usefulness of Champs - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

usefulness of Champs

I've just started Fantasy and have been reading the rulebook. I was wondering if there is any reason for us to pur champions in our squads as far as helping us in game goes. It doesn't seem that they do anything other than allow you to accept/give challenges and those don't seem to do a whole lot gamewise. I was wondering if I'm mistaken or if most people actually don't use them as, in our army at least, upgrading to a core unit champion gives 1 extra attack and cost the same as a whole nother model. Am I missing their usefulness? Or am I right in saying they are like a point sink?

Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends. Sometimes, you won't be able to have a herald in a unit, and maybe you want to add one more attack to the front without increasing the body count. I've just ran into a situation where I was left with 16 points, and increasing the models in a unit would grant me no advantage, so I upgraded one Flamer to a Pyrocaster, which gave me a higher BS (potentially leading to improved chance to hit with up to 6 flaming shots).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I was thinking more along the lines of the core units. They don't seem to offer much besides another attack, and if you just took the extra model you would get another wound as well. That's all I was asking as a champ upgrade for our core units costs the same as another model. I see that with almost every other one that can take a champ upgrade it has other benefits.

On a side note can anyone tell me what the heck credits are for or direct me to where I can find out?
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the same with core, except you get the benefit of one more attack. The same thing applies, as I already said - most of the time, when you have the points for one more model, it is not going to give you an advantage an additional rank, and that extra wound and attack goes nowhere since that model won't be able to attack anyway. The only useful thing is that when you lose a single model say in the front rank during a CC phase, you don't also lose a rank. I'm not sure whether this is worth it though - I'd rather have the extra attack up front.

And as for the credits, check the "Shopping Centre" link at the top of the page. You gain credits for activity, can save them in a virtual bank and get interest rates on them, or spend them on virtual items or mini-icons. That's all there is to it.

+ Reply to Thread