1850 - Alpha Legion - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

1850 - Alpha Legion

Since I've gotten back into 40k almost a year ago, I've been playing Tyranids solely. The other army I've always been interested in was Chaos, so I got the codex and have been experimenting some. I wanted to make a shooty list for the most part as a change from the bugs, but didn't want to go the cheesy 6+ oblit, 1 bassy, defiler, 2 havoc IW route... Looking at an all marine + non-statured prince infiltrating Alpha Legion.

I'm interested in opinions from those who have experience with Chaos on how they think it would do:

HQ:
    Daemon Prince - 182
    - Aura, Flight, Mutation, Strength, Frag, Dark Blade, BP, MoCU, Spiky Bits, Furious Charge, and Infiltrate.

Elite:
    3xOblits - 210

Troops:
    8xAlpha Legion Marines - 153
    - Las Cannon, Plasma Gun, MoCU, Infiltrate

5xAlpha Legion Marines - 105

Fast Attack:
    6xRaptors (5+AC) - 264
    - MoCU, 3 Melta, Infiltrate, AC with Mutation, Spiky Bits, Power Fist

Heavy Support:
    8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 232
    - MoCU, 4 Auto Cannons, Tank Hunters, Infiltrate

8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 208
    - MoCU, 4 ML, Infiltrate

8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 188
    - MoCU, 4 HB, Infiltrate

1848 points, 63 models.

The way I figure it, against assault-based armies I'd infiltrate as far back as possible and shoot them as much as I can while they head towards me.. After that, use the DP+Raptors as a counter assault unit (DP insta-killing T4 at I6 on the charge). Against a very shooty heavy list, I'd deploy on one flank and try to sweep down with firepower and the DP+Raptors. My concern, though, is the raptors are quite a few points for only 6 models.

With 4-7 las cannons (depending on oblit targetting needs), Land Raiders and Monoliths shouldn't be too much of a problem... and lower armor tanks should be popped easily, too, with the tank hunting AC's + ML's. Or against horde armies, the 4 HB, 4 AC, and 3 HB Oblits can thin down numbers quick.

Anything I'm missing?

Replies will be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hello moob, and welcome to the power that is the Alpha legion!
    I'll give you my thoughs on your list.
    Quote Originally Posted by moob
    Since I've gotten back into 40k almost a year ago, I've been playing Tyranids solely. The other army I've always been interested in was Chaos, so I got the codex and have been experimenting some. I wanted to make a shooty list for the most part as a change from the bugs, but didn't want to go the cheesy 6+ oblit, 1 bassy, defiler, 2 havoc IW route... Looking at an all marine + non-statured prince infiltrating Alpha Legion.

I'm interested in opinions from those who have experience with Chaos on how they think it would do:

HQ:
    Daemon Prince - 182
    - Aura, Flight, Mutation, Strength, Frag, Dark Blade, BP, MoCU, Spiky Bits, Furious Charge, and Infiltrate.
    He's a bit pricy for what you will be using him for, and you should expect him to die by turn 2 or 3 in 80 to 90% of the games. He's an excellent HQ hunter that needs to be used carfully, or he will get popped.

I would switch flight to speed, a better possible charge distance, and the 12'' charge usually really throws people off balance. I would go with either mutation or spikey bits, but not both.

Elite:
    3xOblits - 210
    Most excellent, oblits are an awesome bait unit. Since the rest of your army is going to be infiltrating, put them somewhere out of LOS, but in an enticing location that the enemy will try to gain LOS to so that if the oblits move they can shoot. This will get them to commit troops to areas where you might be able to get an advantage.

Troops:

5xAlpha Legion Marines - 105
    going for the cheap lascannon is interesting. I would may be dedicate a pair of squads to this role, but you NEED assault support, you will NOT be able to wipe out all assault armies before they get to you, and without some sort of punch they will just be free VPs.

At least commit 8 men with an Aspiring champion with a Powerfist. Even if yo ukeep them all with the lascannons, putting the AC with PF in there assures you some recourse not IF, but WHEN they get assaulted.

My suggestion:
    With 2 squads- go with what you have above, lascannon, and plasma gun, add a Aspiring champion with PF.

with the next 2 squads, 8-man all CCW+BP and 2x Meltaguns. mobile assault. keep them near your gun-line and when the oponent gets in assault range, hop out, hose something down with the meltas and then assault. I do this against tyranids all the time.
    Even carnifexes go down to 4x melta, 4 plasma and then 8 powerfist attacks following it up.

Fast Attack:
    6xRaptors (5+AC) - 264
    - MoCU, 3 Melta, Infiltrate, AC with Mutation, Spiky Bits, Power Fist
    Raptors need to be fielded in larger squads of at LEAST 7. at 1850, my favorite build with them is the following: 8 raptors, 2meltaguns, 1 AC with daemonic strength, mutation, power weapon. All with infiltrate and furious charge. These guys are deadly, they hop-assault(with hit and run) and can cross the board to get to virtually any target in 2 turns.
    You need numbers with them for 2 reasons- 1 cannon fodder, 2 they will be assaulting as well as shooting, they NEED to be able to take casualties and assault and survive the assault. With the great move distance, just be sure you charge so you only engage 2 maybe 3 models total, to wipe out the killzone and consolidate. That way you only need to worry about taking attrition on the oponent's turn, then you hit and run towards a juicy target.

