Revisiting 1,000pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

Revisiting 1,000pts

I'm thinking about changing up the Daemons army I run and I want to return back to the 1,000 pt level to start it off.

The current 1K list I run usually looks like this:

Herald of Khorne
    -Jugger, Armour of Khorne, Firestorm Blade

Herald of Tzeentch
    -Master of Sorcery, Winged Horror

10 Bloodletters

10 Bloodletters

5 Furies

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flamers of Tzeentch

On the whole it is a really good take all comers list. A little bit of magic, a little bit of shooting and a fair amount of manuverability and CC. The downside is it lacks a bit of focus and it feels like I am not making full use of my heralds locus powers and core troops. I also got the pleasure of watching a unit of chaos knights multch a fair bit of my army (my hounds got the charge on them and bounced off) and end a game in a draw. Seeing that makes me think my list needs more punch in general and I would also like to run a multcher unit of my own.

So here is a possible revised 1,000 pt list to form the basis for a larger army.

Herald of Khorne
    -Jugger, Armour of Khorne, Firestorm Blade

Herald of Khorne
    -Armour of Khorne

14 Bloodletters (Joined by foot herald to form 5x3 formation)
    -Standard Bearer, Music

10 Bloodletters
    -Music

5 Furies

5 Flesh Hounds

2 Bloodcrushers of Khorne (Joined by mounted herald)

The idea here is that magic plays less of a role at 1K points so I'm going to run bare with the intention that at 1.5K points level I will bring back my Herald of Tzeentch for a more balanced list. This list is geared 100% to CC so the only thing to stop march blockers or war machines is my Furies and I am wondering if I shouldn't have 2 units of them because of that.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Glad to have you back Bonzi, the forum just ain't the same without you. Kinda sucks being the only guy giving people feedback

I agree with your sentiment regarding Core troops. Our core units are actually quite good, they just get overshadowed by everything else. Daemonettes with the Banner of Ecstasy are perfect for setting up those uber units for a nasty surprise. In such small games they can really only afford one super unit and if you can hold it in place for a turn and flank with Flesh Hounds it's usually lights out.

I would also worry less about ranks and run your Bloodletters 6 or 7 wide to maximize attacks. They only have 1A each so you need more frontage or the locus to make the most of it. I'd drop the Firestorm Blade and standard from one unit in order to get 2 more Bloodletters and a musician in the smaller unit. You can run the Herald's unit 6 or 7 wide and the other 6x2. That extra attack helps immensely.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I'd suggest you is, the first one is from ===Me=== and it was really worthwhile for me.

1. First of all give you herald of khorne Armor of Khorne and firestorm Blade and mount in on a juggernaut and put it in a troop of 14 bloodletters with a musician and a S.B. in the following formation :
    BBJJBB
    BBJJBB
    BBBBBB

making 3 ranks of 6 with the herald in the middle. But if you plan on having the herald on jugg with the Bloodcrushers then only put 13 Bloodletters with the walking herald that has AoK and Fb to form 2 ranks of 7.

2. I would keep the flamers, they are the range weapon and they saved me in both games I played with them with a possible of 30 hits per turn (for 5 flamers)

3. I'm not so great with furies since most of the time they end up dying for nothing but I figure that if you can mange to use them well it just stalls the other for 1 turn or so.

The way I see it the list would look like :

13 Bloodletters with mus and SB (walking herald) 174pts
    12 Bloodletters with mus 150pts
    5 Flesh Hounds 175pts
    2 Bloodcrushers 140pts (jugg herald)
    1Herald of Khorne on juggernaut with AoK and Fb 190pts
    1Herald of Khorne with AoK and Fb 140pts

with the remaining points you could give sb and mus to the bloodcrushers or the other troop of bloodletters.

The only big problem i see with that list is if you end up in the firing range of units... thats your loss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

It was great to finally have a game against Bonzi that was actually pretty even. Being seduced by chaos was the best thing to happen to me (though a different flavor, WoC instead of DoC). I got tired of my wood elves getting pasted.

That jugger herald is a beast. Took out a unit of warriors and sorcerer with marks of nurgle by himself in the last 2 turns of the game.

I kind of like the new list, it will be fun to see how an epic fight between knights + an exalted hero and a unit of bloodmulchers + herald would go.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; December 22nd, 2008 at 05:58.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

I like the suggestions guys.

@--Me--: I like the frontage suggestion on the bloodletter formation. I'm so used to running MSU style core that it didn't cross my mind. I am going to reduce my main BL's to 13 + foot herald and run them 7 wide and 2 deep though I am going to keep the standard. With the herald in the unit I feel fairly safe that I wont be handing the enemy 100 free vps.

@pillsboy: The flamers have served me well every game I use them. No doubt in my mind that they are the greatest rare choice in our army but at 1K points I can only have one and I really want to try out the Bloodcrusher + Herald combo.

I also like the suggestion of Jugger Herald + foot troops but in small games I get a lot more mileage out of my Jugger Herald when I let him retain his full mobility. As Demandred said the guy wiped out a unit of Chaos Warriors and a Sorcerer single handedly. Without him running lose the game would not have been a draw. That is why I have tried to give him a Bloodcrusher bodyguard to increase the number of attacks and widen his range of targets that I can send him at.

As to the Furies...well I always get way beyond full value out of them. Ask Demandred the number of different and inventive ways I have used Furies to cause problems in all the games we have played. When I get motivated I am going to update my Furies Tactica and repost it on this site again.

Revised list:

Herald of Khorne
    -Jugger, Armour of Khorne

Herald of Khorne
    -Armour of Khorne

13 Bloodletters
    -Music, Standard Bearer

10 Bloodletters

5 Furies

5 Furies

5 Flesh Hounds

2 Bloodcrushers
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'm not sold on Bloodcrushers, but it looks like they would work in this list.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread