Furies vs. Screamers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Furies vs. Screamers

After getting my butt beat a few times in a couple of draws and minor victories, I'm emersing myself into the lovely art of stop charging and using flying, crappy, units to make the opposing player think I may just hit him from behind.

In our book we have two units that can effectively do this: furies and screamers. Screamers are a little more expensive and also have a higher leadership, but furies have a higher strength value. What would make someone choose screamers over furies? I've seen people do it, but I'm just curious.

Jake

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Screamers have slashing attacks, so can easily get wounds distributed with out entering combat

Furies (to my understanding) are solely used for screening and stop charging

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Furies are better disposable units because they're cheaper

Screamers are good for harassing and weakening units, but since they cost so much I wouldn't throw them away. Furies are dirt cheap and can be joyfully expended with no problem.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

As stated by the other two posters they really do 2 different things. Furies are the ones you want to use as your throw-away unit. Even so they will probably do better than most throw-away units as they have the 4 str, fear, and a ward save.(compare that to Dark Elf Harpies for only 1 pt. less each: str 3, no fear, no save).
    Screamers are best used as harrassment units to whittle units down before you charge them with other units. Ideally, at least for me, they should never see combat at all, just use the slashing attack.

Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to using a mixture of furies and screamers to wreak a little trouble on my opponents from now on. I'll be sure to zig-zag the hell out of my opponents with some screamers and block charge with furies!

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edit: >.> this post was a mistake >.>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NecroNid View Post
    As stated by the other two posters they really do 2 different things. Furies are the ones you want to use as your throw-away unit. Even so they will probably do better than most throw-away units as they have the 4 str, fear, and a ward save.(compare that to Dark Elf Harpies for only 1 pt. less each: str 3, no fear, no save).
    Screamers are best used as harrassment units to whittle units down before you charge them with other units. Ideally, at least for me, they should never see combat at all, just use the slashing attack.
    Well, the stat line may be better than Dark Elf Harpies, but the big advantage of the Harpies is that since they're not Immune to Psych, they can flee, in which case they'll move directly away from the center mass of the charging unit, which will be forced to follow (typically in a non-ideal direction that will leave the unit with nothing to do but turn back around and reposition the following turn). The ability of a super-cheap flying unit to do that is great, and the Furies would be amazing if they weren't ItP.

As it is, they are certain cheap, flying march-blockers and screening units. They're not the world's best unit, but they can be useful. I'd grab them up in my Daemon list if they weren't ItP, but as it is, I haven't found a list that can really justify them yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I don't see the fleeing Harpies as being better than Furies. Fleeing Harpies will probably not rally and flee off board, pulling the unit one regular move out of position. Furies will stand and take a charge, pulling the unit one charge move out of position. Also, they may even live for a round because of fear checks or good ward saves and take a unit out of action longer or possibly even make a kill or two. Personally I will take the Furies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

As has become a typical response: it comes down to what role do you want the unit to fill, and how effective you expect it to be.
    Furies- cheap, expendible, great for blocking charges, low leadership, with the assistance of a general near by can take and hold chargers. Even having 3 fury vs a warmachine is a threat. You figure charing in you still cause fear, if you can do 1 wound you can tie and probably outnumber with fear if your factoring in high ground. Furies are great for having that 1 fury peaking out around a unit then having the whole unit charge. Opponents fast cav have to account for them, plus a 20 inch charge is huge in warhammer fantasy! Comicaly, a tzeentch winged caster can actually join this unit, and gain some protection. Its an odd use, but it helps.

Screamers- pricey, same flimsynes as the furies IE same toughness, same save, 1 wound if I remember correctly. They have the need ability to "slash" a unit, really not that great with 1 unit, but bringing 3 units of them helps ALOT. Screamers hollar bulk to me. Either take them in handfuls or not at all. I thinking they could be great to support an infantry army. IE flyer up a flank, slash through warmachines on turn 2, then march block and slash in through units fast cav etc. They aren't going to make or break yours list. Late game is where they are effective, early game is where they are a hinderence IE target for your opponent. Their pay off later in the game is awesome, however furies will probably be dead by that time in the game.

Furies vs Screamer to me also comes down to taste. Furies seem a little more offensive where your using your other units to bate shooting/ magic, then jumping warmachines with furies. They are not fully expendible like harpies. Your can't flee charges, so you have to be more careful with where they are. They are DoC players cheapest units by piece. Screamers are more specialized, can fill similar roles, but die REALLY fast.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

+ Reply to Thread