Null Zone - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Null Zone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Null Zone

So i recently discovered in a game with a friend that space marine librarians have this power called null zone that forces me to reroll invuln saves within 24 inches. How do you guys deal with that? My friend insists that it's not cheesey though i made sure to complain about it as much as possible. If i'm going to run into this power i need to figure out a counter or i don't see myself winning many games. I run a slaanesh/tzeench list and have plenty of models for those units but no nurgle or khorne models. Null zone was horrific enough that i was thinking of suicide deepstriking daemon princes with boon of mutation and breath of chaos to try and take out the librarian. That would be 175 points each with the loadout and is kind of a lot of points to deal with some 25 point upgrade or whatever it is. I haven't used fateweaver before but how would his power work against null zone since you can't reroll a reroll?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Yep, Null zone is death to Daemons. So are Mystics, Sanctuary, mech armies, and deploying to defend against deep strike. Don't complain, it's perfectly legal, just give them the win and move on to another game. There's no point in playing a game you know you will lose.

Fateweaver would muck things up. You re-roll failed saves, but he can't force you to re-roll a re-roll. However, you re-rolls passed saves too and can't re-roll a re-roll, so they end up negating each other.

Boon of Mutation isn't going to work reliably either.

Your best counter is to run units with armor or squash the Librarian (he's pretty soft if he doesn't have Terminator armor and a Storm Shield).
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    Fateweaver would muck things up. You re-roll failed saves, but he can't force you to re-roll a re-roll. However, you re-rolls passed saves too and can't re-roll a re-roll, so they end up negating each other.
    Fateweaver completely counteracts the rule (ok so I must re-roll every die I'm about to roll, sweet then) so is a good counter (and good in general from what I've seen)

Bombarding the librarian with everything in your list is likely to drop him, if you use all your long range attacks on his unit he will die soon enough. Is the power centered on him? If so you could try to avoid him somewhat too.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jsullivanlaw View Post
    So i recently discovered in a game with a friend that space marine librarians have this power called null zone that forces me to reroll invuln saves within 24 inches. How do you guys deal with that? My friend insists that it's not cheesey though i made sure to complain about it as much as possible. If i'm going to run into this power i need to figure out a counter or i don't see myself winning many games. I run a slaanesh/tzeench list and have plenty of models for those units but no nurgle or khorne models. Null zone was horrific enough that i was thinking of suicide deepstriking daemon princes with boon of mutation and breath of chaos to try and take out the librarian. That would be 175 points each with the loadout and is kind of a lot of points to deal with some 25 point upgrade or whatever it is. I haven't used fateweaver before but how would his power work against null zone since you can't reroll a reroll?
    Null zone is quite legit, if you look for cheeze, try 5 psycannon purgation squad with 3 inquisitors standing by with mystics protecting the field.

This is a very situational spell, and librarians are very rare HQ choice for marine player;
    Fateweaver and null zone would cancel each other out, since they are conferring opposite rules to the situation.

Your best bet would be to kill the librarian in melee. If he uses null-zone he cannot use his force weapon.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    865 (x8)

Why would he want to use his force weapon? Everything in the Codex Daemons is immune to instant death.

But yes killing the librarian is a priority. I like HoT on chariots who have decent shooting at AP3 and flamers of tzeentch make a mess or a librarian in a tac squad if you can get a good deepstrike on a concentrated formation (Icons and pavine help)
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Why would he want to use his force weapon? Everything in the Codex Daemons is immune to instant death.
    Daemonhunter force weapons do not cause Instant Death, it "slays outright".

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

If he's a Daemonhunter, he doesn't have Null Zone. Do they? Don't tell me they have it too!

As for it not being common, it depends who you play. I usually put one in anything over 1500 points, because I know that my opponent is going to have inv. saves somewhere.

Just keep 24" from him, or beat him up. He doesn't have an inv. save of his own unless he's in Terminator armour. (however if he is then hope he doesn't have Vortex of Doom too)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    If he's a Daemonhunter, he doesn't have Null Zone. Do they? Don't tell me they have it too!

As for it not being common, it depends who you play. I usually put one in anything over 1500 points, because I know that my opponent is going to have inv. saves somewhere.

Just keep 24" from him, or beat him up. He doesn't have an inv. save of his own unless he's in Terminator armour. (however if he is then hope he doesn't have Vortex of Doom too)
    No, we just have psybolts, incinerators, and psycannons that ignore inv saves all-together.

But other strategy that you may use is to assault as much of his units as you possibly can. Shooting is what will kill you in null zone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Best counters to null zone power i can suggest would be phlegm ginders, flamers, and DP's of tzeentch with hide for shooting at that squad/suiciding. When it comes to H2H I'd throw high initiative into him like daemonettes or something with armour like the DP w/hide, crushers, and thirsters.

Other than that stay the hell away from that librarian, unless your nurgle they at least get feel no pain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you do when it's a librarian with null zone in a squad of 10 assault terminators, or in a 5 man assault terminator squad in a land raider. I've thrown demonettes at the assault termies but they can't survive without at least being able to mitigate the attacks with their 5++. They might drop 1 or 2 termies but then they drop since they can't make saves. The land raider causes even more problems. This kinda list feels like auto loss to me.