<1000 First 1000 pt Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 1000 pt Army

This is my first attempt at a 1000 point Daemon army. I haven't played a FB game yet, but have been playing Daemons in 40k for a while, so have a decent selection of models (though will probably have to buy a few more core, since I only have ~20 of each troop type if I want to hoard up when I start playing more points).

1 Herald Of Khorne (armour of khorne, dragonbane gem) 120
    17 Bloodletters (full command, icon of endless war) 259
    20 Pink Horrors (full command) 270
    5 Flesh Hounds 175
    5 Flamers 175

999 points

The Herald, who is the general, goes with Bloodletters in a 6x3 block. The Dragonbane Gem is just to use up points, so please suggest a better alternative if there is one. The Pink Horrors go in a 5x4 block.

My biggest concerns are no Herald for the Pink Horrors and no BSB, but I couldn't make them fit in. As I start to increase the points, I guess that will be my first priority, but a Herald Of Tzeentch with Master Of Sorcery and BSB is 165 points, so I'd have to drop either the Flesh Hounds or Flamers to fit it in and I'm not very sure if it would be worth it. My other thought is to drop 3 Bloodletters, the Dragonbane Gem and the Horror champion upgrade and put the Herald of Khorne on a Juggernaut. Anyone have any thoughts here?

Any advice would be really helpfull since I'm a FB newbie and don't worry about suggesting alternatives, because I said, I can do most models at this point level. Also suggestions about which direction to take things as I increase to 1200-1500 points.

Many thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Welcome to WFB =D

First thing though, Daemons can't take items from the common list, ergo your Herald can't have a dragon bane gem. No biggie.

At 1k points, I think think a BSB is needed, and if I had a choice, I would take a Herald of Tzeentch over a Herald of Khorne because the 4+ ward save along with the magic is better in my mind. HoT with Life in a unit of Horrors makes for a very sturdy unit. However, horrors are hard to utilize properly in 1000 points imo because they are an all or nothing unit to me. If I can't take them as a unit of 40 with changeling/banner of change/Herald with life then I don't want to field them. However, that's more of me just being stubborn then anything else =P

The list doesn't look bad though. Drop the horror champion though because he's not going to be winning any challenges and when you drop the illegal dragon bane gem, you can get an Icon of Sorcery for your horrors to give them a little boost in casting.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't realise daemons couldn't use magic items from the basic rulebook - does each item need to be specifically OK'd in an army book before you can use it. Anyway as you say, not a big deal, since I'm just filling out the points. For some reason I thought you needed a champion before you could add a standard bearer and a standard bearer before you could add a musician, but I can't find this rule now, so I must be mistaken.

Dropping the gem, horror campion gives me 18 points left so the Icon of Sorcery fits in quite nicely with 3 points left over.

Problem with a BSB is that I need two Heralds since I need a general and the BSB can't be the general. So I'd need to drop either the Flamers or Hounds. Would a Herld Of Tzeentch with Master Of Sorcery and BSB really be more useful than either of these two units? Don't know myself without playing a game or two, my gut instinct says not, but I'm happy to take advice here.

I could swap the Herald Of Khorne (115) for a Herald Of Tzeentch with Master Of Sorcery (140), but I'd probably then want the horror champion back in to protect the Herald in the event of a challenge, so I'd have to loose the Icon Of Endless War and either the two musicians or the Bloodletter champion. The Khorne Herald is more survivable (4+ armour save & 5+ ward save vs. just a 4+ ward save and toughness 4 vs. 3) but doesn't have the advantage of the extra spells and I'd be loosing the Icon of Endless War and other unit upgrades. Is this worth it? Again, no personal experience so looking for more advice.

If the Pink Horrors aren't that good with <40 models, what would be better? At the moment I have enough models to do ~20 Daemonettes or ~20 Plaguebearers but not another 20 Bloodletters (also have 12 Furies but can't see these being too useful). And why 40 Pink Horrors? Is that so you can hoard them or to get level 4 wizard & the extra spell (can't see me using this spell anyway, just looks like a way to give the opponent free victory points, and Bolt Of Change looks better).

Thanks.

Thanks,
    Phil.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

The reason why pink horrors really shine at 40+ is they are a level 4 for casting and know some good spells plus they make for a great anvil unit especially if you have a herald with them. Although the herald for them and a bsb are more things to get when you go over 1k points as otherwise you tend to not be able to afford them.

I think the champion 1st, banner 2nd, musician third thing you were thinking of is for the life spell when you heal a unit they come back in that order but if you don't have it doesn't matter and as far as I know you don't have to buy one to buy the others. Otherwise they wouldn't really be options.

As for the magic item thing, daemon don't have magic item and thus may not take any (even the ones from the common list in the brb). However since their gifts are not magic items nothing stops you from taking the same thing on multiple units. Really you shouldn't need any of the normal magic items as daemons have some good units and gifts.
    Last edited by Lyzaru; August 26th, 2010 at 21:03.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK here's my updated 1000 point list:

1 Herald Of Khorne (armour of khorne) 115
    17 Bloodletters (full command, icon of endless war, 3x6 with herald) 259
    20 Pink Horrors (musician, icon of sorcery, 4x5) 273
    5 Flesh Hounds 175
    5 Flamers 175

997 points

Thinking of expanding things up to 1200 and 1500 points and here's what I have:

1 Herald Of Khorne (armour of khorne, battle standard) 140
    1 Herald Of Tzeentch (master of sorcery - life) 140
    20 Bloodletters (full command, icon of endless war, 3x7 with herald) 295
    19 Pink Horrors (musician, irridescent horror, icon of sorcery, 4x5 with herald) 273
    5 Flesh Hounds 175
    5 Flamers 175

1198 points

1 Herald Of Khorne (armour of khorne, juggernaut, battle standard) 190
    1 Herald Of Tzeentch (master of sorcery - life) 140
    26 Bloodletters (full command, icon of endless war, 3x10 with herald) 367
    26 Pink Horrors (musician, irridescent horror, icon of sorcery, 5x5 + 2 spare with herald) 357
    5 Flesh Hounds 175
    6 Flamers 210
    1 Fiend 55

1494 points

I'm fairly happy with the 1200 point list (unless anyone can point out any problems with it), but unsure about the Juggernaut upgrade for the Herald. Overall attacks are more-or-less the same (inititative reduced, but the stomp is an auto-hit, so I think it evens out) and I think the 0+ armour save makes up for the lack of look-out-sir. The alternative would be an extra 3 Bloodletters to keep the 3x10 block and overall number of attacks plus one more Horror. Also, I've put the Fiend in to help hunt out war machines, but would I be better with just another 5 Horrors to push that block up to 29 or 30 (depending on if I keep the juggernaut upgrade)?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

122 (x3)

You will not want the juggernaut as armor doesn't help verse the things you tend to want lookout sir for and also the save caps at 1+ I believe in 8th. Best to just add 3 more letters to the unit. Otherwise looks good.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

+ Reply to Thread