New player wanting something (semi)fluffy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New player wanting something (semi)fluffy

I'm new to Daemons, but I just love the idea of an entire army summoned on to the board by the will of some wizard/god, so Daemons really appeals to me, there's just one problem I see when reading the army book that I'd like a little help dealing with before spending actual money on models: Yes the army can be competitive, but not without sacrificing all pretenses of any fluffiness whatsoever.
    The players in my area are primarily wood elves and undead (yes yes, I know the two armies that DON'T PLAY BY THE RULES,) and they're very experienced. I would like to build an army that can stand up in a normal fight, AND against the the aforementioned army-play-styles. It would be easy to build an awesome daemon army, even against these players, but only if I brought an army that I'd be ashamed to put on the table. There are just some things that I could never bring myself to put in the same army due to the nature of Daemons. They are the manifestation of their god's wil, and many of these gods hate each other more than what's all the way across the board. I don't want to be a fluffmonger, but some things are just too unbelievable to put on the board.
    Khrone+Slaanesh (They hate each other soo much, they would only start crumpin' the enemy after they killed each other)
    Khrone+Tzeench (..... really, the Khrone working with anything remotely magical... he hates magic, HATES... I just can't bring myself to make him work with the METAPHYSICAL MANIFESTATION OF MAGIC)
    Tzeench+Nurgle (see Khrone+Slaanesh for why)
    Nurgle+Slaanesh (Slaanesh is the metaphysical manifestation of the emotion of pleasure, nurgle is the metaphysical manifestation of the emotions of hopelessness and depression, that'd be like an andrew w.k.-emo fusion band concert......no)

This pretty much leaves
    All one god
    Khrone+Nurgle (Khrone: "hey Nurgle, isn't death cool" Nurgel "Yeah, I'm down with death")
    Slaanesh+Tzeench (Slaanesh: "PAAARRRRTY" Tzeench: "I'll bring the cosmic disco ball man was not meant to gaze upon, and play the ancient music man was not meant to hear"Slaanesh: "PAAAAAARTY"
    I mught be able to bring myself to mix slaanech and nurgle, if it's the ONLY competitive option. (Slaanesh+Nurgle: "Go team syphilis")

But I'd still like to be competitive enough to occasionally win a game or two, you know. Can anyone help me

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NIce thoughts there. Daemons really have the best fluff in the whole game, and they are actually as close to the gods as you can get. I can't shake the feeling the author is a huge fan of Neil Gaiman (and especially his work on the Sandman series) and Terry Pratchett, because the fluff is brilliant and has a lot of subtle references to many works.

However, I think it is better to pull of something more reliable before you start experimenting with some of the more unusual godly combinations. For that, we're talking either Khorne/Nurgle (which I'm running myself, by the way, and with VERY good results), or Nurgle/Tzeentch (which one of our local players runs himself, and with VERY good results as well). Khorne+Nurgle is actually an even better combo, as Grandfather often gets fed up with Tzeentch's servants burning up his garden, but he is always eager to get more ground in the Realm of Chaos to spread and test his new and juicy disease, and Khorne is only happy to give him just that if he helps him slap Slaanesh in return.

If you assume certain state of the Great Game, then even Khorne+Nurgle+Tzeentch is certainly viable, with Slaanesh (as usual) being left out of loop. I have a bit of Tzeentch (in the form of 5 Flamers) in my list, and it works charms, so consider whether you wouldn't be better off with that as well. However, pure Khorne/Tzeentch is very effective, and very fluffy indeed.

Welcome to the most interesting army in the Warhammer. Beware your scheming though, Tzeentch knows all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eh, I feel like Knorne+Nurgle will get shot up real good real fast before it hits a line with a descent shooting phase... and in previous editions of GW games, and some still existing specialty games, nurgle and tzeench had special rules about how much they hated each other, to the point of getting bonuses against attacking each other, and (in some of the specialty games) having to diret their shooting atht their own allies if they rolled a 1 when within range of their patron's polar opposite.... and that's just the mortal servants.

Oh how I wish It wasn't true. If I had the beard for it, I would run Nurgle+tzeench in a seccond. I can think of no combination that would work better. Magically shooty horrors, flamers and screamers+neigh indestructible blocks of rank-file plaguebearers...... (drools for a moment,) but no I must stay strong.

I suppose with some clever conversions, you could run enemy god mixed armies that weren't actually enemies (e.g. Bloodletters modeled as daemonettes weilding large phallic greatswords, horrors with tzeenchtastic heavy plate as plaguebearers, ect...)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, this is simply untrue. To get around the shooting problems, you can use Furies, and Plaguebearers are almost immortal with a Herald inside. And if you want to actually do some shooting on your own, you are looking at the Flamers. D6 Strength 5 Flaming shots? Oh yes, please.

If you like the Nurgle/Tzeentch combo, I'd say go for it. It really is effective.

As for the who hates who...when the Daemons invade the mortal realms, they put their differences aside. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Leafwalker View Post
    Well, this is simply untrue. To get around the shooting problems, you can use Furies, and Plaguebearers are almost immortal with a Herald inside. And if you want to actually do some shooting on your own, you are looking at the Flamers. D6 Strength 5 Flaming shots? Oh yes, please.

If you like the Nurgle/Tzeentch combo, I'd say go for it. It really is effective.

As for the who hates who...when the Daemons invade the mortal realms, they put their differences aside. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Exactly. They don't care about differences with each other as long as there's a chance to kill some mortals and wreak havoc on other members of the world. They can bicker with each other anytime they want

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

I would tend to agree and say you would only really have to worry about them bickering at each other if you were to fight another Daemon army. Otherwise they all love to F with mortals so why not run a good combination. I do like your conversion ideas though and I hope you won't mind if I try those out sometime in the future as something fun and interesting to do with them.

I rather like running the trio mentioned above. Gives a good balance to everything and can provide distractions so that your enemy doesn't always know what to fire on. "We must appear weak where we are strong and strong where we are weak." Is a perfect example of something you can do with a multi-God army even when those Gods don't play well inside Chaos.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's nothing wrong with making a single-god list. They can be just as effective , in fact mono Khorne has taken a number of big name tournies in the past short while.

+ Reply to Thread