New to Daemons, answers needed. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Daemons, answers needed.

Hey guys I am a Dark Elf Player. It was my first army. Well, I am now ready to start building up a second army and I have decided on Daemons of Chaos!!! I think they have some really interesting units available and seems like a lot of fun to play. I only have two questions at the moment for you guys.

First, is there a starter army box set available for Daemons of Chaos? I went on the GW website to see what my options were and in the product guide for Daemons there was no Batallion or any other box set available? Just curious if it is indeed true or if there is a Box set I can buy to start out with. I really hope there is because it seems like it will be REALLY expensive to start an army from scratch with the prices of Daemon units.

Secondly, if I do have to buy everything seperate, what are some of the units that I should buy right away and which ones are more worth waiting to buy later on? I would like to start out with 1-2 Characters too right away so if I were to get a couple characters at first, which 2 could be good for someone just starting out with Daemons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They had a spearhead box, you might be able to find one. The best thing to do is buy and read the book. Figure out which way you want to play.

The only plastics so far are Bloodletters and Daemonettes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

There are no army boxes or anything, Daemons are an expensive bunch since everything barring Bloodletters and Daemonettes are metal. You do end up getting a 40k army in the bargain though, so it isn't so bad.

As far as characters, they all work in their own ways. Khorne Heralds hit like a sack of bricks with as much subtlety, Nurgle Heralds are a pain to kill and give their buddies Regen, Slaanesh Heralds are fast and tricksy if a bit fragile, and Tzeentch Heralds are magicky.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On your note around getting a fantasy/40k army how would you suggest basing the models so they can be used for both?

Just got a Daemon fantasy army myself and thought it would be interesting for other new players to know also.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

I've got a thread just below this one on that very subject.

It sounds like it doesn't look good for dual armies. With the units that are best in one system being junk in the other.

Of course it's doable. While indavidual pieces of wargear and stuff might just be creative modeling instead of significant in 40K, I believe every Fantasy model can be used in 40K, and you could at least try to win with them.

I'd think the biggest problem most Fantasy demon armies would have in 40K is taking out vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

There are ways around the high cost of metal models. Chaos hounds can be used as Flesh Hounds. Dryads don't need much work to pass as suitable Horrors. Chaos Spawn come with bits that almost beg that they be used as Beasts of Nurgle and Fiends of Slaanesh. I have also heard of ghouls being converted into Plaguebearers without much trouble.

As far as what to buy first I would suggest the army book. After reading through it, choose what you like. People complain about the power of Daemons but for us it really gives us almost unlimited flexibility. You really can put together an army of whatever units that you like and still be reasonably competitive as long as you are a decent general. I also play Ogres and after I put in everything I have to in order to compete I have about 200 points to play with for variety. With Daemons you don't have to choose all the optimum choices so feel free to experiment with whatever you think you will enjoy playing.

+ Reply to Thread