Plan of attack on VC? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plan of attack on VC?

I read about how VC are pretty powerful with their regen and dances and am just wondering what is the plan of attack on them? I got this setup from somewhere of a very strong VC unit:

10 Black Knights, Wight King, Vampire/Vampire Lord, .standard, battle standard, war banner, walking death

Basically do i use flame attacks on it and then charge if i get the first opportunity and hope for the best? They have great charging rang so avoiding them is probably not the answer. Also, what is the suggested DD against a VC army? I hear that they have a lot of PD and I kind of dont want to start a cheese war by brining tons of horrors and all heralds of tzeentch or lord of change/other L4 wizards unless i have to... any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fought a top of the line VC list last friday. It trashed me in 2 turns. 15 power dice 9 dispel. I play korne but MR is usless because all the spells go into making, buffing and regening their own troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grab the Great Standard of Sundering, take the blue scribes, and get some really fast units like Flesh Hounds to charge his black knights with. Maybe even Karanak for general hunting. Also, screamers will be golden against VC because they don't have any shooting and are low on magic missiles. If you don't have Tzeentch heralds, upgrade your other heralds to casters for dispel dice. If you don't mind Tzeentch heralds, take one with a spell breaker. Master of Sorcery: Lore of Metal might also be nice to Law of Gold his banners/items/other junk with, and if you really want to, you can always snipe his general with the Rule of burning Iron, which keep in mind is flaming, so regen and armour won't help, and since his general will probably have great armour, the strength of the his should be good enough to wound very easily.
    No, I don't have any wool.

Suffer not the Unclean InquisitorAffe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    381 (x8)

A unit like that, if it is the Vampire Lord, is a gift to Daemons! You have the hitting power to squash the Vampire Lord, then all you have to do is stand around and watch the army crumble. If he has both a crown of stupidity and Drakenhof Banner, it could be dicey. I don't see what other option you have though, since you can't really redirect charges too well =). I'd think the focused character killing power of a DoC army should still prevail against that unit on average. Remember he can only raise one black knight at a time, not D6, so even if he does raise back the ones you kill off at range, it's a huge sink for his power dice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by russellt View Post
    I fought a top of the line VC list last friday. It trashed me in 2 turns. 15 power dice 9 dispel. I play korne but MR is usless because all the spells go into making, buffing and regening their own troops.
    wow.... how many points was that? 2250? how did he have that many PP and DP? Is that number considered "ok" in games or cheesy? Can you elaborate what you had and he had? I hope you gave up on 2nd/3rd turn not have your entire army annihlated... any suggestions against that army? I guess for me to go against it i pretty much have to go mage huntin' with my fast stuff and magic... and I probably need at least a LOC with 3 heralds of tzeentch and horror unit or 2 to not be burned by his magic..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x4)

Flamers will keep their troops in check but their real heavy hitters are their character choices. Good thing is I think our GDs can take them on.
    And over there we have the labyrinth guards.
    One always lies, one always tells the truth, and one stabs people who ask tricky questions.
    http://xkcd.com/246

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    110 (x4)

Heh, I've been playing against a VC opponent regularily who uses a block of 20 Skeletons, Standard, War Banner, Vampire BSB, Walking Death, Vampire Lord, which is a whopping 6 combat res before outnumbering and kills. The only way to counter it would be front and flank charge at the sametime, but that would be difficult and the position dont usually favors you.. so what I do is, I toss in my unit of 5 Flesh Hounds, sacrificing them in exchange for his BSB and/or the vamp with Walking Death. If a vamp or two dies in this way, it means less magic for you to worry about and less combat res package for his most prized unit.
    Anima Tactics - try it out!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nekochen View Post
    Heh, I've been playing against a VC opponent regularily who uses a block of 20 Skeletons, Standard, War Banner, Vampire BSB, Walking Death, Vampire Lord, which is a whopping 6 combat res before outnumbering and kills. The only way to counter it would be front and flank charge at the sametime, but that would be difficult and the position dont usually favors you.. so what I do is, I toss in my unit of 5 Flesh Hounds, sacrificing them in exchange for his BSB and/or the vamp with Walking Death. If a vamp or two dies in this way, it means less magic for you to worry about and less combat res package for his most prized unit.
    is the BSB that fragile? He would be taking maybe 6 str 5 attacks, maybe 3 hits and then maybe 1-2 wounds on it? Would those "pick a model" spells better or he will end up dispelling everything anyway?

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

The BSB is two wounds at T4 and WS6 IIRC, and it probably only has heavy armour+shield at best. The other one might have a 2+ save which makes it a bit harder, but unless its the lord its still only T4 with 2 wounds.

On average the fleshounds would deal 1/2*2/3*6=2 wounds with a -2 save modifier, so they could kill the BS or take a wound or two off of the other guy. Just remember: the opponent is losing models worth at least as much as your flesh hound unit. Its not a bad trade.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Blue Scribes is truly a Tzeentch-send against VCs, all those PD you get from his IoN spam can be put towards really nasty stuff like the Lore of Light/Fire or Tzeentch firepower. The biggest downside is that they take up a Hero slot.

I'm not a huge fan of the Standard of Sundering against VCs, but then again I like Master of Sorcery so it may be no fun missing out on the Lore of Light. I suppose taking Fire would make it better, then you really hurt the Vamps (essentially negating the raise skellies/ghouls/critters powers).

Daemonettes will tear up basic undead and can flank the hittier stuff, while Bloodletters can be reserved for GG and character killing. Plaguebearers also work quite well as an unkillable anvil. Horrors just add magical firepower and DD as necessary.

We can outfight Vamps no problem, but to out-magic them we'll need the Scribes of Standard of Sundering. After that it's a matter of picking the right targets (Vampires, elite infantry) and watching them crumble.

Also, Phantasmagoria + crumble?8X
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast