Librarium Online Forums banner

1850 Tourney Foot list

<2000 
3K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Bugs_n_Orks 
#1 ·
Small tournament coming up saturday (followed by a larger one in 2 weeks or so), and I want to try out a vehicle free list. I've tested it against Justin Cook and his O'vesa Star Tau, my friend Nick and a new (and very scary) Daemon build he's been working on, and a Farside bomb Tau list. It faired well against all of those, I went 2-1 (the loss was to O'vesa Star in a hammer and anvil game, would have been very different in any other deployment style) so I definitely think it's got potential.

Baron - 105
5 Warriors - 45
5 Warriors - 45
20 Warriors, 2 SCs, Sybarite - 210
5 Beastmasters, 10 Khymera, 6 Razorwings - 270
Talos, TL-LG - 105
Talos, TL-LG - 105

Farseer, Jetbike, Shard of Anaris - 155
3 Windriders - 51
3 Windriders - 51
8 Warpspiders - 152
Wraithknight - 240

Inqisitor, Incinerator, 2 Servo Skulls - 46

The Inqisitor is there mainly in response to reports that ICs might be able to allow units to infiltrate along with them (so 6 centurions and shadowsun infiltrating might be a thing). If that changes I'll likely drop him for either a third 5 man warrior squad, or another warp spider and both runes for the farseer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Got in another test game against a balanced Eldar/Tau list (Farseer on bike, Spiritseer, 5 Wraithguard in serpent, 2 x 5 DAs in serpents, 2 x 3 Windriders, 5 spiders, 6 hawks, Wraithknight, Buff Commander, Ion-Tide, Kroot). Despite it being an objective mission (Templecon's Mission 1, combo of Relic and Emperor's Will, vanguard deployment) against a very fast army, I took first turn and shoved the beasts, knight, and 20 man warrior squad at him, while the talos hovered in mid/backfield. The talos performed great, using their cannons to plink wounds here and there off the Riptide and Knight, while hovering close enough to my objective to make it seriously dangerous to land nearby with hawks or spiders. By leading with the fearless beast pack my opponent was forced to deal with them (or face a T2 charge from a full strength beastpack), they got beat up T1 but still managed to get a decent charge off, then my T3 the characters jumped to the other (untouched) Beastpack to continue the mayhem. I rolled invisibility (I've been liking 1 roll on each of the 3 tables to farseer has, makes for some very interesting combos), and since serpent shields and hawks blasts ignore cover anyways, rather than beasts/warriors I kept my Wraithknight invisible the whole game (to keep him safe from Wraithcannon ID). He got ignored the whole game and spent most of it standing on the relic to prevent my opponent from making a move for it, while taking pot-shots at serpents (I've got enough other stuff to deal with the Tide and Knight). The game ended with a near tabling, I had the Relic (held by invisible jetbikes at the end), won 1-0 for Emperor's Will, and had all 3 secondaries, while my opponent only had linebreaker.

#3 ·
Got to use the list in the 5 round 50ish person Templecon GT in Rhode Island over the weekend. It was a battle points tournament (since there weren't enough rounds to determine a winner by straight win/loss), and you could score 0-20 per round. The missions were fun and pretty well balanced, and you determined your score by taking 10+(your VP total)-(your opponent's VP total) with a min of 0 and a max of 20.

First round I was up against Sisters with Inq. Allies, his list spammed S8/AP1 shots and he dropped the knight and talos with little trouble (it was big guns never tire), but didn't have anyhting to deal with the second beast pack (the first got charged by a Coteaz/Xenos/DCA unit out of a land raider), ended up 17-3 in my favor.

Round 2 I was up against Logan Drop wolves, his initial drop hurt and I lost most of a beast pack, but I got lucky and logan scattered off the board and back into reserve, but I was able to bring it back for a 20-0 win.

Round 3 I was against a fast assault CSM/CD army with 2 spawn units with daemon weapon lords in them, heldrake, oblits and a big flesh hound unit with a khorne herald. The mission was one where you scored objectives each turn and he pulled into the lead early on thanks to him getting to choose sides and taking the one with lots of LoS blocking stuff. We danced around eachother for a turn or two then I made a push and crushed one of his flanks and started to pull things back. Unfortunately we ended on 5 and it ended up being a draw with a 10-10 battle point split.

