History Group. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: History Group.

Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

History Group.

I will not call this a clan or club. :tongue:

Anyway, after the posts that my "300 Spartans" thread drew I realised that there are a lot of people on LO, well, some, who have a love for history. I have no idea if this will be active or what but I thought what the hell. Lets have a group for history here.

This group is dedicated to conversation, debates and discussions on all things historic. Any period and any subject, as long as the points are valid and do not attack anyone/any culture or race without a proper and intelligible piece of evidence to backup their claims.

So, start off.. how about;

Why you like history?
    Favourite Period?
    Plan an taking it further?

Ok; I have always loved history and it's been the only subject to ever captivate me so. I love so much about it, one main thing is where we came from and how we became what we are. I am very knowledgeable on how history has shaped us and never forget that.

I would say, either Ancient Egypt or the Middle Ages [Medieval]. I think the latter more so, I love Vikings. I just find something about them so fascinating and have done a fair bit of research into them.

I am hoping to be studying archaeology next year in university, I'm working towards that goal anyway. Doing a course at college and in the middle of my UCAS application [hate personal statements] and doing own personal research, essays and reading etc. I am yet to get onto a dig but am hoping to in the new year when the winter passes.

Hopefully, this group can help to expand one another's knowledge in area's of the history spanning the world. Who know's? Well, we'll see.

KU

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hm...

I think I could call myself a history lover, though I love more of the "idealised" history than some of the actual facts. Some things, of course, interest me, but I don't like it all.

I'd say I like history just because it's.. well, interesting. There's nothing quite like it, you know? Those times are past, and they're all the more intriguing because we aren't a part of them.

My favourite time periods would have to been the ancient eras - ancient Greece, the Roman Empire, ancient/pre-modern Japan (samurai), then on up into the Middle Ages, with knights and all that. Just drawn to the warrior aspects - Roman soldiers, Japanese samurai, English/French knights, things like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

cool, a new "group" ^_^ :tongue:

ok, here we to

i like history because i like to find out how other people did things, what they believed, and how well it worked out for them-that seems a little corny to me, but i didnt type it the way i want it to sound :wacko:
    uhh, this is a little tough, i did most of the studying of what im interested in on my own, but my favorite class would have to be world history, i guess
    not really, i plan on going to medical school, not a history profession

on a side note, my favorite cultures were ancient greeks, and more specifically greek mythology, and medieval eras. I have also studied feudal Japan, again on my own, and i also found that very interesting. Also i liked ancient cultures like the Egyptians and various others

and thats about it for me :sleep:

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

My love for History began when I was about 4 or 5 (seriously! :w00t: ). Greek Myths is what got me involved. I had this childrens story book of Heracles. It was probably one of the first books I read. I quickly began to love every aspect of Greek myth and legend, followed by Ancient Greek History. From there I branched into Roman and Egyptian History. The formula was always the same Myths to Battles (my love for warhammer comes from this as well I think) to Political to Social History.

Anyway it wasn't long before I enjoyed any period of History (Ancient History was still my favourite). Helped by the World Book of Battles . Seriously if you want to get an impressionable young boy something for Christmas get this book. A veritable tome, it details every aspect warfare fom the Stone-age to the modern day (seriously every detail... for example the Spanish Inquisitions military influence in Spain). Simple yet surprisingly detailed.

To this day I have always studied History. At A-level I did History which covered Medieval Europe and the Crusades as well as British, Modern History. I also did Classical Civilisation focusing mainly on Greek Epics and plays. I got a BSc in Economic History (which I chose to read because it was an aspect of History I hadn't done before). Here I studied the Industrialisation of Japan and the breakdown of the samurai system amongst other things which I found very interesting.

I also did a weeks Archeology at a local manor house/castle which was quite interesting (but hard work, dusting rocks is no joke).

So I guess I love history because its just really compelling stories. Its just that some of the stories happen to be true.

My favourite period is definitly the Ancient world particularly Classical Greece.

As for taking it further I am not sure about studying but I definitly do alot of independant reading on various aspects of History.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

Senior Member Librarian Augustine's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

I'll chip in here now and then. I tried a history clan and got no response, however count me in this one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

Great idea Kink Ulrik!

I love History.

I had some great teachers way back in the day, which helped to foster my love for things past.

I have to say that I am a real 20th Century War follower with some interest in Egyptian, South American and American Civil War history. I guess I just love to read about warfare in general:wacko: .

Oh well, I would love to contribute to this thread, and I am more living History (38 years) than the average member of L.O.!

Cheers, DH
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Hey look!! We can study Diggums. He's practically a fossil. Just joking! Well so far there seems to be a few responses, that's good news!

KU

LO's unofficial Jester Visitor Q's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    377 (x8)

Just need to make sure it goes beyond declaring our love for history I suppose. What sort of activities could we run?.
    "God is dead" Nietzsche- 1886
    "Nietzsche is dead" God- 1900

Why are there scams? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q71FLDIMBc8

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Just wanted to throw you a "thanks," Kuffy, for posting up that thread about '300.' It looks like a spectacular movie, historically accurate or not, and as I'm a fan of Frank Miller, I'm going to pick the novel up soon. :yes:

I, personally, like the World Wars, but I'm not a big fan of the American Civil War, or most of the wars titled "civil war" for that matter... also not a big fan of the "war" in Korea or Vietnam, as far as American wars go. I don't like specific wars too much - I'm much more into the aspect of the training, tactics, and gear, etc. of the various units. The phalanx, things like that...

Also, I'm a big fan of the gladiators! Very cool concept, minus the people chopping eachother up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1372 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    Just need to make sure it goes beyond declaring our love for history I suppose. What sort of activities could we run?.
    Well, more people to speak up is fine. Then just start off discussions, nothing much else to it. Too early for activities I think. But I like the way you think.

KU

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast