1850 Thousand Sons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Thousand Sons

Recently decided to try out a diffrent load out on my HQ and go more fluffy with favoured units. Decided to go with a large terminator unit since they can absorb a lot of fire as they advance. To deal with horde armies i have been using a defiler parked behind terrain to thin out their ranks. The preds are long range support to take out tanks and can then help thin out units with their bolters. Decided i disliked chaplains getting 4+ invulnerable saves and enemy hq's in general so i wanted something that could ignore it. Let me know what you think.(all models except the tanks have mark of tzeentch)

HQ
    Demon prince of Tzeentch- Demonic Aura, speed, Resilience, Strength, Stature, Visage
    Dreadaxe, CCW, spiky bits, frag grenades, Talisman of Tzeentch
    Psychic: gift of chaos cost:202

Troopsx2 (2 units kitted out exactly the same)
    8 thousand sons marines
    1 aspiring sorcerer champion-bolt pistol, powerfist, spiky bits
    Demonic Mutation
    Psychic: bolt of change
    Thrall wizardsx4 cost:301

Elite
    8 thousand sons terminators
    1 aspiring sorcerer champion- PW, powerfist, spiky bits, master crafter weapon
    Demonic mutation
    Psychic: bolt of change
    Thrall wizardsx4 cost: 468

Heavy
    predator-TL las, HB sponsons
    Daemonic Possession, Mutated Hull cost:180

predator-TL las, HB sponsons
    Deamonic Possession, mutated hull cost:180

Defiler-Indirect Fire, mutated hull, deamonic possession cost:205

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey solain, I'm hotspike18, one of the Thousand Sons players in the Chaos Forum. Yeah, sry, I'm using a friends account til mine gets fixed - dang temporary forum! Anyway, here's some advice, I hope it helps.

Daemon Prince - I'd say drop the talisman, it's only going to come in handy rarely, use the points on something else. Why dreadaxe? If I remember that's the 4+ wounding weapon right? I'd drop it and use Darkblade, very handy, and the Str 8 will let you insta-kill any T4 heroes you may encounter. Visage seems a bit odd, but I've never tried it out with the MC thing, so maybe it works. Also keep in mind that if you pick up some spawn with Gift of Chaos, you won't be able to use Daemonic Speed anymore.

Sons - Nice job, look great, if a little expensive.

Termies - Alright, the termies won't be able to Deep Strike if you give them thralls. Otherwise looks ok.

Vehicles - Drop the mutated hull on the defiler, it should be sitting in a corner anyway. Consider dropping it on the Pred as well. Though those look good, consider switching to the 2x Las/Auto combination but I think you'll be ok.

You don't have a lot of scoring units, think about dropping some points here or there to add some Daemons like Screamers or Flamers. With only three scoring units, it won't be hard for a smart opponent to deny you a lot of victory points.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cl30003000 View Post
    Hey solain, I'm hotspike18, one of the Thousand Sons experts in the Chaos Forum.
    no misleading information please.

Try asking Andusciassus if you need more help too :-)
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Knight of Goodlyness paladin777's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not much to say except that I used to field a very similar army (with no thralls, one pred, and not defiler). the rest of the army looks pretty good, except that in my experience, a demon prince in a 1ksons army often just isn't the best hq you can use as it often gets lit up like a christmas tree. but with 2 tanks, a defiler, and 9 termies on the field, maybe you will have enough to draw fire away from him. my only suggestion not previously stated. (however, of you feel like being extra fluffy on a different list, a Demon Prince and Lord of Change working together do very well at splitting fire between the two of them.)
    Originally Posted by Reinnon
    to be a thousand son general isn't a choice in gaming, its a state of mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

Personally, I think you have an extremely low model count, even for 1K Sons, and a lot of fat that can be trimmed from the army.

For instance, I'd start with Mutated Hull from the Predators and Defiler. I'd then knock the Sponsons up to Lascannons. You have standard troops that do anti-infantry work - Predators should be used to take out the tanks.

Next, I'd drop Gift of Chaos off the Prince. It's really not that great without Thralls, and even if you did create a Spawn, it'd only serve to slow down the Prince. Otherwise he looks fine, but he's going to be a huge target. In fact, he'll probably be one of the first things to die.

And now the Terminators. I honestly don't believe you need nine of them. That's a ton of points going into a single unit. Even dropping three puts you to a respectable sized Terminator squad.

Next on the list is the various upgrades on your Champions. I personally would drop them all (MC, Spiky Bits, Mutation), but leaving just one might be advisable. That in itself is a lot of points saved.

All of those upgrades combined should be enough to buy you a third group of Rubric marines with BoC Champion. If you come up a bit short, you can always drop a thrall or two, or use Doombolt instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice guys, the only reason i put mutated hull on everything is because it helps keep the tanks in the game for a long time. Also i used to have them as lascannon tanks, but i liked to be able to reposition my tanks and still fire all weapons, that and it allowed me to use cover if i didnt have first turn.(all las preds need open fire first turn to shoot all weapons) It just seemed like i was losing flexibility and points since tanks wouldnt stay there and get shot by 3 lascannons.

I agree with the low model count,but i'm used to it. the massive upgrades on the champions have helped them cut through enemy units, but i'll play with the points and see what else i can fit in.

to cl3000: the dreadaxe never needs worse than a 4+ to wound, but with str 6 helps me wound T4 models. As previously stated i face a lot of chaplain hqs so STR 8 doesnt help me out with instant death, i go with the dreadaxe so i can ignore all armor saves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Solain View Post
    to cl3000: the dreadaxe never needs worse than a 4+ to wound, but with str 6 helps me wound T4 models. As previously stated i face a lot of chaplain hqs so STR 8 doesnt help me out with instant death, i go with the dreadaxe so i can ignore all armor saves.
    The Chaos Warscythe combination is tried and tested.

However... S8 doesn't help you with instand death against Chaplains?

Am I missing something about chaplains.. or is Solain missing something about instant death?
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry about that, i usually play against my friend who has an adamantium mantle on his chappy, thus ignoring instant death and he has a knack for always passing his invuln. saves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took some of your advice and added another unit at the expense of upgrades and no mutated hull on preds, this gives me more bodies, but may reduce the staying power of the preds. I'll have to test it out to see.

HQ
    Demon prince-Daemonic Aura,Stature, Strength, Resilience, Speed
    Dreadaxe, CCW, spiky bits, frags pts: 172

x3 Troops(all the same)
    8 thousand sons
    1 champion-bolt of change, daemonic mutiation, powerfist, pistol
    x4 thrall wizards pts291 each

Elite
    5 thousand son terminators
    1 champion-bolt of change, daemonic mutation, PW, CCW
    x4 thrall wizards pts 330

Heavy