Round 4 I was up against a friend of mine Kurt Clauss, with a mean Eldar/Tau list. Farseer, 4 Serpents with DAs, 3 jetbikes, Wraithknight, D-cannon, Buff Commander, Ion Riptide, 10 Kroot, 3 Broadsides. He rolled the Full BS overwatch power for his farseer (uh oh...), while I rolled fortune, but then he won the roll for first turn (double uh oh...). However the dice gods smiled on me this game and I seized, allowing me to fortune one pack and then move and run at him full speed, while the big warrior squad and 1 talos killed his D-cannon, and my Knight and other Talos put 3 wounds on his knight. He focused just about his entire army on my non-fortuned beasts and wiped them off the table, while his knight whiffed against mine. My 2 I push the fortuned beasts into the middle of his army. Spiders come in but scatter away from his army and can only get 3 into range with their run, but still down a serpent (however not close enough to his broadsides to get a decent multi-charge). I figure if I'm going to eat Full BS broadside overwatch (since almost his entire army is within support fire range of them) I might as well go for them and try to knock them out, he does something like 12 wounds but only kills a single khymera, I do plenty of damage but don't kill them all, then he fails his Hit and Run on a 6!!! After that it went downhill fast for him, I cleaned out his broadsides on his turn, then multi-charged a couple serpents and his riptide and destroyed all of them. When we called it on T4 all he had left were the kroot which had just come on and a random Dire avenger or two. 20-0 Win for me.

Round 5 I was in the running to win, sitting at 67 Battle points (the top player was at 72), and was matched up against another fast assault chaos CD/CSM this time though. He had a decked out LoC, 20 Seekers with a Herald, 20 Hounds, 6 Plague Drones, Tz-Herald with 20 Horrors, Belakor, and 10 cultists. I made a couple mistakes when it came to target priority (namely not foucing on his grimoire and Belakor early enough) and he didn't make any serious mistakes. It also didn't help that he rolled Precog and Forwarning on his LoC (along with 3+ armor, 4+ FNP, and ID warlord trait), and never failed Grimoire after T1. His seekers pretty much always had a 2++ and I just couldn't handle them. I ended up losing 0-20, which put my opponent into first place since the guys on the top table beat eachother up and ended 12-8.

All in all I'm very happy with the list. It's fun to play and has the tools to deal with lots of different armies. I've yet to face mass AV 14, fliers, or manticores, but I was up against two of those in smaller numbers over the weekend and came out still in the running to win.

Reactions: Psyan
#5 · (Edited)
Will do! I got a bit lazy since I couldn't tell if anyone was actually reading my posts haha.

It was a while back now, but I took my double beast pack list to a little 3 round 24 person tournament run by the Stomping Grounds guys and came out in first. There weren't enough rounds to get a single undefeated winner but I had the biggest wins. My friend Nick was also undefeated and came in second with his FMC Daemons/Chaos. It was an Adepticon primer tournament using last year's missions. Nick went on to win Adepticon, although I wasn't able to go so he dodged me again this year haha.

First round was a Vanguard Relic + Objectives primary mission against a battle suit/riptide Farsight Enclave w/Eldar Allies. Commander w/2 missile pods, drone controller, 4 x 3 crisis teams (1 double fusion, 3 double missile) all with max gun drones, 2 Iontides, Farseer on bike, and 4 Windriders. I kept the pressure on him by feeding him a scary unit per turn and kept him pinned in his quarter until it was too late and won both primaries. We ended early because of time (mostly because he threw an absurd amount of re-rollable dice with at least 2 different S values for each unit, I only saw CC once lol), but I would have still had it a turn later (the relic was being held by the farseer who had jumped to the back of the 20 man warrior squad). Might have been a toss up if it went to 7 though.

Second Round was Dawn of War Kill Points + Objectives mission against a Far-Sun-Tiggy bomb. He fished for gate with Tiggy and didn't get it. I ignored the Bomb and killed the rest of his army (broadsides, skyrays, riptide), then hit the bomb hard with shooting and focus fired on stuff with only 4+ cover. I killed about half of it (mostly drones) and they failed morale and ran off the table, leaving him with 10 kroot, 1 falling back kroot, and 2 x 5 scout squads against my entire army (both beast packs had taken a beating but neither got wiped). I ended up tabling him and won on both primaries.

