Bad Times with Daemons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad Times with Daemons

I started fantasy a while ago and am enjoying it greatly. I got the Daemons Spearhead for Christmas and I've been enjoying the Daemons greatly as they are fun to paint and are very interesting. However I just can't seem to get the grasp of things... I play 40k as well and have generally been doing very well with it but I just can't seem to do well with my Daemons at all.

I've tried everything... I've tried to be combat focused, I've tried to be magic focused (12 odd power die) and while doing so to even be as "cheesy" as I can with 10 flamers in a 2k game and such.

I've lost to Orcs and Dark Elves dreadfully and only managed one draw with High Elves though I didn't really deserve it considering I asked him not to field his dragon and I still took a bloodthirster...

I've got quite a lot of models, though can't get ahold of more fleshhounds and never will be able to get any furies due to direct ordering problems.

20 Daemonettes
    14 Bloodletters
    20 Horrors
    06 Flesh Hounds
    10 Flamers
    05 Screamers
    02 Fiends of Slaanesh
    01 Herald of Khorne
    01 Herald of Slaanesh
    01 Herald of Tzeentch
    01 Bloodthirster
    01 Lord of Change

I really just don't know what to do... I want to try solve my problem without involving money but I feel thats impossible but I really have no idea what to buy especially since furies and fleshhounds are out of the question.

I've watched lots of games and do understand the strategy behind Fantasy but I just can't seem to make my Daemons work... I could blame luck but that would be rather shallow even with some dreadfull results of no ward saves made but still that is the spur of the moment and should be able to be worked around.

I really have no idea what to do anymore... Suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

I really have no idea what to buy especially since furies and fleshhounds are out of the question
    If you can't get them anywhere you can use Dark Elf Harpies as Furies and Chaos Warhounds for Flesh Hounds. As far as the army goes it looks like you have plenty for a decent army. What kind of list do you run? Just taking a quick look I can see a block of Bloodletters w/ a Herald on Juggernaut, block of Daemonettes w/ Herald w/ Siren Song and Banner of Ecstasy, 2 blocks of 10 Horrors for magic, Herald of Tzeentch w/ wings and Master of Sorcery, Flesh Hounds on one flank and Fiends on the other, flesh out the points w/ Flamers and Screamers and it should work pretty well.

While Demons are a very forgiving army they do take time to learn so give yourself a chance. It also sounds like you are trying a bunch of different lists to try and get something to work. I suggest creating a list you like and then giving it and yourself time. You need to play some games to get the feel of a list and how it works best.

Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Like with any army, Daemons have a learning curve that you must deal with when getting the army rolling. I went through the same thing you did before I started winning with my daemon army. You'll get there in a bit, it just takes some rough patches before you get a better feel of the army. While the daemons do offer a vast amount of utility, it can be a bit of a bane since you have so many choices. Just keep at it; you'll get it!

As for the models, take Necro's advice and use some cheaper subs. That's what I'm doing to fill in the "gaps" for my army.

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Yep, it looks like you have a couple solid builds in there, it just takes some time to get the hang of the game and how your army works.

What lists have you been running? And what specifically has been giving you problems?
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

You seem to have the character models but I feel you need more Bloodletters. I would recommend at least two units of bloodletters at 15 to 18 strong, both with command and a banner.
    A unit of bloodcrushers is also a sound investment.

JvK
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The creator of this thread said that he got the Deamons Spearhead?!?! I am wanting to start a Deamons army as my second army but I got discouraged when looking on the GW website! There was no Batallion much less a Spearhead available for purchase!? I mean maybe I just missed something somewhere but as far as I could tell I will have to buy my starting army unit by unit.... They all seem pretty expensive too. I hope I DID miss something because I will go buy the spearhead asap if they have it available!

Happy strokes, happy s... redarmy27's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    331 (x5)

Yep, daemons are a bit expensive, which is sad for a really cool army.

You can probably find some spearheads on ebay or any other auction site. I got one for about $120 and it was a good way to start my army. While it is a good starter, I wouldn't just settle for that.

Get plenty of 'letters. You'll need a good block or two of them in beefy numbers. They'll die a bit more, but they can dish it out. My normal units go between 15-20 accompanied by my herald on juggernaut for some added flavor.

As for plaguebearers, I'm going to use the VC ghouls. You can convert them pretty easy and they're a ton more cost-effective than buying 5 plaguebearers for $20 at a time. I'll have both metal plaguebeareres and ghouls in my PB ranks so I'll mix them up a bit. A little variety is always nice.

Also if you can, get some furies. As crappy as those little guys can be, they're pretty good for messing up opponents plans! They're a ton of fun!

Jake

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

There was no Batallion much less a Spearhead available for purchase!?
    Yeah my GW store just boxed up theirs and sent them back. They said the Spearheads will be broken down, repackaged, and resold as the individual units. I am not a big fan of the spearhead. You get a bunch or Special Characters and not alot of playable stuff. They will probably come out with a Battalion box with Wave II but that won't be for a few months yet.

+ Reply to Thread