Daemon Prince at Tourny - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Daemon Prince at Tourny

Gday,

Well, I've just finished my latest tourney about a week ago, and I brought along a DP. this was for Comp reasons only, they wouldn't allow BT with all the other stuff in my list, but hey, I was keen to save points, get another wizard in the list, and give this guy a go. Here's how he went:

Bad

I ran him with flight, lev 2 wizard, soul hunger and immortal fury.

He did one useful thing all tourney - kill a Black Orc Big Boss who was on his own for some reason. He had an easy time wounding stuff - no dramas, but the enemy just kept making armour saves. See, Knights have not much static res, but if I cant hurt them, he's toast. I also had some bad luck too - when my Fiends couldn't overrun into the combat my DP was in (rolled a 6 on 3D6, fell 1 inch short) and he got smoked. Black Knights roasted him too, and some Dwarfs snuck up on me with the Anvil of Doom movement thingo (haven't faced it before!).

His Sorcery came in handy though, dealing damage here and there, but level 2 ain't all that great anyway - just 'handy'

All in all, it was far too hard to commit him to anything, with fear of losing 460 points.

So, after this performance, I was thinking how on earth do you make even a half decent DP? I have a few setups that I will try and report on. The first, and very next DP I will try is this:

DP - Mark of Nurgle, Stream of Bile, Flying Horror, Immortal Fury, level 2 Wizard.

This guy has been discussed before by Bonzi, but damn he's handy. Basically a Gyro-copter on crack. 490 points of s4 breath weapon, points denial goodness. Being a wizard is just a bonus I think, and i would LOVE to get that 2nd breath weapon The key to this guy will be to stay alive the whole battle while spewing gunk all over the enemy. Like Furies, he's safer out of combat, but with Immortal Fury, can enter it in a COMBO CHARGE if he has to. He must charge with something else here, he's never any good on his own.

The next variations I'll run are:

DP - Level 2 Wizard, Ether Blade, Immortal Fury OR Flying Horror

This guy suddenly has a use - target Cav. One can fly to guarantee the charge, but may fluff his dice rolls, while the other has to walk but has a MUCH better chance of hitting, though he can be march blocked, which is a pain. I think I'll try the Immortal Fury one out first, as M8 can't be all that bad. I don't prefer these guys over the Nurgle guy, because, as with my first try, they rely on Combat to get their points back, while a Breath Weapon doesn't,

Well, there ya go folks - Just thought I'd tell first hand how I went with this guy. It's widely known that no-one rates this guy - but I', keen to make him work

Tim

Last edited by timk1111; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:06.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you want a good DP, play Warriors of Chaos. I'd much rather have 2 Heralds.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    If you want a good DP, play Warriors of Chaos. I'd much rather have 2 Heralds.
    I can understand the DP desire though. You cannot have flying heralds, unless you use Tzeentch and make them either Winged Horrors or put them on a disc or chariot. Even then, you are nowhere near the durability a DP offers.

Though I have to agree here - it is probably much better to just use two beefed up Heralds, possibly with mounts (Jugger, Disc) - that way you'll have more versatility, and the caster and the warrior can both be at two different places.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

I've certainly written a list now with all Heralds, but I'm yet to give it a go.

i actually replace him with 1 Herald, and then flesh our on some more troops (10 Horrors become 20, then I add 4 Screamers)

I just wanna make him work - people don't expect a DP

And the only good things I see about the Mortal DP is the ablility to Flee, and gain Level 4 Wizardry - he's still kinda ordinary in combat, and the upgrade he can get aren't that great. I guess Stubburn LD8 is just to tie things up, and then even if he breaks, hope 3D6 gets away...

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Mortal DPs have Terror, and that alone makes them better to ==Me==.

I can see the appeal of DPs, I love them in 40k and I really want to use them in Fantasy, but I just can't bring ==Myself== to do it when I can almost have a GD or a Herald plus more Flesh Hounds. I've seen one DP run before, and that was a flying Nurgle DP with 2 breath attacks. It looked nasty, but didn't seem worth all the points.

If the marks did something besides make it more expensive I think DPs would be ok, that and giving them Terror and some decent options (A Tzeentch DP should be able to get level 4, even at the expense of gifts). MoK = MR2 and +1A, MoS = ASF, MoN = Regen, MoN = free level 2, upgrade to level 3 and 4 or 4+ ward would be good.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread