A Question for Glean Magic - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

A Question for Glean Magic

I was just reading through the Lore of Tzeentch when a question about Glean Magic came to mind.

The way the spell is worded, you cast the spell on a 7+ to gain the ability to auto-cast one spell of an enemy wizard at its base casting value. Does this mean that your opponent has two chances to dispell this effect? Once when you are casting Glean Magic, and a second time when you auto-cast the spell at its base value? Mostly this comes to mind if you use Glean Magic, then auto-cast the spell against a unit that has MR1-3. Does your opponent then have the chance to try and dispell the Glean Magic with regular DD pool dice and if they fail they get a second chance to dispell the spell at its base casting value with their units MR dice? That is the way it seems to me. I don't know as I'm making any point or asking any particular question, it just struck me as kinda funny.

Mostly I was thinking of this in regards to my friends WE where if I got the spell I could cast Glean Magic to gain Treesinging, and then use the Treesinging on a forest with a WE unit hidding in it (usually War Dancers who have MR1). Still could be kinda funny to turn the forest against him, though it would take me 2PD to cast Glean Magic just to auto-cast a pathetic lvl 1 Treesinging spell which could be dispelled with one dice..

The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Yeah, I would say there's two chances to dispell so MR would work on the spell chosen if applicable.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Blasphemy! You are not allowed to use my treesinging spell against me!

UNACCEPTABLE!
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would love to use glean magic against undead and use the curse of the ages spell on his huge block...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to say no. The BRB says that once a spell is cast, the opposing player can make one attempt to dispel it and then the spell's effects are worked out. In this case, glean magic
    s spell effect is simply to replace it's effect with another spell's effect. I believe the bound level would be important for RIP spells and the like, but I don't think it would allow another dispel attempt.
    No, I don't have any wool.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

You cast glean magic then you cast the enemy's spell as a bound spell. They are two separate and individual castings.

You are not dispelling the same spell twice, since by definition Glean Magic is not the bound spell, whatever it may be.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nowhere in glean magic's description does it mention it casting the opponent's spell like a bound spell, or as a bound spell. it says it is "automatically cast," this does not infer "bound," nor does it illuminate the primary question: can you dispell this "automatically cast" spell? I have no idea, its just another vague and ambiguous rule in the new daemon book. When I play, my opponent and I would probably roll off to determine a ruling. But, I think this statement in the rulebook under Dispelling may swing my opinion toward the opponent being able to dispell the "automatically cast" spell: "If a spell is CAST, the opposing player may make one attempt to dispel it." I would guess in the FAQ that will inevitably come out for the daemon book, they will rule that the automatically cast spell cannot be dispelled, but until then I think the rules available to us make it ambiguous or potentially the opposite ruling.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Umm... I'm fairly certain it does say its cast as a bound spell. Check the book again, please.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
    Umm... I'm fairly certain it does say its cast as a bound spell. Check the book again, please.
    It doesn't.

Although the way it works is identical. Bound spells are cast automatically with a fixed value, a spell from Glean magic is...cast automatically with a fixed value. 'Bound spell' is a convenient way of describing it as a result.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is one of those things that really needs to be cleared up by GW itself. It's just a very awkward situation.

If I were to go with a guess though, it would be one attempt at dispelling glean magic and one to dispel the spell cast. It seems to me the choice to make the spell less overpowered (lets face it, the chance to cast the best, army crushing spells with just 7+ is a bit much), while at the same time is giving it more tactical flexbility ( a single spell that could possibly go through 5 or more dispal dice....yes please.)

As Phalanx said as well, it brings Mr into play as well, something that is usually included in armies if your expecting such big spells to hit you. It just seems like the best choice for game balance to me.

Plus.....I want the dispel dice eating spell....munch munch munch

+ Reply to Thread