The LO scientist clan! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

The LO scientist clan!

Greetings fellow nerds!

I have noticed that many members of LO study or have studied at university level, and I just thought that it could be great fun to have a clan for us scientist eggheads here. The purpose of the clan will be to share our knowledge with other LO members who seek it, and perhaps even learn a thing or two from each other. So, if you are an (aspiring) scientist, you are more than welcome to join :yes:

But the clan is here for everyone. We (or "I" so far...) will be more than happy to help you write that annoying chemistry paper, satisfy your curiosity about the world around you or even share our theory about how a how a plasma gun works. Fire away

***my scientific background***

I am a second year geology student, which of course lets me answer just about any geology-related questions you might have. However, geology is a very wide field, so I have also followed several courses on chemistry and physics, so try me if you have questions in that field. You just might get lucky

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

Hey, I'm up for this.

I'm a final year Zoology student, I spend lots of time dissecting various animals. My degree has been tailored to have an Ocean Science bent (starting to get sick with fish now though ), although generally I study the whole diversity of animal physiology. For my current final year project, I stick stuff in tanks and track it using Time-Lapse infra red photography. I'm doing work on how Glucosinates affect herbivores, and how some have adapted this plant defence mechanism for their own defence purposes.

So any Biology questions....I'm probably your man.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

Good idea lads!

I completed my degree in Biotechnology just over a year ago now and am just starting my phD. So I am aiming to be the first doctor on LO (fingers crossed )

My project is on proteins, overexpressing them in ecoli and sticking them on to novel surfaces, to get a protein chip. So any questions involving stuff like that hopefully I should be able to answer. I spent a year working in a microbiology lab, so any questions on PCR, plasmids and other really interesting stuff like that I should also be able to help.

To get the brain juices flowing have a look at this and see what you think...

http://www.ekac.org/albagreen.jpeg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x5)

Im in yr 13, doing A2's in Bio, Geograpghy and Economics. I did Chemistry to AS, and I'm looking to do Geoloy at Uni next year.

Is it good Sareld?
    Every time you read this sig: a fairie dies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x2)

Archaeology degree, looking to get a PhD in the next few years. Would already be doing it were it not for insufficient funds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st year general Science, at the moment i am of little use as for answering questions, but i will be as the Dry sponge of science in this science thread.

In the future i am looking at Physics or perhapse genetics and microbiology, depends wich one i like better second and third year.

I have a question for chemicalcaveman. How did you find working in a microlab? this is one of the things i am excited to try.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

That sounds like an interesting project Chemical Caveman.

How exactly are you doing that? Is the bunny there directly related to your project or as a general Biotechnology point? I'm just curious as I've read a few papers on that area i.e. removal of the GFP gene and expression in other animals.

I know a bit about Microbiology and Genetics (although I'm sure your miles ahead of me), and I'm curious. I did a superficially related experiment last year using E Coli involving Plasmid transfer and expression, and this area has always interested me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

I loved working in the micro-lab, if you have an interest in science and genetics its an amazing job, which will give you a great insight into the basics of cloning and a lot of whats going on in science at the moment. I couldn't reccommend it highly enough.

The picture of the bunny is something I found on my search for papers on GFP yesterday, what they did was clone the GFP gene into the egg and sperm cell and created a rabbit which will glow green in UV light. It is actually a very easy thing to do I would imagine, and was something I found thought provoking. Here is an experiment which is harmless to the rabbit but provides no new information so is not really an experiment at all. It asks the question, should we do things like this just because we can?

The reason I was looking at GFP (to try and answer your question Addoran) was I want an easily dectable marker to see if my over expression, purification and attachment is working. So everything I want to do with my protein of interest I will do with GFP first as it is very easy to see if something is working if it glows green under a black light.
    I can then transfer my protocal from GFP to the proteins I am actually interested in........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

107 (x5)

Cheers - that was basically my question - is GFP related to your work or something you just put as an aside?

I'd read a few papers on using GFP to provide a marker to determine if recombinant DNA has been expressed correctly, hence my question on whether you were working in that field. And yeah, apparently GFP works very well as a marker...you can't help but notice it lol. My own experiments were on a much more simple level, i.e. basing the gene on a plasmid for anti-biotic resistance or some such technique.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

242 (x6)

That is a very simple technique to see if your bacteria has taken up the plasmid you want but is used quite alot because of its easiness of use. If the bacteria takes up the plasmid it lives because of the resistance, if it not it dies......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast