Demon Prince Vs. Greater Demon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demon Prince Vs. Greater Demon

Which is prefered and why?
    What are the benefits of one over another?

I will use it for combat more than likely, although mage builds are not discouraged at all.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

The main advantages of the DP is that he's cheaper and more flexible than the GDs (since he has access to more gifts). He also isn't a large target, making him less of a bullet magnet.

The downsides are pretty substantial, though. Since he's unit US5+, he can't take away enemy rank bonus. And since he's not a large target he can't charge over things if you give him wings. His allowance for gifts is more restricted than GDs, meaning you can't make him quite as vicious as them. A flanking Bloodthirster can often destroy units by himself, something a DP could never achieve.

If you want a cheap all-rounder so you can spend points to allow you take beefier units, he's OK. GDs just come with so many benefits (higher T, W, better at their chosen role) that the DP looks poor by comparison.

The real alternate to GDs is the multi-herald approach, which can be particularly nasty for Nurgle.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I use a GuO, and using a Nurgle Daemon prnce is iffy, maybe in a game where i needed a cheaper alternative, but comparing the two, the Great Unclean one is far more resiliant thant a Prince. He has his uses, a decent cheap alternative. I see him as between a hearald and Greater Daemon.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

If you are consciously trying to tone down your list then a Daemon Prince is an option. Otherwise I think that either the GD or Heralds are better options. Being less than US 5 means that he can't break ranks and for me that is probably the biggest drawback. He is not quite cheap enough to justify using him as a sub for a GD and 2 tooled up Heralds are more effective to the army as a whole than one Daemon Prince. I wish he was a more viable choice because that new model that is coming out is sweet and I would love to have a reason to field it.

Shrubs for the Blood God Undead Bonzi's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    207 (x5)

There is no reason to take a DP other than fluff. They are a lord choice with the same Ld as the Herald heroes, can only take 75pts worth of gifts, has to pay a rediculous amount of points for a mark that does nothing other than allow access to a GD's gifts and can only be a lvl 2 wizard.

There is nothing that a DP can do that two Heralds cannot do better for the around the same price or less.

Examples:

2 Heralds of Khorn with Juggers and Armour of Khorn
    -Killing Blow, Hatred (and Locus for troops), More attacks, Same LD, Better armour save,

vs

DP: MoK, Armour of Khorn, Firestorm Blade, Winged Horror
    -Slightly better movement, better toughness

2 Heralds of Tzeentch with MoS/WH and PV/WH
    -More spells of different lores, more PD, more DD, more mobility, same LD, better Ward Sv, (Locus for Horrors).

vs

DP: MoT, lvl 2, MoS, PV, WH
    -Better close combat stats (...on a wizard)

In nearly all cases two Heralds will get you more bang for your buck than a DP ever will (especially with the Heralds Locus abilities. If you want uber go GD, if you want effective go two Heralds, if you want fluff go DP.
    The only honorable options left to we combatants is seppuku or semantics...which amount to the same thing really.
    -Undead Bonzi

+ Reply to Thread