Topic of the Week - Great Unclean One - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Topic of the Week - Great Unclean One

This is the start of a new series, that will hopefully bring new ideas and tactics to the forums. Each week, a new topic will be posted up about a different unit in the army book. This gives you your chance to discuss the unit to its fullest. So, please leave your comment!

This week's topic is - Great Unclean One

How good is he? Why would you take this lord over the other greater daemons? What are the best options for him? How do you use him in battle?

Discuss.

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balesword and Noxious Vapors. You take him because he doesn't die, and with the Balesword, he actually has the potential to rip units apart. I love him in challenges, where your opponent sees 4 attacks and thinks, "Oh good, he can't possibly kill my General." Suddenly you're rolling 3d6 and max overkilling.

Try not to pit him against fully ranked Elite units. That's where the Bloodthirster's 7 attacks at WS 10, reroll misses comes in (and then either Strength 7 Flaming, Strength 10, or Killing Blow.) Still, GUO can potentially inflict even more wounds than the Bloodthirster, even at only 4 attacks. Poor save, thought T6 is good, and 10 Wounds is big. Don't forget Miasma if you've got it

EDIT: Although, if you want the GUO to survive forever, just give him Trappings of Nurgle. A 4+ Armour Save, 5+ Ward Save, 4+ Regen save? Yes please.

Also, this topic: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...clean-one.html (Great Unclean one)
    is basically everything being discussed here.
    Last edited by etomeny; March 4th, 2010 at 22:09.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd use him for a slow army of Plaguebearer blocks but not in any mixed list. He's just too slow. Sure he'll never die but still.
    I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without anyone questioning its intentions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aounfather View Post
    I'd use him for a slow army of Plaguebearer blocks but not in any mixed list. He's just too slow. Sure he'll never die but still.
    He's actually great in a mixed army list. The Kairos/Horrors list uses him to great effect with Balesword and Noxious Vapors. You can toss him around with Unseen Lurker and he absolutely crushes monsters.

A legend in my own mind.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

I used him today in a small 2250 all nurlge list, he and every other unit (all 3 of them) were in range of my BSB which had the stubborn banner. So i had a stubborn re rollable ldr9 unkillable general for my units to take tests off of. In my games, people ignore the GuO because the amount of effort needed to kill 1 GuO could kill alot of other daemons. I use this to my advantage. They want to ignore something like a GuO thats fully tooled out they do so at their own peril.
    Last edited by Hashulaman; May 23rd, 2010 at 09:01.
    If a Million Guardsmen die, that's a statistic. If one marine dies, that's a tragedy.

+ Reply to Thread