Heavy Support:
    8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 232
    - MoCU, 4 Auto Cannons, Tank Hunters, Infiltrate
    WOOT! awesome.
    I love these guys, I have a pair of squads just like this.

8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 208
    - MoCU, 4 ML, Infiltrate
    very sound and strong choice, annot fault it. It mixes it up quite nicely. They should really have tankhunters though, otherwise they are worse than the above squad against tanks.

8xAlpha Legion Havocs - 188
    - MoCU, 4 HB, Infiltrate
    um... I would much rather see more troops than a heavy bolter havoc squad though it would help with volume of fire would help against certain oponents, I would make the rest of your army sound. If you want more volume of fire, instead of the lascannons, give them heavy bolters in the troops above, much cheaper and they work(I use them very successfully)

I'd break this squad up to make the rest of the things stronger. You already have lascannons in the oblits, and they are excellent.

1848 points, 63 models.

The way I figure it, against assault-based armies I'd infiltrate as far back as possible and shoot them as much as I can while they head towards me.. After that, use the DP+Raptors as a counter assault unit (DP insta-killing T4 at I6 on the charge). Against a very shooty heavy list, I'd deploy on one flank and try to sweep down with firepower and the DP+Raptors. My concern, though, is the raptors are quite a few points for only 6 models.

With 4-7 las cannons (depending on oblit targetting needs), Land Raiders and Monoliths shouldn't be too much of a problem... and lower armor tanks should be popped easily, too, with the tank hunting AC's + ML's. Or against horde armies, the 4 HB, 4 AC, and 3 HB Oblits can thin down numbers quick.

Anything I'm missing?

Replies will be much appreciated.
    Very sound army concept, in fact its the same one I use, only I make sure that when the enemy DOES get to me, and they WILL, that I won't be a sitting duck. Trust me even with 4 heavy bolters, what happens when they effectively dodge LOS by move, fleet and charge?

I urge you to check out my blog, It has my alpha legion army design, list and battle reports, I've been told it is very useful for people looking to start Alpha legion.

Hope this helps!
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Beside the few illegal elements of your army it is very good.

Models with a mark of chaos can only have one veteran skill. That means your DP and havocs are illegal, drop their MoCU and give the DP d.speed instead of flight.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

No, helbrecht. In Alpha legion, infiltrate does not count against the limit for veteran skills.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Interesting, Signor Yak, that you call him in about the Daemon prince, despite him being under 10% of the attack force.
    I would have thought that in larger forces you could afford to make the HQ slightly fatter. Still, one lives and learns

Kudos to moob for not using a statured prince in Alpha legion.
    I would sacrifice the small las cannon squad to get a Powerfist in your three squads.

The H.Bolter guys should maybe be sacrificed to beef out raptors and get tank hunters for Missile launcher guys?
    I dunno about the H.Bolters guys though. I'm working on another list at the moment and I have a squad of very similar havocs and they sound interesting...
    One thing you could do though, is have them with plasma/melta instead of H.bolters, the cost is the same and if you use them offensively, they'll make their points back before being slaughtered.

Good luck moob
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by theyak
    No, helbrecht. In Alpha legion, infiltrate does not count against the limit for veteran skills.
    My mistake.
    Xbox Gamertag: x Helbrecht x

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but didn't want to go the cheesy 6+ oblit, 1 bassy, defiler, 2 havoc IW route...
    GRRRRRRR...Not all IW armie's are that cheesy.

Seriously though, theyak and Karmoon are spot on.. Your squad's are seriously short of any kind of close combat ability (hidden powerfist's are a wonderful thing), and your Raptor squad seem's kind of under strength(I've tried the smaller size squad's myself and the lack of wound's IS a problem).Ditching the HB squad should give you more than enough point's to make any change's.

MD
    ''It begs the question; why would the emperor permit something quite so dangerous and untamed to exist? And that would be to take down another Space Marine Legion."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385 (x8)

It is true that it lies under the 10% rule, but I've playtested a lot of different prince builds for my Alpha list, including one very similar to the one in this army, and they ALL die just the same, with the more expensive ones, it was more points lost.
    The "basic" build was just as effective as the more expensive versions of them, the few more attacks did not help with survivability or effectiveness.
    Remember that you don't want him to be uber destructo on first turn. wiping out a squad will usually leaves him dangling as the closest target available. Best case senario is like with the raptors, engage one or two(maybe three) models in the killzone and wipe them out for no
    return attacks, allow your forward assault elements to then come and bail him out the next turn(either the raptors, who can hit and run to do this, or an assault squad) and consolidate so your lord cannot be targetted. Rinse and repeat.

I encourage you to play the army as you see fit, I'm just speaking from the experience of what has worked for my army.

Good luck!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I will definitely play test the changes recommended.

+ Reply to Thread