Alpha Legion and Mass Mutation (1500 points) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

Alpha Legion and Mass Mutation (1500 points)

I have today off for the most part so I'm spending some of it coming up with wacky Chaos army lists rather than doing something productive.

I was pondering a way to actually use the mass mutation power which is more effective the larger the unit it is used on is.

Unfortunately the really big CSM units cannot be transported and thus you suffer a loss of mobility.

Hence the Alpha Legion and their cheap infiltration comes in.

Once again, I don't actually expect to field this except in 'friendly' games. Its not very balanced at all.

Note that I'm giving the Raptors the cheap infiltrate skill as it says that it can be given to any Alpha Legion CSM in power armour on foot. Since the Raptors have daemonic flight I may be in error here.

If that were the case I'd dump the points spent on giving them infiltrate. They're fast enough as it is that it shouldn't matter.

HQ

Sorceror Lieutenant, Mass Mutation, Infiltrate, PW,BP, Daemon Strength-111 points.

Sorceror Lieutenant, Mass Mutation, Infiltrate, PW,BP, Daemon Strength-111 points.

Elite

1 Obliterator-70 points.

Troops

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF-370 points.

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF, Dae Vis-370 points.

Fast Attack

5 Raptors, infiltrate & furious charge, MoCU, AC, PW, Dae Str, Spiky Bits-208 points.

Heavy Support

Predator, Autocannon, 2 Lascannons, Extra Armour-130 points

Predator, Autocannon, 2 Lascannons, Extra Armour-130 points

Last edited by Grey; February 12th, 2007 at 21:11. Reason: Spelling.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    385 (x8)

Hi Grey, haven't seen you in a while! I'll give you my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I have today off for the most part so I'm spending some of it coming up with wacky Chaos army lists rather than doing something productive.

I was pondering a way to actually use the mass mutation power which is more effective the larger the unit it is used on is.

Unfortunately the really big CSM units cannot be transported and thus you suffer a loss of mobility.

Hence the Alpha Legion and their cheap infiltration comes in.

Once again, I don't actually expect to field this except in 'friendly' games. Its not very balanced at all.

Note that I'm giving the Raptors the cheap infiltrate skill as it says that it can be given to any Alpha Legion CSM in power armour on foot. Since the Raptors have daemonic flight I may be in error here.
    Raptors can indeed have infiltrate, they are dern useful with it.
    Though I don't think I'd use them at 1500pts, though, but let me look through your list before I set down my judgement.

If that were the case I'd dump the points spent on giving them infiltrate. They're fast enough as it is that it shouldn't matter.

HQ

Sorceror Lieutenant, Mass Mutation, Infiltrate, PW,BPl, Daemon Strength-111 points.

Sorceror Lieutenant, Mass Mutation, Infiltrate, PW,BPl, Daemon Strength-111 points.
    Good'n cheap. good.

Elite

1 Obliterator-70 points.
    2 would be better, but 1 is better than none.

Troops

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF-368 points.

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF-368 points.
    Yowzaaa! I really like it when people bring out the ol' legion style army building.
    Very nice, I'm assuming these guys are the targets for the mutation.
    Very nice.

Fast Attack

10 Raptors, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF-358 points.
    *Whistles*. wow... that's a lot of points sunk into one unit at 1500pts, man.
    I would consider dropping these guys for more marines and another obliterator instead.
    BUT, if you're going to use them, this is a pretty good kitout(with a few tweaks). Consider dropping 1 or two guys to give them all furious charge.

The AC. Drop the powerfist and give him a power weapon with daemonic strength instead.
    These guys are really pricy and should really be hunting stuff that they can out maneuver, and be faster than in combat to limit the damage they take back.
    Hit and run is a wonderful skill that you can make great use of when combined with furious charge.

Heavy Support

Predator, Autocannon, 2 Heavy bolters, Extra Armour-115 points
    Nice, good'n cheap. I like it, though sponson lascannons wouldn't be a bad choice and it would give a nice bite against armor.

I like the concept, I like the large squads

Hope this helps.
    W/D/L Eleventy trillion billion/NONE/ NONE - I am STILL rulezor!
    WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x3)

I agree that the raptors were over sized and thus overpriced.

I was originally thinking of giving one of the lieutenants daemonic flight so that he could choose what squad that he was enhancing but I seem to have lost track of that somehow.

I've the Raptors to a smaller squad focused soley on hth and saved enough points by doing so to buy a second predator upgrading them both to carry sponson lascannons and still buy Daemonic visage for the big CSM squad champions.
    Last edited by Grey; February 12th, 2007 at 21:12.
    "No one has a monopoly on wisdom."-S.W.G.

Fluff Master Clan initiate.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."-A.E.

"Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves."-C.

New 40K missions here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF-370 points.

20 CSM, CCW&BP, 2 melta guns, infiltrate skill, MoCU, AC, PF, Dae Vis-370 points.
    Does the first squad have D.vis as well?
    The list, like you said, isn't balanced but should be fun to play with.
    I was never keen on raptors, but they seem to form a important part of your list so I'm gonna leave 'em.

Anything else I would say would just be copying theyak, so thats all.
    W/D/L
    Crimson Fists 0/0/0
    Dwarfs 0/0/0 (work in progress)
    Chaos Retired

+ Reply to Thread