500 point LatD - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 500 point LatD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 point LatD

arch heretic of khorne
    mark of khorne, terminator armour, berserker glaive, powerfist, feel no pain,
    hq:155 pts

16 mutants, 2 flamers,blessing of khorne
    mutant boss ,great weapon ,blessing of khorne

16 mutants, 2 flamers,blessing of khorne
    mutant boss ,great weapon ,blessing of khorne

troops:344

i plan to use this as a base and build my army up from it. so any thoughts or suggestions would be great. only problem is i'm not that good at converting so do you think that beast herds from the whfb line would be ok? thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x2)

The HQ is still 139 points in my book. And he could be max 145 as he is a lieutenant and does have a more limited amount of points.

Also the total of your mutant squads doesn't match. With 16 (including mutant boss) it's 163. Times 2 is a total of 326. You could even fit in an extra mutant in each squad.

As for the list itself... it looks good. Not much can go wrong with a Glaive. And given you use him in terminator armor, makes it a pretty solid HQ. The mutant packs are good, albeit a bit small. But hey... it's a 500 point list.

As for converting the models. I'm currently building my own LaTD army. And yes, I also have a mutant pack in it. I tend to go 30 though. The beastherds are pretty good for it. Just keep in mind, the WHFB beastherds consist of gors & ungors. The one being the bigger, bulkier one of the other. I used a single gor (or ungor; not sure which is the bigger one) as my mutant boss. Keep in mind that shields (especially wooden shields) look kinda out of place in 40k. I also got a box of Catachan jungle fighters. I mixed and matched some weapon arms (and a couple I had spare from Chaos marauders) and swapped Guardsmen heads with goatheads. I'll post a picture later this week.

I can foresee a little problem with the flamers though. Unless you've got a nice flamer lying around. Beastherd boxes don't come with flamers So better to go herd & catachan I guess. Makes more diversity and provides some flamers, heh.

Edit: Link of some of my mutants (blessing of CU) when mixing up Catachan & Beastmen bits. *clicky*
    Last edited by Chaoschrist; July 22nd, 2007 at 22:58. Reason: Link added

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah i plan on hitting up battlewagon bits and the games workshop site for some spare bits. i'm planning on combining a grey knight terminator body with chaos parts for my arch heretic. fluff wise it'll be something along the lines of a grey knight who either fell to chaos or was possesed.

as for the point values i did it in army builder so it might be off i'll check my math later but thanks for the comments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello,
    While Fluff wise a fallen Gray Knight leading savage mutants is interesting, and having fun with a list that matches your vision and play style is always the best way to go...

I don't think the list will be fun to play.

The list lacks the ability to bring the enemy to arms. You are going to be walking across the board with no long range firepower. You will get into combat on turn 4 unless the threatened unit walks backward, and your opponent will control the pace of the game.
    Proxy the game out and play a few times, 500 points go quickly, but I think you will find that almost all of your forces will be killed or broken before ever getting into combat.

Here are some things to think about:
    The strength upgrade to your mutants increase their kill rate by 50% against marines, but the cost, especially at 500 points, is just too high. Normally it is assumed that mutants are ablative wounds to the real power houses of the mutant troop choice, the boss and the attached AC. Additionally, at 500 points you have to make sacrifices.

Your HQ is just too expensive. If he ever gets into combat at 500 points you did something really, really well. If he walks with the mutants, people will walk away from him. If he gets in front of the mutants, he will be plasma gunned to death.

I love flamers in mutants. Flaming death is awesome... but they don't get used very often. A walking mutant squad catches up to enemy units only because they are caught in close combat already, are pinned against an objective, or they make a mistake.

But really it comes back to the fact that walking mutants at 500 points will be boltered to death long before they do anything.

Compare to this:
    HQ - 2 AC with powerfists: 84 pts, one in each mutant squad.
    Troops - 2 15 man mutants with an icon: 186
    Elite - 1 5 man squad of daemonettes: 75
    Fast - 2 5 man squads of furies: 150
    5 points left over for fun. ( total of 47 models )

The mutants have Ld10 with the ACs and hide them very well.
    The demons get slingshoted out to tie up enemy units until the mutants get into combat.

So... Fluff answer: Cool, I like your list - Blood for the Blood God.
    Gaming answer: How about some way to bring the battle to the enemy?
    Good Luck,
    Latd-Dave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

arch heretic of khorne
    mark of khorne, terminator armour, berserker glaive, powerfist, feel no pain,
    hq:155 pts

15 mutants,fire arms, 1 flamer,blessing of khorne

15 mutants,fire arms, 1 flamer,blessing of khorne

6 traitors , sniper rifle , auto cannon
    troops; 344 pts

cut down the mutant squads some to make room for a traitor squad, added fire arms for the mutants. i know my heretic is pretty over kill but i want to keep him the same as i add on to this army besides he's more for fluff and cool factor anyways.

+ Reply to Thread