Third round was Dawn of War Kill Points + Big Guns Never Tire against a Clan Raukaan/SM list with 3 CMs on bikes with 2+/3++(one had gorgon's chain, one had Shield Eternal, one had a SS) in a Grav bike command squad, with 2 thunderfires, a stormtalon, a Hunter, 2 tac squads in rhinos, and 20 scouts with 2 LS-Storms. I don't think he'd played against beasts before and I think he wasn't really sure how to approach the game. I also rolled awesome powers (fortune, misfortune, scriers), and took bottom. I stayed spread out so the TFCs didn't do much, and got a fresh beast pack stuck in with his bike star and killed it over a couple turns thanks to fortune/misfortune while the rest of my army wore down the rest of his. We ended up calling it at the beginning of my turn 4 (bottom of the turn) since I was up 8-0 on KP and also winning on objectives. This game was actually streamed-live with commentary, it's on SG Tactics YouTube channel now (but it's a full unedited video of the game, so in my opinion pretty slow to watch).

#6 ·
I don't always get to read these right away, but I always get to them eventually. It's very nice to see a pretty normal DE list be so successful vs some very competitive net/beard lists.

#7 · (Edited)
The Battle for Salvation guys are doing a 2000 point RTT coming up at the end of the month and I'm thinking about how to bump the list up 150 points. Option one is Lady Malys and an extra Warp Spider, but Malys really falls flat against non-psyker heavy armies. What I think I'll probably go with is a skyshield and a Cronos (dropping a spider and my farseer's spear)

Baron - 105
5 Warriors - 45
5 Warriors - 45
20 Warriors, 2 SCs, Sybarite - 210
Talos, TL-LG - 105
Talos, TL-LG - 105
Cronos, Spirit Vortex - 100

Farseer, Jetbike, Shard of Anaris, both runes, spirit stone - 195
3 Windriders - 51
3 Windriders - 51
7 Warpspiders - 133
Wraithknight - 240

Skyshield Landing Platform - 75

Comes out to 2000 even. 20 warriors, a knight, talos/cronos, all benefit a ton from being able to sit on or behind the skyshield, even the jetbikes in some cases (like heldrakes). Should be interesting and it'll probably be the last tourney I make it to in 6th (if the rumors turn out to be true that is).

Reactions: Psyan
#8 ·
You've already got the Baron, so how about a nice chunky unit of Hellions with a Helliarch wielding an Agoniser instead? They keep up nicely with the rest of your list, are troops and although they're not very tough, they're hard hitting in assault and shooting. Hit and Run could allow them to seriously troll a lot of units and set some of your other guys up for assault success.

#9 ·
Hmmmm... that's an interesting possibility, although I like the Stunclaw much more than any other options for its ability to mess with deathstars. 10 with a Claw is 175, same as a Skyshield+Cronos. I'll have to see if I've got 10 assembled though haha

#10 ·
I haven't used the Stunclaw because as I see it, if you pull a guy out of a deathstar you're still likely to take a pretty good beating from him as you won't have any sort of power weapons to chop him down. I'd be more likely to use it if it were available as a special weapon upgrade for a regular squad member. I'd love to see a batrep where someone like Abaddon or Calgar gets pulled out of a deathstar and then pelted to death with spitballs, though.

The most fun I've had using Hellions is to take a big squad and use them to whittle down large/multiple enemy squads by assaulting, H&R on the opponent's turn and then re-assaulting (with another dose of shooting and hammer of wrath). Hellion CC is decent, but repeated doses of shooting from a fairly large unit (I like 16 to start) is downright painful.

#11 ·
The Stunclaw is great against deathstars not only because you get the character on its own, but because you remove it (and all its associated buffs) from the unit. For example pulling Baron/Tau Buff commander/White scars dude out of a unit of Beasts/Seercouncil/Grav-Star/Ovesa Star/guard blob makes them lose H&R (and a bunch of other buffs) and they stay stuck in CC with Beasts (and not able to H&R into the backfield and hunt troops). Pull a Priest/Yarrik/any other fealess or stubborn dude out of a unit and now you've got a non-fearless/stubborn unit. Pull the 2+/3++ chapter master out of his squad so he can't tank wounds. Pull the Fortuneseer/Grimoire bearer out on his own to shoot/beat down next turn.

Tried the Cronos/skyshield list out yesterday against my friends serpent spam list at 2000 points. Farseer, 3 x Dragons in serpents, 6 x Dires in serpents, 1 unit of 3 shadow weavers. Mission was Annihilation/Vanguard. We called it at the end of 3, I was all over his deployment zone and up by a huge margin in KPs, and he was down to 3 or 4 serpents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.