him effective against talos' carnie's and wraithlords.
    The problem with this guy going against stuff like talos' and wraithlords is that they both have str 10 cc attacks, don't they?(I know the WL does for sure, I don't remember the talos' stats) and if you don't kill it outright on the charge chances are, it will splatter him.
    To make him a monster against those guys, I would suggest a darkblade instead of venom or speed. That would make him str8 base, add furious charge, and he is str9 on the charge.
    I would put those on in place of essence,resilience, spikey bits. Things that are going to have a hard time hurting him will already be disadvantaged, and things that are "designed" to kill something like him will already have to roll 2's to hurt/splat him. Railguns DCCWs and the like will be your worst fears. With speed he should be in CC turn 3 at the latest.

ELITES
    3 x Obliterators = 210pts

and no critique needed

TROOPS

Basic core of the army, decent in cc and can still knock out tanks

Same as above
    I would bust these guys down to 3 squads of 8 CSMs
    redundancy and flexability, even if you only have them with CCW+ BP AC+Powerfist.
    though I would find the points for the meltas.

standard, good'n cheap.

I split the cultists into 2 units to prevent "putting all your eggs in one basket" and provide more summoning flexibility as well as more targets.
    Cultists, I have found that having them in numbers under 15 in the squad makes them utterly useless. I assume they have "assasins" ability as most people put on them.
    consolidate them into one unit of 20 or 15, buy the champion d.talons, spikey bits, D.strength, mutation. now he's a genestealer with 20 lives.

FAST ATTACK
    8 x CSM Raptors: MoCu, infiltrate, furious charge, 2 x meltas, asp champion w/ power weapon, daemonic strength, daemonic mutation = 330pts
    Okay, so i splurged a lil on the asp champion, but they're raptors, they're expensive anyways. I went with a pair of meltas for tank busting opportunities, and furious charge since because of Hit and Run they are almost always charging.
    Nothing overly expensive here, this is the kit-out that I suggest people to take all the time.
    I would conisder dropping one to conserve points, but 8 is a dern fine number.

10 x Furies = 150pts
    Cheap, fast moving daemons, plus plenty of attacks on the charge at good strength, what's not to like?
    I'm sorry, but us Alpha boys cannot have daemonic beasts. No furies or their ilk.
    Only daemon packs. Perhaps a squad of 6 daemonettes for 90pts would be a better option here.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    8 x CSM Havocs: MoCu, Infiltrate, 4 x bolters, 4 x missile launchers = 208pts
    tank hunters, tank hunters tank hunters, its that important. if you're going to pay the price for these guys make them fully awesome. Str8 base is nice, but only 4 shots at str8 makes me uneasy against AV13/14. I'll take a second to plug my favorite unit- 4x autocannons with tankhunters. They're just that awesome.

Predator: Autocannon, 2 x Heavy Bolters, extra armour, smoke = 118pts
    Cheap tank that fills in a hole in the "crowd control" department
    Just fine. Though I would sac this one for some of the upgrades above and tweaks if it comes down to it. Having it the only tank in your army makes it an easy target since all of the anti-tank in the oposing force will be gunning for it.

ARMY TOTAL = 2002pts

1 HQ
    1 ELITE
    6 TROOPS
    2 FAST ATTACK
    2 HEAVY SUPORT

So, whaddaya think? strengths? weaknesses? do i need more shooting or cc units? what to change?

thanks
    There, looks good! Those suggestions will help you in the long run for tactical flexability and
    overall fun and strength of the list.
    Last edited by theyak; July 10th, 2006 at 20:39.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak

Cultists, I have found that having them in numbers under 15 in the squad makes them utterly useless. I assume they have "assasins" ability as most people put on them.
    consolidate them into one unit of 20 or 15, buy the champion d.talons, spikey bits, D.strength, mutation. now he's a genestealer with 20 lives.
    I really like this idea. Pure gold. Like the mutant boss w/ power-fist that everyone uses in an LaTD army, but cheaper and more dangerous.

Sabre
    Comfirmed Disciple of Chaos

Rogue Angel: "Meet da Chaos Lord"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

it is. I've put several wounds on a carnifex with these guys. I found they work best against really big tough things that don't like the small stuff anyhow, but NOW they bite back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good comments so far, then only thing I would add is that Furies aren't allowed in a Alpha Legion Army. I made the same mistake at first, but if you look at their entry it only allows for Daemonic Packs not Beasts. On the plus side you could use those points to bump up your cultist numbers, use 4 Autocannons in your havok squad, or trade them for daemonettes which are the same cost and also very effective.

The thing to be careful of however is maxing out your troop choices (6) which is easy to do when using cultists and daemons. Since you have an extra Heavy Support slot you could convert one of your troops squads into Havoks at a penalty of 5 pts per meltagun or plasma gun, which isn't to bad considering you could now field up to 4 special weapons in that squad and include a daemon pack as another troop choice.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

thats a bummer on the daemon packs but no biggy. i was considering swapping out them anyways for either daemonettes or flamers. ( i'll have to make the cultists one nice big squad. but im not seeing the point of d-strength on the cultist leader..... if he doesnt get kills from rending then he's not gonna do much at all. i do like talons and mutation tho.

as for the d-prince.... the problem with dark blade and furious charge is thats an extra 39pts, whereas its 3 for venom upgrading from 2 x ccw. also, i for sure wouldnt charge a w-lord unless he had at most 2 wounds left, but probab;y only if he had one. its sort of a "mop up" or "just in case" set up

thx for the help, ill post up v.2 soon.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

also.... why have only 6 daemonettes? i thought favoured daemon packs +1 summoning only applies to that book if you're doing one?
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

no particular reason for the 6 daemonettes, other than it is a very cheap and effective unit, and it feels fluffy, even if it isn't a cult list.

Gotcha on the D.blade, I just like having my really expensive leaders able to squash stuff like that to wipe the smile off of eldar 3x wraith lord fielding goons.
    6(7 if you count spikey bits) attacks on the charge, hitting on 3s wounding on 3s statistically will kill a wraith lord on the charge before the wraith lord even gets to retaliate.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't do drugs
    Last edited by tupton79; July 11th, 2006 at 00:17.

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

where does it say that monstrous creatures can carry two handed weapons as one handed? maybe i missed that over in the rulebook because i have never heard of that before.
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast