Librarium Online Forums banner

First Alpha Legion list - 1850 pts

426 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  theyak 
#1 ·
Finally, I am putting my Alpha Legion army up! Feel free to double check my math and please let me know if it isn't easy to read! I do care about these things.

Alpha Legion - 1850 pts.

HQ
Hezekial, Cell Commander (161 pts) - Chaos Lord, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Dark Blade, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Aura, Daemonic Strength, Daemonic Speed, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.

ELITES
Obliterators (210 pts) - 3 Obliterators

TROOPS
Chaos Space Marines (200 pts) - 7 CSMs w/ Bolt Pistol and CCW, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.

Chaos Space Marines (200 pts) - 7 CSMs w/ Bolt Pistol and CCW, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.

Chaos Space Marines (171pts) - 7 CSMs w/ Bolter or Bolt Pistol and CCW, Plasma Gun, Heavy bolter, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate.

Chaos Space Marines (171pts) - 7 CSMs w/ Bolter or Bolt Pistol and CCW, Plasma Gun, Heavy bolter, Aspiring Champion w/ Powerfist, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate.

FAST ATTACK
Chaos Raptors (286 pts) - 6 Raptors, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Power Weapon, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.

HEAVY SUPPORT
Chaos Havocs (232 pts) - 8 CSMs, 4 Autocannons, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Tank Hunters.

Chaos Havocs (232 pts) - 8 CSMs, 4 Autocannons, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Tank Hunters.

NOTES:
As you can see, this army is very infantry heavy, as I envision the Alpha Legion. I like the idea of my (almost) entire force infiltrating. I wanted to go with a stealthy, specialized unit, even able to move their havocs into position before the enemy is made aware of their presence.

Half of the CSM squads are designed for assault, while the others support and jump in the fray, if necessary. They all have a hidden powerfist to make an opponent think twice before assaulting them. Everyone has several veteran skills to make my units highly specialized, once again keeping to my theme.

The Raptors attack targets like heavy weapons teams, low-leadership HQs and light skinned vehicles. They are specialized, yet general purpose. I wish I could put a pair of lightning claws on the AC, but that would make him 72 points! Yikes! :O I look forward to their application

The Obliterators are pretty straightforward in their use. I want to make the maximum use of their deep striking ability, and just let them meander along, spewing death at my enemies.

* I must thank The Yak for his awesome help with some Alpha Legion tactical questions. I think this list is almost identical to his own, if not exactly. We think much alike in our love for autocannons + tank hunters! A lot of the credit for the list must go to him. Therefore, any praise of the above info should keep him in mind. :yes:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Greta list, almost identical to my 1500 Point list, just with the additions of Raptors, 2 squads of AC Havocs instead of 1 AC one plasma, and Furious Charge. I must say, I love the build, and wish you luck.

#3 ·
~Captain american and his mighty shield~
What can I say? That's a hot list, very very hard to find anything even questionable with.

The only very nit picking thing i can think of is.. according to 'The Yak' mantra, raptors are best fielded with more bodies - about 8.
The conundrum is.. what the hell do you take out of that list???

Personally, I say leave it as it is, go forth and crush all who oppose, you can then build on the Yak's teachings and alter the list so it suits your own personal playing style even more.

I pity the poor git that comes up against this list.

#4 ·
Karmoon said:
~The only very nit picking thing i can think of is.. according to 'The Yak' mantra, raptors are best fielded with more bodies - about 8.
The conundrum is.. what the hell do you take out of that list???
Heh, I bashed my head against the same problem for a while. I started the list with 8 raptors. They die just like normal CSMs, despite their mobility and bodies means resilience when numbers are so precious. Yet, another raptor pushed me over the threshold far too much.

I played with the list, but there aren't any empty points in the army to begin with. Everything has a purpose. Nothing bothers me about it. So there wasn't anything to sacrifice. I convinced myself that I would have to be a bit more disciplined with the application of said Raptors and I trashed one of them. If I play a 2000 pt list later on, you can bet that I'll have at least one more raptor in the mix!

And MAYBE a dreadnought. Thats as far into the realm of armor that I am willing to go. As is, I don't see the dread' fitting in with my plans with this army. Its a very "In your face" battle plan and a large, lumbering weapons platform hustling to keep up is just begging to be passed over!

