Alpha Legion (cultist) 1250 Friendly - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha Legion (cultist) 1250 Friendly

Hey Fellow Alpha Legionnaires (and Chaos Brothers)!

I hope I'm not being too annoying with these lists, but I'm learning the nuances of the AL and wanted to figure out how to add the "fluff" (the MAIN reason I chose AL in the first place) back into my army at higher points.

I've tried a few 1000 pt lists with cultists, and against a strong CC army (like blood angels), they never get to charge due to slow mobility, and against a shooty army, they get shot up by anything with AP (which is EVERYTHING for a shooty army). Thus, their main purpose is to summon the Daemonettes, who have earn their points worth in every battle I've fought! :yes: I think the Rabbit or Caluin mentioned that I was spending too many points on cultists to summon one squad of daemons, thus my 1000 pt list and 1250 pt list in the other threads

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ndly-game.html (Alpha Legion 1250 pt friendly game)

I've started to play with non-cultist lists. But in the end, I did spend $$$ to buy the cultist models, and will probably spend countless hours converting them, so I do want to make the investment worth it.

With that said, it's not just the list I would like comments on, but also HOW to effectively use cultists AND daemons in AL lists, with the limitation of only 6 troop slots and cultists having icons. Thanks in advance!

Chaos Lieut - 122 pts
    - MoCU
    - Dark Blade/B Pistol
    - D Speed/Resilience
    - Spiky Bits
    - Infiltrate
    - Frag Grenades
    - Teleport Homer

1 Assault CSM - 229 pts

- All MoCU, All Infiltrate, all furious charge (removed frag grenades since their purpose is counter charging)
    - 8 CSM with BP/CCW, and 2 of them meltas
    - Asp Champ with D Mutation, Power Fist/Pistol

1 Shooting CSM - 116 pts
    - All MoCU, Infiltrate
    - 6 CSM with 4 bolters, 2 plasma gun
    (wandering around and dealing out lots of rapid fire, with the CC unit following and counter assaulting if necessary.

2 Oblits - 140 pts

8 Havocs - 213 pts
    - All with MoCU, Infiltrate, Tank Hunters
    - 4 bolters and 4 autocannons

2 x 16 Cultists - 127 pts each
    - All with Assassin's kit (infiltrate, furious charge)
    - Champ with power weapon (will try to add in D Mutation/D Strength/spikey bits in the future when I master having the cultists survive long enough to use this champ)

6 Bloodletters - 156 pts
    (yeah, expensive, but either this or 10 Daemonettes (150), so I want to try them out once. On paper, they're more survivable, deals out the same amount of kills to a typical MEQ on the charge, but AFTER the charge they kill 1-2 more MEQs than Daemonettes, which makes me think they're a bit better)

1249 pts

That's it. At least 2 cultists units to survive until the daemons come in, and when the daemons come in, if the cultists are still alive, they go with the daemons to support them and decrease the possibility of being outnumbered.

Comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Oldie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x3)

My 2 Cents

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Visharron View Post
    Hey Fellow Alpha Legionnaires (and Chaos Brothers)!

I hope I'm not being too annoying with these lists, but I'm learning the nuances of the AL and wanted to figure out how to add the "fluff" (the MAIN reason I chose AL in the first place) back into my army at higher points.

I've tried a few 1000 pt lists with cultists, and against a strong CC army (like blood angels), they never get to charge due to slow mobility, and against a shooty army, they get shot up by anything with AP (which is EVERYTHING for a shooty army). Thus, their main purpose is to summon the Daemonettes, who have earn their points worth in every battle I've fought! :yes: I think the Rabbit or Caluin mentioned that I was spending too many points on cultists to summon one squad of daemons, thus my 1000 pt list and 1250 pt list in the other threads

I've started to play with non-cultist lists. But in the end, I did spend $$$ to buy the cultist models, and will probably spend countless hours converting them, so I do want to make the investment worth it.

With that said, it's not just the list I would like comments on, but also HOW to effectively use cultists AND daemons in AL lists, with the limitation of only 6 troop slots and cultists having icons. Thanks in advance!
    Ok lets what we got....

Chaos Lieut - 122 pts
    - MoCU
    - Dark Blade/B Pistol
    - D Speed/Resilience
    - Spiky Bits
    - Infiltrate
    - Frag Grenades
    - Teleport Homer

Perfect, but he needs Daemonic aura, otherwise he'll be brought down easy. If you dont have the points for this, i'ld drop resilience and a few lil things to pay for it. I know its hard to fit it in with the lt's tiny daemonic gift limit.

1 Assault CSM - 229 pts
    - All MoCU, All Infiltrate, all furious charge (removed frag grenades since their purpose is counter charging)
    - 8 CSM with BP/CCW, and 2 of them meltas
    - Asp Champ with D Mutation, Power Fist/Pistol
    Looks fine, but i'ld drop furious charge, as it can be hard to get a charge off with a standard footslogging squad so i think the points would be better off elsewhere.

1 Shooting CSM - 116 pts
    - All MoCU, Infiltrate
    - 6 CSM with 4 bolters, 2 plasma gun
    (wandering around and dealing out lots of rapid fire, with the CC unit following and counter assaulting if necessary.
    Fine, no problems here!

2 Oblits - 140 pts
    Good

8 Havocs - 213 pts
    - All with MoCU, Infiltrate, Tank Hunters
    - 4 bolters and 4 autocannons
    Great, but this total should be 232pts

2 x 16 Cultists - 127 pts each
    - All with Assassin's kit (infiltrate, furious charge)
    - Champ with power weapon (will try to add in D Mutation/D Strength/spikey bits in the future when I master having the cultists survive long enough to use this champ)
    Why the power weapon? he's only S3 so he won't be doing much. my advice is D-Talons and D-Mutation. Keeps him cheap, and basically gives you an uber genestealer for your squad leader, who gets 5 rending attacks on the charge!

