Nightshield or Flickerfield? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nightshield or Flickerfield?

I use raiders to transport my wych's and was wondering what would give me the best bang for the point cost, a Nightshield or Flickerfield?

I was thinking the Nightshield will keep the raider out of range for a short while... but then again it should be getting close and fast... and so I am not sure how useful it would be. Maybe someone can give me some insight into the advantages/disadvantages of these upgrades.

What is your preference and why?

-Do not regret what you cannot change

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Ask yourself this, is the transport for a combat or a shooting unit?

If it is for shooting unit they are likely to be moving 6-12" firing out of it if it moves slow, shoting the dark lance... In this case i'd get the save provided by the flickerfield.

If it is a combat unit such as wytches it should deploy in cover then flat out turn 1, unless your opponent moved up in which case it should move 12", disembark and charge. If you turbo boost you have a better cover save than the flickerfields invul, so the night shield is a beter bet as it keeps all of those short range weapons like meltaguns and rapid firing bolters from hurting your raider.

The Emperor Protects
    Last edited by kevin vanrooyen; November 22nd, 2010 at 06:13.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Flickerfield is a must especially if you plan on getting up close and personal, the nightshield as wonderful as it is will is mostly effective at range preventing your opponents strong ranged from hitting it. though you could just purchase both
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm a cheapskate, but if I got around to springing for one it would be the Night Shield. Making Meltas and Bolters incredibly awkward to fire has got to be priceless. How many Imperial(Space Marine/IG/Sisters) players ever have to fire a 6" or 18" weapon? Most of them could probably visualize 12/24 in their sleep, but 6/18 is a different story. Not to mention if you are good at estimating distances you can pretty much require them to have to make a choice between firing their heavy weapon or getting up into rapid fire range.
    League Stats: Orks 4W-1L-1T, CSM 4W-2L-0T, Dark Eldar 10W-6L-4T, Tau 3W-1L-1T, Blood Angels 4W-1L-1T, Imperial Guard 2W-1L-0T
    Tourney Stats: Blood Angels 6W-0L-0T, Dark Eldar 2W-1L-0T

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Personaly I run both. I find NS to be realy confusing for the opponent, they often forget about them.
    I do have a quick question about nightshields too. Sorry to hijack the thread a little. Basicaly, if my opponent declares he will be rapidfiring something with NS, and he is then found to be out of range. Can he then just shoot normaly, or is he out of range and misses? Ive been playing it that he can shoot normaly, but Im practising for a tourny in early Feb, and every little helps
    Proud to be a part of A Tale of four Geeks

follow me on twitter (at)Soulshade_T4G

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Flickerfields are a must on every vehicle. I always buy them because having an invuln save on a vehicle which has saved my butt many times. As far as Nightshields they really don't do it for me. most of my opponents are shooting missiles and other 36-48 inch heavy weapons into my vehicles so reducing 6 inches doesn't help me and ends up being points that I could spend more effectively somewhere else in my list.

Although if I were going against Hive Guard I would take night shields

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshade View Post
    Personaly I run both. I find NS to be realy confusing for the opponent, they often forget about them.
    I do have a quick question about nightshields too. Sorry to hijack the thread a little. Basicaly, if my opponent declares he will be rapidfiring something with NS, and he is then found to be out of range. Can he then just shoot normaly, or is he out of range and misses? Ive been playing it that he can shoot normaly, but Im practising for a tourny in early Feb, and every little helps
    No, that's it for his shooting - if you're out of range you're also out of luck.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Soulshade View Post
    I'm certain that rapidfiring is not something that you declare to do, it's simply up to you if some models are to rapid fire or fire normally. However, I must also say that I'm actually not totally sure, as this could be a 4th edition rule, and as I don't have the BRB here i can't look it up for sure.

About the NS or FF debate, I would put both on units that are supposed to hang around at our table edge, they need the extra survivability to get their job done. on transports I will not buy any upgrades or go with FF since most arms will be within reach after a flat out move anyway.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right Necronyr, you dont declare to do it. its a simple as in a rapid fire unit and model within 12 inch fires twice, any model outside of 12 inch fires once (unless they moved, in which case they dont fire). However if they move, they need to be within 6 inchs to fire at a raider with nightshields at all, and in all honesty, how many marine players do you see getting there tactical squads up that close to transports loaded with assault troops!

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Its as simple as this really, if it is a combat raider (aka laden with stabbiness) then its a nightshield.

If it is a gun vehicle then it is a flickerfield.

Why is this so? Basically every imperial force has 48" range anti-tank, so night shields are no use there (and eldar can keep up so its a close call) but the 5+ invulnerable is dead handy. While the stuff that downs raiders consistently often have a 24" or less range, so using the night shield is an excellent way of denying all those multi-shot attacks.

Tyranids suffer heavily against night shields as do orks, while IG and marines aren't affected quite so much (mainly due to the abundance of heavy bolters and in IG's case, multilasers).