Thanks for the advice so far, guys! It's time to start painting!

#5 ·
If I'm not mistaken, some of the point costs are off...

HQ
Hezekial, Cell Commander (161 pts) - Chaos Lord, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Dark Blade, Bolt Pistol, Daemonic Aura, Daemonic Strength, Daemonic Speed, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.
Unless something wasn't listed (such as spiky bits), this guy is only 151 points.... and begging for frag grenades. Daemonic Visage might be good, too. Especially to break high leadership opponents like Necrons.

FAST ATTACK
Chaos Raptors (286 pts) - 6 Raptors, 2 Meltaguns, Aspiring Champion w/ Power Weapon, Mark of Chaos Undivided, Infiltrate, Furious Charge.
If I'm reading this right in that 6 raptors + ac for 7 total, they are 274 points.

The total for the original costs listed in the post came out to 1863, with the 22 points extra added in, you're now at 1841.

#7 ·
Blech. I'll have to go over my math again! It would be a whole lot easier if I could post numbers! Oh well. :sleep: Lemme go over my figures again... Thanks for the heads up, in any case.

#8 ·
Captain America said:
NOTES:
As you can see, this army is very infantry heavy, as I envision the Alpha Legion. I like the idea of my (almost) entire force infiltrating. I wanted to go with a stealthy, specialized unit, even able to move their havocs into position before the enemy is made aware of their presence.

Half of the CSM squads are designed for assault, while the others support and jump in the fray, if necessary. They all have a hidden powerfist to make an opponent think twice before assaulting them. Everyone has several veteran skills to make my units highly specialized, once again keeping to my theme.
This combination works very well, it will cause a lot of hurtin, armies that try to assault you will take attrition all the way to your lines only to be squashed by powerfists(its beautiful)
Captain America said:
The Raptors attack targets like heavy weapons teams, low-leadership HQs and light skinned vehicles. They are specialized, yet general purpose. I wish I could put a pair of lightning claws on the AC, but that would make him 72 points! Yikes! :O I look forward to their application
Raptors are awesome. I see that you have already been advised to make them 8-man, but I have them at 7 man because there just isn't anywhere to squeeze the extra points for him until 2k points. They work just fine as they are. Just remember that raptors can hit and run TOWARDS an enemy or target :) very useful for covering large distances to reach targets.
Captain America said:
The Obliterators are pretty straightforward in their use. I want to make the maximum use of their deep striking ability, and just let them meander along, spewing death at my enemies.
Obliterators, I rarely if ever deep strike them, I usually see a target on the battlefield that I want taken out right away, and against other infiltrating armies, it really helps to have non infiltrators to "claim" areas where you don't have to worry about them coming up.
Captain America said:
* I must thank The Yak for his awesome help with some Alpha Legion tactical questions. I think this list is almost identical to his own, if not exactly. We think much alike in our love for autocannons + tank hunters! A lot of the credit for the list must go to him. Therefore, any praise of the above info should keep him in mind. :yes:
You're welcome and Thanks :)
But my list is also similar to many other lists out there, even though it evolved to this design all on its own, but I think its a testament to how well the design works, it will take you far.

#9 ·
Always remember that not all games use Infiltrate. You must make sure your army is suitable for Alpha level missions, and that your units are still useful with no Infiltrate.

Overall I like your list a lot. I'd replace the Meltas in the CSM units with Plasmas, and give the Raptors one more Melta. Otherwise great!

Best of luck.

Lord Ramon

#10 ·
Lord Ramon said:
Always remember that not all games use Infiltrate. You must make sure your army is suitable for Alpha level missions, and that your units are still useful with no Infiltrate.
This army rocks without infiltrate. Infiltrate is a handy tool that allows you to get a tactical edge, but even without it, its a SOLID very well balanced force.
Lord Ramon said:
Overall I like your list a lot. I'd replace the Meltas in the CSM units with Plasmas, and give the Raptors one more Melta. Otherwise great!
I would be very interested in what your suggestion to take out of the list would be to fit in this thrid melta.
That would completely defeat the purpose of the 2x meltagun squads. They are his assault element along with his raptors, by putting a pair of plasma guns, not only are you causing attrition damage to your self during the course of the game, you have to chose between shooting and assaulting, with the meltas you can do both.
Lord Ramon said:
Best of luck.

Lord Ramon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.