2000pt Iron warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Iron warriors

Yes i know its cheese...

D prince =207 pts Servo arm speed great weapon and the normal gifts

6x 5 man tactical squads 1 plas 1 las in each squad

3x 2 man oblit squads

1 bassie inderect fire

2 defilers inderect mutated hull

1 pred with las turret and bolter sponsons

any suggestions it comes up to be 1917 in all

Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truely judge whats sane.

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Memnark, so, what are you asking for with this list? Suggestions on composition, balance or how to fill it up to 2k?

First off, I have to say that I hate the min-maxed 5-man squads. I think a pair to trio at most would be appropriate for them.

I think the oblits are bang on.

and I absolutely hate the 4 heavy choice. config.

See, I don't see cheese, I see a mis-allocation of resource. What does the predator do for you that the lascannon squads, or the obliterators don't?

3 squads of oblits outclasses those 5-man squads,

Its complete sit back and shoot but what happens against infiltrating or skuttling/scouting, fast moving get in your face fast forces? The list will fold and quick. By turn 2, most of those forces will be within 36'' negating the indirect fire.

I realize its meant to be a "cheesy" list, but ugh... Any given unit here takes 2 casualties and checks to run away. 3 and they never regroup.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good start. If your looking to improve it here are some ideas.

Lord - Servo arm isnt worth the points, neither is great weapon. Use Mutation and darkblade if you want good replacements.

Marines - You need some counter charging abilities. Fast attack will rip through you otherwise. Take at least one melee squad (preferably more).

Heavy - I dont know what the predator is doing for you, you might want to re-evaluate it.

Take a melee squads or raptor squad. You need some counter charge and mobility. Also did you stature your lord? If so I wouldnt reccomend it because at this point level he will get shot to pieces (and he is 10% of your army)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what do you all think about going with a shooty Kai gun lord? And then adding more Oblitz?

also what dont you like the most about min max squads?

Last but not least what about dropping the Pred for another defiler or a havok squad?
    Last edited by Memnark51; February 2nd, 2007 at 01:29.
    Only the Insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truely judge whats sane.

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Memnark51 View Post
    what do you all think about going with a shooty Kai gun lord? And then adding more Oblitz?

also what dont you like the most about min max squads?

Last but not least what about dropping the Pred for another defiler or a havok squad?
    I like shooty kai gun lords a lot. They're cheap(you can even get away with a lieutenant)
    give him daemonic flight and a power weapon and have him hovering around your fire base to shoot and/or counter charge units.

For what I don't like most about the min max squads? Well, mainly what I already mentioned above, They don't have any real tactical flexability. When things are going your way, no problem, everything is awesome, but say ONE squad of assaulters makes it nearly intact to your fireline. can you honestly say any of those small squads will have the numbers or bite back to really even tie them up for a full round? Not really, at best you can hope that they don't die on your turn to allow for another fresh assault.

hope that helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well

From experience I have to say this is a really weak list. It will only do well against slow footslogging armies with low numbers, such as Tyranid Monstrous Creatures. Against any other opponent with a reasonable assault or speed capability you will get decimated. Furthermore, this list will even get outshot by other shooty lists.

I don't think min/max squads are bad but when they are your only troop choice you have a problem. Troops are the bread and butter of your army. I would suggest, if you have a five man squad, only taking a lascannon. Plasma guns will be useless for this squad as you won't be deploying anywhere near the front line with your lascannon, and if you are somewhat near the rear you will have to wait 2-4 turns for the plasma to be in range of anything. At any rate, 6 min/max squads is just too many. Consider that you only need to lose 2 men to force a moral test, and if you fail you will be off the board. Sure its good for spreading around the fire, but you really really need a counter assault presence.

For your heavy support, the predator doesn't really fit at all. If you want to go all pie plates thats fine just don't mix and match... you decrease your overall capability. With all defilers you just have to hope you get good cover and first turn. If you want to mix HS options I'd seriously consider a squad of TH AC havocs due to the sheer number of fast attack skimmer armies these days.

