Have blowtorch, will model - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have blowtorch, will model

Hello y’all! I was sitting around one day, lamenting the fact that daemon armies are so expensive to make, when I had a revelation. I looked at zombies, and then I looked at plaguebearers and I thought, “Wow, some of those zombies look outright comical, and there’s just something about the plaguebearers that they just can’t capture. They seem a lot more…. Melty.” Yes, I did actually think the word melty.

It was partially from lurking in the forums, realizing that daemons don’t have to have a truly defined look, partly a quest for something completely different, and partly an accident in the kitchen involving a plastic spoon, but suddenly, insight struck, and I haven’t been able to get it out of my mind since.

I needed to share the new insight, as the thought of mass-producing plaguebearers and horrors filled me with such glee that I figured others would think the same. I looked up cheap plastic models from other armies, and here are some of the ones I think could be useful for making these.

Night goblins are really cheap, 20 of them for $30, and they look really nasty as it is.
    Skinks are also cheap, 24 of them for $35, they look pretty cool as well.
    Beastmen would be just great. You get 20 of them for $35, and they come in two types. They even have horns so that you can relocate one to make an awesome plaguebearer.
    Zombies would look really cool melted, and at $35 for 20 of them they wouldn’t be a bad choice either.

There are lots of other cheap, cool-looking models, but none of them quite tickled my fancy like these 4 did. There would also be lots of ways to melt them as well: stick them in the oven or microwave, roast them over a burner, put them on a stick and pretend they’re marshmallows when you’re camping, or even just hold a grill lighter to them. My favorite idea is taking out the old blowtorch, that way you can get the job done quickly and you can pick exactally where you want to melt them. Have a goblin with an utterly dissolved body and a perfectly in tact head, the other way around, or anywhere in between.

I’d love to do this, but I would like some feedback and ideas about doing this before I actually attempt it. I’ve laid my thoughts bare, and I offer everyone here to do the same. Thanks!

I'm too lazy to come up with a witty sig.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard of caveat emptor, but never "Caveat res rei"

Latin geeks please don't kill me.
    Last edited by Marlinspike; August 26th, 2008 at 09:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the idea, it would be really funny having a melted night goblin as a horror, ect. when you try it out tell us of the success/failure, and maybe post pictures of you creations!!
    rag doll

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    220 (x8)

You MUST use something that doesn't involve a naked flame, e.g. a heat gun, or an electric fan oven, I really don;t know what sort of fumes polystyrene releases when melted, but I presume it will be a fair bit.

The other alternative is to "dip" them in some paint stripper, watch them melt a little, and then rinse them in soapy water.

+ Reply to Thread