1000 points, unmarked - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000 points, unmarked

So this is a work in progress, fairly similiar to something i posted recently but with a couple changes.

Chaos Lord 121
    Dark Blade/bolt pistol
    Daemon Resilience
    Daemon Aura
    Spiky Bits

Combat Marines 160
    8 Chaos Marines
    -7 Bolt Pistol/CCW
    -Meltagun
    -Aspiring Champ upgrade, power fist, daemonic mutation

Marines 95
    5 Chaos Marines
    -Lascannon, plasma gun

Marines 95
    see above

Obliterators
    2 obliterators

Havocs 158
    7 Havocs
    -4 Heavy Bolters

Predator 115
    Autocannon, 2 Heavy Bolters
    Extra Armour

Predator 115
    Autocannon, 2 Heavy Bolters
    Extra Armour

Total: 28 infantry, 2 vehicles, 999 points

The focus for this army would obviously be to sit back and hammer the enemy with a lot of shots every turn with the BP/CCW squad and the lord hopefully providing enough of a counter charge to shut down anything that makes it to my lines. I wanted to keep the amount of shots I could dish out pretty high, so that's why I left the predators pretty lightly upgraded. Im really new to chaos, so I'm sure that there are a few better ways to do what I want to, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by gamerfreak; April 24th, 2007 at 03:21.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

to be totally honest with you I think the list is fairly tight you have enough AT to take down anything that will likely be fielded in a 1000 point game and enough volume of fire to seriously punish assault based armies.

My only suggestion would be to ditch the melta gun on the counter charge unit as they most likely will not be using it and get your lord D. Mutation.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good list, but i don't believe you need Heavy Bolter Havocs, because their abilities are covered by everything else, and are a waste of points. Suggestions are to replace them with another CC unit, give the CC unit infiltrate (so you can place the unit where you want them to be) and a second melta or to replace them with another Las/Plas unit. Another thing you could do is to upgrade the LT to run around on his own and use the CC squad (led by AC w/ PF) to counter charges. Other than that this is a sound list.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    946 (x8)

I wrote this post rather quickly, so please forgive any spelling or grammer mistakes:

Perty good list overall. Antrhix made some fine suggestions. If I may make a few more. First, I think you've taken a few too many options in this list, and as a result, some of your units are missing a number of vital upgrades. Your counter-charge unit is just fine, but needs a little more versatility. Here's why: Chaos has major issues dealing with I.G. and Tau at range, because, quite frankly, both those armies are specialized in long range bombardments. For this reason, you will not succeed against these armies by sitting back and trying to win the range-race. In other words, your army will have to adapt. This is the key to making a good chaos army. We're not the best at anything, but we can hold our own in virtually any scenario. Likewise, Nids and Dark Eldar are superior in c.c., which means we must take them out at range. At any rate, your adaptation to a superior ranged army is greatly benefited by having infiltrate on your c.c. units; otherwise, they'll be gunned down well before they make it into c.c..

I'm going to make some drastic changes, mainly trying to bring your army together to where it can deal with any threat and in any circumstance. First, based upon my changes, I would build your army under the Alpha Legion rules, mainly because I've given a lot of your units infiltrate. Going Alpha Legion does actually hurt any of your units, on the contrary, it cheapens them for my suggested upgrades.

1- Lord: Reduce him to a chaos lieut for point conservation & drop spiky bits. This will almost free up enough points to give him both infiltrate & daemonic speed (i.e., the much cherrished first turn charing chaos h.q.). Also, he could use the MoCU in order to sustain himself in a drawn-out combat scenario, but in my experience, it isn't always necessary on a lieut.

2- c.c. marines: My comments are along the lines of Antrhix. Drop mutation & the melta gun in favor dual wielding plasma guns. As a counter-charge unit, you need them to reach out. The melta gun lacks the range. Plus, your army is a little weak against heavily armored infantry. The plasma guns will fill this role nicely. Two special weapons should come standard on virtually every c.c. unit. This will all but ensure their tank bustin ability, which is in essence their job, prior to engaging in c.c.. Also, give them infiltrate. Two reasons: It provides a place for a first turn charing h.q. to hide in case your opponent goes first. Second, these marines are geared towards c.c., but without some kind of placement or movement modifier, they'll never reach the bloodbath. Infilrate is necessary.

3- oblits: Look fine.

4- 5 man lascannon units. I'm not sold on these squads. They are extremely expensive for a single lascannon. I think you'd be better of taking another 8 man infiltrating c.c. unit.

General Rule of Thumb for Chaos: You can never have enough basic troops.

You could also upgrade these pups to plague marines, which will help you out in both c.c. and range. I use plague marines in my Black Legion armies, and they are by far the best all around marine available to chaos players (perhaps in the entire game). Of course, this would require you to invest more points in your troop options. I would suggest you drop the predators, but this is only a suggestion.

I've just stripped your army of two really good tank busting weapons. In order to compensate, please see the following suggestions.

5- Keep the havocs, but switch their weapons to autocannons with tank hunter. This kind of squad is greatly superior to two 5-man lascannon units and will actually do quite well against the swarm and medium-armored infantry as well.

Here's what I would do with your army. Again, the changes are drastic, and if you want to keep the vehicles, then by all means do so.

Chaos lieut: 106
    *Manreaper, bolt pistol, d resilience, infiltrate, d. speed.

Oblits: 140
    *2x obliterators

Troops:

Troop squad #1- 176
    *8x marines with infiltrate & MoCU
    **5x marines with bolt pistols & c.c. weapons
    **2x marines with plasma guns and c.c. weapons
    **1x a.c. with bolt pistol & power fist

Troop squad #2- 176
    *8x marines with infiltrate & MoCU
    **5x marines with bolt pistols & c.c. weapons
    **2x marines with plasma guns and c.c. weapons
    **1x a.c. with bolt pistol & power fist

Heavy:

Chaos Havocs #1- 206
    *7x havocs with tank hunter & infiltrate
    **4x autocannons
    **3x botlers

Side: I gave your havocs infiltrate, because it was only 7 points.
    Side: I would suggest incresing the squad number to 8, which will greatly aid in their staying power.
    Side: May also want to give them MoCU for staying power in c.c. (entirely optional)

Total points: 804 (plenty left over to play with). You could upgrade your c.c. units plague marines, take a predator or two, add another havoc squad.

My suggestion would be something like this:

Chaos marine squad #3- 116
    *6x mairnes with infiltrate & MoCU
    **4x marines with bolters & c.c. weapons
    **2x mairnes with plasma guns & c.c. weapons.

These little marine squad are invaluable. They fill such a vital role and are very low priority for your opponent. Good staying power, good fire power. If you take this kind of squad, then you could also swap your plasma guns for melta guns in your c.c. units.
    Spambot kill tally. . .337

+ Reply to Thread