Your lord should make changes noted above, but I don't think he should be a kai flyer. You literally have no CC in this list at all... this would be a good niche for your lord to fill. My personal favorite comes in at 97 points and has Speed, Resilience, and a Dark Blade... a great counter assault unit or a mop up unit for when the enemy gets close to your lines.

6 obliterators isn't too many in a 2k list, but if you have to I'd drop two to add more rounded troops. If you like Plasma i'd recommend an 8 man squad with 2 plasma and an AC with Power Fist to serve as a counter assault unit. If you want a forward assault unit, switch to melta guns.

If you need any help feel free to post more as I deal with IW a lot and this forum has helped me a great deal in formulating solid lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

i think this list might need to be a little more balanced out.

D prince =207 pts Servo arm speed great weapon and the normal gifts
    again, its been said before, he is very expensive and will not survive long if he is your only close combat unit.

6x 5 man tactical squads 1 plas 1 las in each squad
    don't max out on 5 man squads just to fit as much las/plasma in your list as possible. its really overdoing it, and it will make for a very imobile/fragile army. take a few beefier squads instead that can actually survive, claim objectives, and do something besides stand and shoot.

3x 2 man oblit squads
    i guess 6 obliterators are ok, but you could go with a few less, especially in such a small game.

1 bassie inderect fire
    2 defilers inderect mutated hull
    i wouldn't take more than one ordinance weapon at all. again, its overkill.

anyway, i think you are missing the point of what creating a list is about. the point is not to fit as much lasercannons and ordinance into a list as possible.

furthermore, you army has several flaws.
    your whole army will pretty much just made to sit and shoot. you have practically no offensive power and no ability to claim objectives. someone once gave me some a very usefull bit of advice. he said that "no battle is ever won by just sitting and shooting". you have to get down and dirty, hit your opponent swift and hard while at the same time avoiding heavy losses. a truly effective list is one that can manage to tear the heart out of the enemies army and then claim the objective once thier opponent is broken and in pieces. i mean sure, this list will fair well against many opponents, but it lacks the potential to compete with most experianced gamers, who will be able to exploit its flaws.
    also, i think you may be forgeting that 40k is a game. and a game is meant to be fun for everyone who is playing. that means both you AND your opponent. remeber, winning isn't everything, and if you play a list like this(especially with three pieces of ordinance) your soon going to find out that no one will be wanting to play against you.

sorry if i sound like i'm being mean( , but thats just my two cents.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ alex i understand the "Fun" part of what you are saying But this is not a list i want to be "fun" i have a Ig and Bloodangles are just that its just what i want to play. Ex. im Ig is jungle fighter.
    I made this list for the simple fact of blowing stuff up with battle cannons and shooting losts of lascannons and makeing my oppent want to pick his army up and go home.(iplay with mostly freinds it ends up who can out do who)

As far as the army goes i think i will look at it this weekend mabe drops the Plasmas and Add in a raptor squad and keep the lord CC.. mabe make him Kai flier.

As far as the min max squads how would you guys structure your troop choice?

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the new list i cam up with

Chaos lord Darkblade resilence mutation flight aura plasma pistol -160pts

3x 2 man squads of Oblits 140 pts a squad

6x 5 man squads of marines 1 lascannon each squad (still the same minus the Plasma cannons) 85pts a squad

1x basilisk

2x defilers with Indirect and mutated hull 205pts each

5 man havok squad with 4x heavy bolters 130pts

Raptor squad
    champion with Plasma pistol and Power weapon

3x marines with meta guns
    1x marine

all with furious charge 220pts

Leaves me 15 points i think?

Armies
    Iron warriors
    Record 1-0-0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would you ever put plasma pistols on a lord or champion? Why?
    Its just an easy way to kill yourself. (sorry if that sounded mean, it didn't in my head)

I would also favor speed over flight on you lord as he isn't going to be doing anything in the shooting phase if you get rid of the plasma pistol (which you really should).

Other than that, put a gimmer in on the heavy bolter squad with the spare points and i think you might do ok.
    W/D/L
    Crimson Fists 0/0/0
    Dwarfs 0/0/0 (work in progress)
    Chaos Retired

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast