1500 Alpha Legion (Friendly**) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Alpha Legion (Friendly**)

I put Friendly with asterisks because eventually I will like to upgrade my experience to involve the occasional tournament.

I have two different Ideas for how to run this 1,500 points, and at this point in my skill level would appreciate any tearing apart you may give it.

HQ (Same for both)
    Daemon Prince - Aura, Resilience, Strength and Speed. Dark Blade and Bolt Pistol. Mark of Undivided(MoU), Infiltrate (hereby known as AI for Alpha Infilt.) and Furious Charge(FC).
    161 pts. (Not statured, but daemonically reflected as a Prince)

Elite
    3x Obliterators. 210 pts. (Idea A)
    Fast
    5 Chaos Raptors with MoU - AI, FC, 3 Meltas. 200 pts. (Idea

Troops
    8 CSM with MoU - AI, Furious Charge(FC), Flamer. A.C with Power Fist/BP 186 pts.
    8 CSM with MoU - AI, 2 Plasma Guns. A.C with Power Fist/BP 176 pts.
    7 CSM with MoU - AI, Lascannon. 127 pts.
    14 Cultists with MoU - Assassin Type, Champion with P. Weapon & D. Str. 118 pts.

Heavy
    6 Havocs with MoU - AI, Tank Hunter, 3 Autocannons. 174 pts.
    6 Havocs with MoU - AI, Tank Hunter, 3 Missile Launchers. 174 pts.

Idea A - 1500pts
    Idea B - 1490pts (would simply give the troops with Flamer a Meltagun to finish out the pts)

The Troops and Havocs are pretty static, and the Lord goes well in both - the only difference is the Oblits vs the Raptors + another melta.

Thoughts?

-Eclipse

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey man, glad to see another alpha legion player! i will try to give my impressions. but im rather new too. so i will be just giving what others have told me and stuff i've gained from posting here.

karmoon and theyak are the real experts and will help you a ton.

Quote Originally Posted by Memnoch Eclipse View Post

HQ (Same for both)
    Daemon Prince - Aura, Resilience, Strength and Speed. Dark Blade and Bolt Pistol. Mark of Undivided(MoU), Infiltrate (hereby known as AI for Alpha Infilt.) and Furious Charge(FC).
    ok, a little over the top. With dark blade you are hitting at s6 which is good enough for just about anything. and with furious charge it means s7 on the charge. unless you're planning on trying to take out rhinos with this guy the D strength is wasted. resilience is also not that important in most cases. you should be killing enough people on the charge to not even get hit back.

the only thing i would add is spiky bits. cheap and makes sure you get no chance of a fight back.

Elite
    Fast
    go with the obliterators. they just rock. also you realy only need two of them. and that frees up some points for other things.

Troops
    8 CSM with MoU - AI, Furious Charge(FC), Flamer. A.C with Power Fist/BP 186 pts.
    14 Cultists with MoU - Assassin Type, Champion with P. Weapon & D. Str. 118 pts.

not too bad (in my limited experiace) the only things i would say is that you should probably go with two flamers in the first unit.

also im not sure about the lascannon unit. with all the fire support you have i think it feels a little out of place in your list. maybe another assult list. or drop another mariene and infiltrate and have this unit help you have a foothold in your deployment zone.

Heavy
    i would probably say drop one squad an beef the others out to 8 in each with 4 heavy weapons in each. a solid 4 meat sheilds to soak up fire.

just my basic impressions. like i said before karmoon and theyak are allknowing about alpha legion. hopefully though you will have a fair bit of left over points and you can buy another mariene unit or alot more cultists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Too small for 1500 points. Drop and go with the Obliterators.

ok, a little over the top. With dark blade you are hitting at s6 which is good enough for just about anything. and with furious charge it means s7 on the charge. unless you're planning on trying to take out rhinos with this guy the D strength is wasted.
    Furious chrarge brings up the strength to 8, and the intiative to 6. Strength 8 and initiative 6 on the charge is powreful. I'd keep you rlord as it is. It's not too expnesive either.

Add another special weapon? Maybe a melta, or against hoard another flamer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hey there Memnoch, here' s my thoughts on your list. Overall I think its a great start.
    I put Friendly with asterisks because eventually I will like to upgrade my experience to involve the occasional tournament.

I have two different Ideas for how to run this 1,500 points, and at this point in my skill level would appreciate any tearing apart you may give it.

HQ (Same for both)
    Not bad, not bad at all. He's very much like the prince I use, only with resilience.
    Just keep aware that he's like a guided missile, he'll hit his target really hard, but then most likely blow up. He is a T4 killer, merciless destroyer of all space marine commanders(just one failed wound and *POP*, with the resilience he should be much better with the small troops because he can have a tendency to get overwhelmed too. He's really fun.

Elite
    Fast
    Go with the obliterators. 5 raptors will do ONE thing for you.... DIE.
    they're too expensive for this points level, they need a few more things to make them worth it, and 5 will just have them evaporate faster than they should. I reccomend waiting until 1850, and putting them in at 7 or 8 strong, with furious charge, the champ with d.strength and power weapon.

Troops
    Great to see the powerfists. Drop the lascannon and pick up another AC w/PF, or drop them down to 6, pick up a pair of plasmaguns for your plasma squad, and change your 8-strong to a meltagun squad. The reason for this is, count your plasma toting marines as automatic casualties, if not, then bonus, but they will most likely die to self destruction, make what ever squad they are a part of, cheap and minimal.

the 2-meltaguns will give you much more flexable tactical role for them, they can tank bust, they can monster-hose, and they can assault to boot.

