master of sorcery : which lore do you prefer & why? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

master of sorcery : which lore do you prefer & why?

It seems (since this is the way the book is written) that our Tz Heralds really have very little choice but to select the Master of Sorcery gift to be most effective in casting spells.

My question to you is Which lore do you like to select for each occasion, and why? or how do you go about selecting a lore?

Do you pick Metal for all the nasty armored troops coming your way?

Do you select Beasts because of the low casting need and its versatility?

Go for a masterblaster and select Fire for the most possible damage spells?

It seems (like the lore of Tzeentch) that lores like Death or Shadows would be less likely to be selected since they have higher casting values and we lack in ways of generating power dice, as well as their limited potential in the lower numbered spells.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Frequently used lores:

Metal: I often take metal when facing war machine/chariot heavy armies. Being able to lock them down for a turn with Commandment of Brass can be very useful. Transmutation of Lead is also gold (!) versus High Elves and their ASF if you can get it off (It saved the necks of my bloodletters when they charged some Swordmasters last week).

I rarely use it as anti-armour. Spirit of the Forge has a huge casting value and Rule of Burning Iron isn't massively useful (save for steam tanks). I'll cast Distillation of Molten Silver if I'm after damage.

Beasts: A definite when I'm facing off against Dragon-led or cavalry armies. Shutting down their key uber unit(s) with Beast Cowers is hugely useful.

Death: Generically shooty and casting values are reasonable compared to Fire where the casting values get very high very quickly.

Infrequently used lores:

Heavens: Better anti-armour than metal (ignore save? ) and can deliver rerolls on two casting dice.

Light: Great way to take down undead, particularly with the basic magic missile.

Rare to never used lores:

Life: Reasonably useful, but can be dependent on what terrain is on the table. Useful for annoying Wood Elf players.

Shadow: Most of the spells are absolute rubbish. Unseen lurker has its place, but unless you're facing a lot of nurgle daemons (which involves casting the top level spell), best to avoid.

Fire: The casting values escalate to a high number after the first couple of spells. Not sure it's worth it for a level 2. You can get most of the useful spells in other lores combined with spells that aren't as hard to cast and can help your meta-game.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im the same as the above post.

I mainly use death in most cases, however against certain armies I will choose metal or beasts aswell.

resident iconoclast Left of West's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

159 (x3)

I almost always use Death, since it is (appropriately) the most killy.

I also like Beasts, because it has a couple of good guns, a combat buff spell for your Herald, and a couple of good utility spells.

Personally, though, I'm pretty bleh on Metal and I think Fire is pretty good.

Metal has reasonable utility, but its damage is very lack-luster.

Fire has two spells that are crap (conflagration of doom and burning head) and one that is a little too difficult for a level two wizard to turn out reliably (wall of flame) but the remaining three spells are quite good. It has the two basic magic missile spells (which is nice) and Flaming Sword makes the Herald (and the block he's in, by extension) much more formidable in combat--those three spells alone make Fire better than Metal in my book.

As a good default option, though, Death is the way to go. Its spells are powerful, versatile, and generally easy to cast.
    Once again, the conservative, sandwich-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Rork has pretty much covered all the options, but as noted it really depends on you oppenents and whether shooty or more versitile spells are needed. Death is perhaps the best of the former and beasts the latter but theirs no point fixing on anything till you know what you are fighting. I am quite partial to the lore of life but only because I tend to face a lot of empire guns line and DE crossbow spam and howler wind is horrribly useful against both. Then again I am also partial on Kairos so its often easier to give him the spell and use MoS to get a lore with more options.
    Last edited by Roehug; August 31st, 2009 at 13:39.
    Key things for an Ork to remember in the heat of battle:

Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Stickbomb is not our friend
    When in doubt empty the magazine.
    And most importantly AIM towards the Enemy.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

160 (x7)

Well, I'm coming around to death, a lot of the spells are short range is the only problem for me.

I like metal because you have the original sniper spell, stop chariots and warmachines spells and the armor/to hit spell (which is always good) and you can even destroy a magic item if you get lucky (this is always handy imo.) Most of the spells are easy to cast on 2-3 dice.

Of course it depends on the opponent. But overall, I think beasts is the most useful, just because of the ease of casting. Lots of good lores though. Even Heavens could be useful for the rerolls with 2 mages.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I like Heavens myself. I don't use it for comet, I use it for second sign. I prefer the re rolls over the comet. Metal is also good. I'd like to try death some time. Beasts can be good, in case you are afraid you will be in close combat you can use the bears anger to make the herald more survivable.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

I think a lot of it depends on the type of army you run. In my main list, I run a Lord of Change that uses Lore of Tzeentch, so I don't need to pick another "killy" (Death or Fire) lore. I don't currently take master of sorcery, though I have been thinking about switching my Herald's power vortex for it lately. The best Lore that would complement my army would be; 1) Heavens, 2) Metal, 3) Beasts, in that order.

I picked Heavens first because it is a nice balance of utility and damage spells. Metal is a nice spell to have in protecting my Lord of Change from cannons/bolt throwers until the Hounds arrive, and Beasts has some very nice utility spells, especially Bear's Anger as has been mentioned before (nothing like watching a Herald win combat for his unit of horrors. )
    Currently Playing:
    Fantasy: Daemons (Angels), 40k: Black Templars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Lore of Fire on my LoC. Its like the Lore of Tzeentch, but it's not so random.
    Also, you can cast Flaming Sword of Rhuin on your LoC, for close combat funnies.
    DA GREAT SPACE KARNIVAL (40K ORKZ) W47-D20-L31
    Me an' da ladz 'ave been lootin', fightin' an' winnin' since before you were a grot, ya panzy! WAAAGH!

+ Reply to Thread