6 Bloodletters - 156 pts
    (yeah, expensive, but either this or 10 Daemonettes (150), so I want to try them out once. On paper, they're more survivable, deals out the same amount of kills to a typical MEQ on the charge, but AFTER the charge they kill 1-2 more MEQs than Daemonettes, which makes me think they're a bit better)
    Definetly try them out, they are both awsome units, i dont know which one i would choose if i was in your shoes (luckily i dont have to since i play word bearers )

Well hopes this helps, and good luck with AL!
    2000pts Orks 4-2-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gen.nehring View Post
    Ok lets what we got....
    Perfect, but he needs Daemonic aura, otherwise he'll be brought down easy. If you dont have the points for this, i'ld drop resilience and a few lil things to pay for it. I know its hard to fit it in with the lt's tiny daemonic gift limit.
    Yeah, actually I used to have D Aura, but many people on this board convinced me that having the T5 is more useful than having the 5+ inv save. Of course, I'd love to have BOTH... but alas...

Looks fine, but i'ld drop furious charge, as it can be hard to get a charge off with a standard footslogging squad so i think the points would be better off elsewhere.
    I was debating that one. While I never get to charge this squad when i used to use them, I am planning on keeping them near the plasma "wandering" squad as a counter-charging unit. Thus I will get the charge in this case when the plasma squad gets pounded.

Why the power weapon? he's only S3 so he won't be doing much. my advice is D-Talons and D-Mutation. Keeps him cheap, and basically gives you an uber genestealer for your squad leader, who gets 5 rending attacks on the charge!
    Hrm, power weapon is 5 pts cheaper than D Talon/Mutation... but I can definitely do that...

Definetly try them out, they are both awsome units, i dont know which one i would choose if i was in your shoes (luckily i dont have to since i play word bearers )
    Haha, I'm envious of Word Bearers now... used to wonder why people play them! I've used Daemonettes since the dawn of me playing AL, so definitely want to try the other powerful daemon once... haha!

Thank you so much!
    Vish

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

Yeah, actually I used to have D Aura, but many people on this board convinced me that having the T5 is more useful than having the 5+ inv save. Of course, I'd love to have BOTH... but alas...

Good. Daemonic resilience is much better on your lord than aura. Honestly, on chaos cheaper h.q's, you can get away without aura. Plus, a 5+ inv save is still more likely to fail, albeit, it's the only protection against instant killing power fists. Keep resilience and simply don't charge into units with power fists.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Good. Daemonic resilience is much better on your lord than aura. Honestly, on chaos cheaper h.q's, you can get away without aura. Plus, a 5+ inv save is still more likely to fail, albeit, it's the only protection against instant killing power fists. Keep resilience and simply don't charge into units with power fists.
    The question now is, when do I add D Aura back in? 1500 pt when I use the D Lord? Thanks!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

The question now is, when do I add D Aura back in? 1500 pt when I use the D Lord? Thanks!
    At the 1250 point mark, your lord is fine. At the 1500 markers, yes, a lord and daemonic aura are suggested for the kinds of things your h.q. will be doing.

Also, just because the army size goes up in points doesn't mean that the h.q. has to follow suit. For some point jumps it's a good idea; for instance, going from 1000 to 1500. After 1500 points, however, my lords stay pretty much the same until I hit 2000. Just a note.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    At the 1250 point mark, your lord is fine. At the 1500 markers, yes, a lord and daemonic aura are suggested for the kinds of things your h.q. will be doing.

Also, just because the army size goes up in points doesn't mean that the h.q. has to follow suit. For some point jumps it's a good idea; for instance, going from 1000 to 1500. After 1500 points, however, my lords stay pretty much the same until I hit 2000. Just a note.
    Ahh, ok. So what do you do at 2000 pts? I guess sometimes in tourneys, there are the "HQ vs HQ" missions... so gotta keep a lord that's somewhat decent so he won't get wiped :yes:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Ahh, ok. So what do you do at 2000 pts? I guess sometimes in tourneys, there are the "HQ vs HQ" missions... so gotta keep a lord that's somewhat decent so he won't get wiped :yes:
    I usually play Black Legion, but lately, I've been dinking around with Alpha Legion. Here are the recent configurations.

1850 points-
    Daemon Prince (non-statured)- 142
    MoCU
    Infiltrate
    Daemonic Speed
    Daemonic Resilience
    Daemoinc Aura
    DarkBlade
    C.C. weapon
    Frag Grenades

2000 points-
    Daemon Prince (non-statured)- 157
    MoCU
    Infiltrate
    Furious Charge
    Daemonic Speed
    Daemonic Resilience
    Daemoinc Aura
    DarkBlade
    C.C. weapon
    Frag Grenades

I keep my lords very trimmed down. As you can see, the cost of the lords is well below 10% of my army's total point value. In fact, you could easily get away with running my lord designed for the 2000 point marker at the 1500 or 1850 point mark.

Here is the lord I use for Black Legion at the following point values: 1500, 1850 & 2000

Daemon Prince (non-statured)- 161
    MoN (mark of nurgle)
    Manreaper
    Infiltrate
    Daemonic Speed
    Daemonic Strength
    Daemonic Aura
    Nurgle’s Rot
    Frag Grenades

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

946 (x8)

Jeez! 7th double post today. EEK....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Rabbit for your examples, they help! Seems like "trimmed down" Lords are all the rage these days

But the manreaper Lord looks scary... I guess that's the benefit of Black Legion/Nurgle eh? =)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast