new to daemons -general advice appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x1)

new to daemons -general advice appreciated

I'm mostly a 40k player but my group is mixed and I have been missing out on half the events and whatnot wich can be a real downer (not that theres anything wrong being a score keeper but )

I've been going through the books for fantasy and found it pretty easy to "cut" the armies that didnt appeal me to me and it left me with warriors of chaos and daemons -I'm gonna go daemons, chaos warriors are pretty common down here.

The units I was thinking of using and would like some general advice on (loadout, tricks + current meta etc) blood thirster and khorne heralds (possibly skarsbrand or skulltaker), Changer of ways, heralds of tzeentch, bloodletters, horrors, daemonettes, skreamers, furies, flesh hounds, juggernaughts, fiends of slaanesh and flamers of tzeentch.

I know its asking alot and i'm not expecting full tacticas but any tips/tricks or general advice you have about the above units will help me immensly.

Life is just a game, but atleast the graphics are awesome!

2. Remove Advertisements

Barrie, Ontario
    16 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

57 (x2)

Ok, lets do this:

bloodthirster: not much experience, but obsidian armour is amazing. Not many lords can take a beating from the bloodthirster in combat without their magic, and a 3+/5++ is nice. Be careful, send it in with another unit to help because other wise it will lose to the combat res from banner+ranks, and that is how you lose wounds in combat when you are playing daemons. Don't recomend skarbrand, over priced bloodhirster giving enemies hatred, no thanks.

khorne heralds: Firestorm blade and armour. Probably the best loadout for them and definitly a great hero. In a unit of bloodletters, he is very nice. Skulltaker is amazing, but use him wisly. Too many people get angry when you run cheese like him. If you run him, putting him in a unit of plaugeberares with re-roll banner makes for a character killing machine. And although he is a 'herald' in fluff, the hatred does not benifit the unit also.

Changer o ways?Karios? If so, domination. As with skulltaker, be careful. This game if for fun, unless touri then domination calls, and when you are destroying your opponent in the magic phase they get pretty annoyed. If you do take him, he is godly. Even 2 power dice can be good because spend 1, get D3+1 more, and a +6 to cast means that the opponent won't be dispeling to many if they don't spend more dice than you. The changling is a good upgrade for horrors. I've had characters charge in, and him kill them because they become little crying babies. Definitly worth the points if you buy a larger unit of them (say about 20+)

tzeentch herald. Master of sorcory(MOS) is a must. A whole lore for 25pts gives lots of choice. Give either dispell scroll, wings(for marching 20" and casting), or flames if in a flamer unit. I usually take 1 with MOS and flames, with the lore of light. Light gives lots of buffs to our core units and can make them unstoppable.

Core: Bloodletters are our best core. For 12 points, they are a bargan. Give augment spells from lore of light or life and they become a killing machine, plus banner for extra D6" on the charge can mean combat by turn 2. Plauebearers with a herald are hard to kill, and both the banners are benificial. Daemonettes are better against hoares and elves with low toughness and increased numbers. I usually avoid them because i play mostly elite armies (treeman, ogres and chaos warriors). Horrors are an extra wizard. Don't spend too many points of them because they are not worth it. Drop like flies in combat and don't do much damage back. Furies are hopeless. Never take any except if your list revolves around them. low leadership makes for a need to be near the general, and arn't good enough for small flankers, or large hordes.

Hounds love them. S5, T4 with 2 wounds are amazing. Run them as flankers and they can rip apart other flankers or archers/war machines. Also, they don't die. I've had them charge a 20 man warrior squad with 10 hounds and emerge winning. And a collar means a 2++ against damage spells.

screemers avoid them. Their slashing attacks are never effective enough to do much, and they suck at combat. Never take them unless you are fitting them into a furies-based list.

rare. Ok, for rare we have all nice units. Bloodcrushers can be taken in larger units for a turn 2 charge against a smaller enemy unit, or in smaller units for machine/wizard hunting. Really lots of versatility here. Flamers are godly. Good place to hide a herald of tzeentch, and use them to kill smaller units that are running, or archers/machines. I like a unit of 6 with the herald, giving 7D6 shots, probably the best of our rare. Beasts of nurgle are good. Relativly fast, high T and D6 attacks makes for a good bogging unit or a flank charger, probably the worst of our rare, but still a good unit. Fiends are fun. March turn 1, charge flanks turn 2, kill machines or archers. Really a cheep, well-balanced unit that will kill many smaller things before they strike back.

Basic tactic. Charge. Our army is meant for combat, if you can turn 2 charge is preferred, turn 3 or 4 at the latest, depending how far back the opponent is placed. smaller army i use is 30 bloodletters, herald of khorne(fireblade and armour), herald of tzeentch (flames, MOS), 30 bloodletters (full command), 20 plaugebearers (full), 6 flamers. This places around 1400-1500 pts. Bloodletters charge, plaugebeares move up for support while flamers shoot archers. Took light lore for the augment spells.

Hope this helps, and post lists if you are not sure about things. Good luck!

edit: don't worry if your post isn't relpied to for a week. not many people come around this part of the forums, and those that do only reply about once or twice a week max.
    Last edited by thatrandomguy; April 24th, 2012 at 23:08.

4. Thanksadamwelton thanked for this post.
    Likeadamwelton liked this post.
    Hellfire Corner
    7 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

88 (x2)

Follow @thatrandomguy here (A Brief Intro to Daemons) for a further in-depth analysis of the Warhammer World's Daemonic Forces.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

+ Reply to Thread