Is it better to use more magic or no? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you guys use more magic or melee in ~2250?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10PD +

5 38.46%
  • 8PD+

4 30.77%
  • 6PD+

1 7.69%
  • 6PD-

3 23.08%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it better to use more magic or no?

In preparation for next tourny I am a bit split between a BT w/ 2 tzeentch heralds and 1 herald nurgle and LOC w/ 2 tzeentch heralds and nurgle herald. On one hand i will have great fighter to take care of nasties and on the other hand the magic can probably take down the strongest of them... I have had 50/50 success most of the time but just curious if others have had better chances with more magicky or melee armies for daemons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I've been using two MoS HoT's and 2x10 horrors to back up my Bloodthirster.

I wouldn't say magic has been particularly impressive, but it has been useful. Metal magic is good when you're up against war machines while lore of life has a useful meta-game influence on Wood Elves (Master of the Wood, ho ho ho).

While a crass judgement of effectiveness, I have found that the Bloodthirster has consistently made his (considerable) points cost back in terms of kills. Combat is almost always the decisive element in warhammer - you can't shut it down like you can magic.

Particularly in a tournament I'd advocate a mix. Without the heralds, magic armies will cause you serious pain; without the BT (or something similar) combat armies can usually hold off enough magic to wreck your army.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    I've been using two MoS HoT's and 2x10 horrors to back up my Bloodthirster.

I wouldn't say magic has been particularly impressive, but it has been useful. Metal magic is good when you're up against war machines while lore of life has a useful meta-game influence on Wood Elves (Master of the Wood, ho ho ho).

While a crass judgement of effectiveness, I have found that the Bloodthirster has consistently made his (considerable) points cost back in terms of kills. Combat is almost always the decisive element in warhammer - you can't shut it down like you can magic.

Particularly in a tournament I'd advocate a mix. Without the heralds, magic armies will cause you serious pain; without the BT (or something similar) combat armies can usually hold off enough magic to wreck your army.
    are you going for minimum 3 core? Do you have a huge plagubearer block or Bloodletters block with your msu horrors??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by shaselai View Post
    are you going for minimum 3 core? Do you have a huge plagubearer block or Bloodletters block with your msu horrors??
    I have 20 Bloodletters, 2 x 10 horrors and 5 furies as my core units. The bloodletters have often hung on to be an anvil to my BT's hammer (Rear-charging wardancers...fun times).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Rork makes a good point, combat is typically more reliable than magic and probably better off in a tourney environment.

That said, I just love magic, it's what makes Warhammer unique in ==My== eyes and how better to use it than by fielding the minions of the Great Sorceror.

In 2250, I'd probably run a Lord of Change, MoS Herald of Tzeentch, Jugger-mounted Herald of Khorne or Palanquin riding Herald of Nurgle, and the Masque (or a cheap Slaanesh Herald). Back it up with MSU Horrors and a big block of Bloodletters/Plaguebearers, Furies, Hounds, Flamers, and probably some Seekers/Fiends and you've got it.

LoC, HoT, HoS, and 2 units of Horrors would produce 11 PD, up to 14 if I get Boon off. Plenty of magical firepower, and some solid combat elements to mop up. Plus, a good amount of magic defense in the form of 8 DD.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

At 2000 points the magic side of my army is 3 Heralds of Tzeentch, 2 with MoS and 1 with PV. Flamers make up my shooting elements and then the rest is Khorne Herald, Hounds and Blood Letters. Gives me a bit of everything and leaves me out in the cold against no one.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have more flamers than hounds? 2 sets of flamers or 2 sets of hounds? i am contemplating eith 2 x 5 hounds or 2 x 6 flamers...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's kind of hard to know what to choose with such little info on what your taking...given your heralds, making assumptions on your core units is the only thing we can do.

Personally, I think a LOC with MOS is more useful. While it's damage output is not as reliable as the BT, it also adds to your magic defense as well, which might not be great since we don't know your units. The LOC isn't exactly useless in combat either, and you can cast spells on it to make it better than a BT.

On the other hand, the BT is more reliable, plus has the added bonus of being cheaper after your done with the upgrades. Once again, if we knew what you were taking more accuratly, BT might be the better option just to save points for elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have something like :
    bt w/OA,IF,FB
    2 tzeentch heralds w/ mos,fly
    herald nurgle palaquin,noxious,slime, BSB sunder

17 plaguebearers FC decay
    10 horrors x 2

5 hounds
    6 flamers

5hounds/6flamers <- flamers might be more survivable...
    8/6 <- could also include Hellfire Banner but not sure if there's enough power dice to draw out dispels...
    Last edited by shaselai; July 21st, 2008 at 15:45.

+ Reply to Thread