Flamer.... your guys only move 6'' a turn, unless you get first turn, don't expect get to use it very often. I would pick up moremeltas here.

Heavy
    okay.. 3 squads of , kitted out appropriately, not bad, not bad at all. I'd bump up the ACs to 4 strong, 8-man squads. They need the volume of fire to make them worth it, perhaps at 1850, but this isn't shabby.

Idea A - 1500pts
    Idea B - 1490pts (would simply give the troops with Flamer a Meltagun to finish out the pts)

The Troops and Havocs are pretty static, and the Lord goes well in both - the only difference is the Oblits vs the Raptors + another melta.

Thoughts?

-Eclipse
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Eclipse, apologies as this comment is more aimed at the Yak.

Incidentally, the advice i would have given you is more or less a carbon copy of what Inquisitor Hause and The Yak said anyway, so it would just be an echo...

anyway,

Quote Originally Posted by The Yak aka Alpharius
    He's very much like the prince I use, only with resilience.
    Just keep aware that he's like a guided missile, he'll hit his target really hard, but then most likely blow up. He is a T4 killer, merciless destroyer of all space marine commanders(just one failed wound and *POP*, with the resilience he should be much better with the small troops because he can have a tendency to get overwhelmed too.
    If it's GEQs he's being swarmed by, i've had excellent results with d.resilience. 6s to wound with an armour save afterwards means that he's not that bad a survivor.

Naturally, his talents are best used elsewhere, like giving a wounded Hive Tyrant a darkblade enema.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At 1700, 1850 or 2000 - I would take 4-strong Havocs for each squad.
    I will indeed drop off the Raptors in favor of Oblits.
    I play against a ton of S3 opponents, so having that D. Resilience on my Lord will greatly decrease the amount of wounds he has to save with his 3+.

I hesitate to take off the Lascannon Troop choice, and there's only one reason for that...for some reason in every game I play, every time I put that Las model on the field - he blows something big to smithereens. Consider it a superstitious fluff choice...but I think he'll stay.

Also, if I play a 1700pt game, that first flamer squad will change to twin meltas, and I will beef up the squads with a bit more fodder - including the Havocs.

I play a lot of multiplayer games, and because of that I often have to face a horde army and a shooty army at the same time. (Nids, Guard and Eldar) The Flamer was tossed in because I only had 6 points left, hehe...but if he only gets to use it once a battle, and takes out a couple Genestealers/Gaunts, then it made back its points for now.

Overall though, it seems playable? I appreciate the suggestions, and you can consider those Raptors toast (I already ripped a couple to pieces to convert my Lord, hehe)

-Eclipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I was playing 1850 instead of 1500, what would you think of adding:

Elites - Chosen
    5 Chosen ACs in Power Armor
    All with:
    D. Speed, D. Talons, Furious Charge, Infiltrate, MoU and frags.
    = 240pts.

Or;

4 Chosen ACs in Power Armor
    All with:
    D. Speed, Furious Charge, Infiltrate, MoU and frags.
    1 Meltagun
    2 Power Weaps
    1 Power Fist
    = 217pts.

Or simply;

4 Chosen ACs in Power Armor
    D. Speed and Infiltrate.
    = 152 pts.

They die like marines though. Marines that cost a ton of points. If I could give them speed without making them an AC I'd be laughing, but it isn't possible.

I'm thinking these points could be spent WAY more effectively somewhere else, and that Lord will just have to take his chances on his own until the Cultists stroll up to say hi and act as meat-shields for a couple turns.

I'm thinking another Troops choice and simply beefing up the squads I already field would be more valuable than paper-weights to help out the Lord.

Anyone think the Lord would be better off with those Chosen?
    (I've convinced myself away from it about 98% so I almost don't even wanna post this, lol)

-Eclipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know it's lame-tastic to keep replying to my own thread, but I made a couple changes...I'd appreciate a re-evaluation from anybody (especially the resident Alpha experts )

OUT: Troop A's Furious Charge(24), A's Flamer (6), 1 Cultist (7)

IN: 2 Meltaguns for Troop A(20), 1 more Marine for Troop B due to plasma casualties(16), Frags for Lord(1)

I think that addresses the problems I had in there.
    I have a super-duper newb question though...due to me not being completely clear on this rule, I have simply stayed away from Plasma weapons. So to clear up everything in my mind, when you roll a '1' to hit with a plasma gun : a) the gun-carrier takes a wound, or; b) the squad takes a wound. ? Is it always going to be the gunner who goes down to over-heating?

Thanks, and once again my apologies for the newbie question. (my BGB is not in my possession)

-Eclipse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Plasma hey?

Well.. when you roll a 1 (or 1 or 2 if you're rapid firing) it's the model wielding the plasma gun that takes a wound with normal armour saves permitted.

As comedy as it would be, the scenario you suggest involves the plasma guy overheating his gun, panicking then chucking it to his mate, who catches it and melts down screaming, "you treacherous bar steward!" before throwing the gun back in his death throes.

For this reason also, it's VERY important to resolve the plasma gunner's shots one by one, especially in a plasma havoc squad.
    Otherwise it's entirely possible to lose 6 marines despite the fact that you only have 4 plasma marines.

I'll try and come back to the list in a bit...
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone say hot potato?
    I assume Morgan Freeman is the voice of the Emperor.
    My Painting Log! http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...nes-horde.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast