Questions about Demonic Instability - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about Demonic Instability

Okay, I thought I was doing Demonic Instability right, but maybe not.

So lets say, I have the Standard of Chaos Glory in a unit of 25 demons. I lose combat by 5. I roll an 11, and therefore lose my "break test" by 3. Now, 3 more demons are killed for Instability.

Is this correct? or do I lose 3+5 for combat resolution? I am really confused. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remember:: the Standard of Chaos Glory makes the unit Stubborn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nobody knows how Daemonic Instability works? I know what page 30 says. But I am still confused. Any help!?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In that specific instance.. it appears so. Though with out the icon it seems like you'd loose by 8 if I'm reading it right.

But I'm still in the buy 'n' build part of my daemons army, so I could be completely wrong.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

It's for each point you fail the Ld test by isn't it? Which means 3, as stubborn means you suffer no Ld penalty for casualties.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

You are correct. Stubborn is always unmodified. Also since its BSB you can reroll if if you don't like it, but must take 2nd roll. Also if your general is nearby you can use his leadership. ( a 9).
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    You are correct. Stubborn is always unmodified. Also since its BSB you can reroll if if you don't like it, but must take 2nd roll. Also if your general is nearby you can use his leadership. ( a 9).
    IIRC, though, if you use the general's leadership, it is modifiable (unless the general is also stubborn and is in the unit). So it's almost always better to use the unit's natural stubborn leadership than the general's modified leadership.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Which is why you should make your General stubborn - at least I presume that'd work?
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Yes, for demons the only way to do that is for him to be within 12" of the icon of chaos glory.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x3)

Easiest way to do it is as follows.

Roll the dice and add the amount you lost combat by to the roll. (If stubborn don't add the value you lost by).
    Then subtract your leadership from the total.
    What ever positive number is left is how many die to instability. (If the total becomes 0 or a negative then none die.)
    (Note: If double 1s are rolled ignore all of the above.)

So if you lost by 3 and rolled a 7 for leadership you got a 10 total. If your leadership is 8 than you would have a total of 2 so 2 more would die to instability. If you were stubborn then you would have a total of 7 (since you don't add the 3) so you would go to -1 after you subtract your leadership 8 so no instability.

This is best method of doing it since the errata came and said is doesn't cap if you lost by more than your leadership. Basically with how it was you subtracted the amount lost from your leadership than rolled and lost by the difference but since you cant have a negative leadership you could never instability more than 12 wounds now you could. Although thus far the most I have lost a combat by with my daemons is 5 and that was to a steamtank.
    - You must set fire to water or you will be extinguished.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast