Librarium Online Forums banner

Double Tourn. 750pt help

1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  sunkerncity 
#1 ·
Hey guys! For eas of purpose I copied my thread from the Necron post! As I'm not sure how many of you would read it there and it concerns both armies!

*Thought I'd post here and get some advice!

I recently got back into 40k (after having been away for a few years), and the Wife has started it (she usually has more interest in Fantasy).

We both originally decided to go with Dark Eldar, however, I ended up with her half of the models and she went with Necrons!

I'd like to ask some advice for a Doubles Tourn. coming up in December (we're both going to be first time players in 7th, and her first time period - outside of us playing together, nothing serious).

I'll list what we have, we're not adverse to picking up some different models (as long as it's aesthetically pleasing for her xD) and not too crazy in price right now (until we have played more at least).
Sorry I'm ranting now!

:edit:: oops, rules of the tournament are;
- No Fliers.
- No doubles of Elite, Heavy Support or Fast Attack.
- No Fortifications.
- No Allies.

I currently have:
- Archon (An old metal Succubus body + Huskblade and SoulTrap arms from the Archon model).
- 2 Boxes of Wyches.
- 2 Boxes of Warriors.
- 2 Raiders.
- 1 box Incubi
- 1 box of Wracks
- 1 box of Mandrakes.
- 1 box of Sourges.
- 1 box of Hellions.
- 1 Razorwing.

She has:
- 1 Necron Command Barge / Annihilation Barge.
- 1 box Necron Battleforce (19 Warriors, 1 was destroyed by the Kittens -.-!(lol), 5 Immortals / Deathmarks, 5 Canoptek Scarab bases, 1 Ghost Ark / Doomsday Ark).
- C'tan Shard of the Deciever (she prefered that model).

Her list was suggested by the owner of the local store and '' should '' be 750 ish (?).

As I said we're not opposed to getting her some more / different models! Any advice would be welcome - As this will be our first time playing anyone but each other (and first time playing 7th.. i think 7th is the latest one.. too many editions! lol), unless we get some practice games in at the store (using their models/armies) -
I can't really say who/what we'll be playing against, sorry =/*

See less See more
#2 ·
Really, this should be under Dark Eldar army lists, but meh let's see what we've got.

Well you can't have the razorwing which is a shame.

Some ideas for you to consider:
-Archon+9 warriors (with a splinter cannon) in a raider with Splinter Racks and FlickerFields (if you know what these do, you'd take them anyway). This costs 180 points without the archon, so your archon will have a shadow field, (agoniser?) etc, so he'll be around 100 points, so this combo is around 300 points. It's worth it, trust me.
-(Archon) +9/10 Wyches in a Raider. The wyches MUST have haywire grenades. This will cost about, I don't know, 150 max?
-Scourges with a heat lance/blaster, your choice :3 This will cost about 135
-IDK what else you want, probably hellions but I have no experience with them.

Things I'd recommend buying:
-GET A RAVAGER (these things are nasty)
-Get some reavers maybe. They're pretty cool and hit hard.
-More transports. Many transports. Without transports, you can't really play DE. Every troops unit should be in a transport-there's no reason not to.

Tips for your wife:
-You use annihilation barges, not command barges. This is pretty much fact.
-With your DE list, she'll want to use the Doomsday Ark, so that you actually have some decent instant anti-tank
-Yeah the rest of that list's pretty nice.

Overall:
You could make the necrons anti tank (annihilation barge, immortals, scarabs) and take full infantry-face-shred DE, packed with SCannons and using the Scourges with standard shardcarbines/Scannon. Also in this case you could swap your wyches for more kabalites.

Tactics:
Deploy your vehicles behind cover. Then fly them forwards and shoot infantry. Have the necrons sit back, take a pounding and open the enemy tanks for you to shoot the infantry. Use the lazors on the annihilation barge on larger tough infantry (tyranid warriors, if you even see any), but ensure that the DE ALWAYS get the kill (pain tokens)

When is this tournament? If it's after the end of this month, much of this is subject to change with our new shiny book.
Either way, good luck :)

#3 ·
Ooh, I'm sorry, I wasn't 100% sure where to put this. If I can I'll request to have it moved!

Thank you for your reply regardless.

I was hoping to play my DE as more of a melee orientated army (lots of wyches / cc things) with her supporting me (I think I missed that off).
Though I'm not completely against having some range stuff!

The reason I actually bought the Razorwing was because I didn't like the Ravager (too much like a raider lol - model wise) and I was trying to stick with a melee army - flier as 'support' / anti tank, advised by the owner.
Then he goes and bans fliers lol!
Reavers I'm not opposed to getting, though I have avoided them so far due to being a previous Eldar player and I wanted something 'different'. I'd like to be semi-competitive, but not use what everyone else does/expects (I know I'm difficult)!

The Archon with Wyches I love the idea! I was thinking Agoniser, but I read Huskblade was great also (can I have both?).
9-10 Warriors in a raider with Splinter Racks + Cannon I can deffinately throw in, as I said I don't mind some ranged, I'd just prefer to charge right at them (so to speak).
Scourges with Heat Lance and/or Blaster, got it!
And perhaps Hellions!

Are the Incubi worth taking at all, or too expensive / slow / not good ?

The original idea was to throw the Archon with the Incubi and have 2 squads of wyches, but that probably would be a disaster lol

Over on the Necron thread I think they gave her;
''10 warriors on foot.
5 warriors in a Ghost Arc.
2 Crypteks - One for each Warrior squad (?)
Overlord (on foot) from the Command Barge, keep him cheap! (Scythe + save).
Annihilation Barge.
+ another squad''

If that will change anything?
Oooh, there's a new codex, is there a date for when it comes out?

It is around the 15th of December if I recall correctly!

Thanks again for the help! The last time I 'played' was around 2000 - 2001, Ultramarines / Eldar. Lol.

#4 ·
Melee orientated army, you say? Have you heard about the new Wracks? With power weapons? They're nasty.
Wyches are for haywire grenades. They can also do close combat, but getting there is so awfully hard that they're never really usable for that. Wracks, on the other hand, can take some overwatch or some shooting and so they're better. Plus, poisoned attacks.
If you don't want to buy wracks, then go ahead and tool up your wyches with suitable upgrades, idk exactly which ones I'd use.

40k=ranged combat (mainly). Fantasy=close combat (mainly). Having ranged stuff in 40k is recommended. Thus, pls use the scourges. Not only are their models amazing, they're super versatile and actually one of our toughest units.

No, trust me eventually you will get a ravager. Razorwings are good and stuff, but as soon as you find yourself up against a heavy tank army, you'll wish you had a ravager. But I get that it does look like a raider :p

Reavers are different to jetbikes in that they focus not on shooting/cqc but in being able to fly over small lightly armoured units and shred them up. But I understand if you want something different. They're not the be-all and end-all.

Regarding the archon/wyches:
-You can have both agoniser and huskblade, but you can only use one at a time :( (no, you can't have wounding on 4 ignoring armour saves with instant death, that's broken :p )
-You want shadow field, BUT if you want to use my super combo of death read this:
--Archon, clone field, anything else. Wyches, as many shardnets and impalers as possible. Thus, the enemy has his attacks lowered. Then, because they have so few attacks, any attacks directed at the archon are instantly deflected by his clone field. Therefore, your archon is INVULNERABLE until the wyches are dead.

Kabalites in a raider are a solid choice. Again here's one of my homemade combos:
-Sliscus+9 trueborn, with shardcarbines/ Scannons in a raider with splinter racks.
-Now at 18" you have over 30 twin-linked shots hitting on 3s wounding on 3s (duke's rule). No infantry will survive that.

Yeah scourges can take either heat lance or blaster, your choice. If you can't get close to them, always take the blaster.

Nono, archon +incubi is a nice combo. But it would mean putting the wyches out of a raider. This results in dead wyches. And then you wouldn't have 2 troops choices, so it'd be unbound, which isn't great.
Incubi are fine. But they must have a transport of their own.

Her necron list is not very anti-tank. This is kinda a big deal because you don't have much anti-tank either. I'd keep the ghost ark as a doomsday, and convert the overlord into Obyron and put him in a big fat blob of warriors. Ask about the obyron+warriors combo on the necron forums, I don't know exactly how it works but it's devastating. This is my non-necron player opinion, but I do feel more anti-tank is needed.

Ah, the codex. On Librarium Online, head to Rumours and Previews, then go to the DE codex. Or google 'Dark Eldar 2014' and search for things from the past week. This will tell you all we currently know.
It's earlier than December lol, I believe some time in october? Idk.

I love how excited you are :) it's nice to see someone so passionate about the Dark Kin.

#5 ·
Preferably!
I was leaning toward Wyches because of how 'bad' they are, or... should I say how bad everyone says they are!
Wracks, we do actually have 1 box of them, so 5 of them!
Though I was under the impression you (needed?) should run a Haemonculis, which I don't like - model or lore wise! (eew)!
And currently I have 2 Boxes of Wyches + 2 Boxes of Warriors!

I'm trying -not- to buy anything for me, as I said I got her half of the Dark Eldar when she decided to switch to Necrons, going to be picking up some Wraiths for her instead.
Haha! Maybe... maybe, but not yet! lol.

Ahh okay with the Archon, makes sense lol. I do have 2 raiders, though as you said the Incubi would that away from one of the troops. Which would be best for him Huskblade or Agoniser, or both to flip between them ?

Sliscus... hmmm he doesn't have a model, right? I could use the Male Archon Body I have and throw some spare wych parts on for the arms! Then throw him in with the Warriors (trueborn).

Scourges I will take for sure, unless Hellions are more useful / I have enough points for both!

For her Necron list *goes to read it* ...
They say to add a Cryptek of the Storm to each of the squads, so they would be able to destroy both Infantry + Tanks.
Ghost Ark transport with the 5 in was to be used to revive the bigger squad.
With the Annihilation Barge killing most stuff it points at.
+ 4-6 Wraiths.

Anyways!
9 Trueborn + Duke + Raider
Archon + 10(?) Wyches Shardnets + Impaler + Raider
5 Scourges
And possibly 5 Hellions or Incubi or Wracks?

Ugh it is ?! I guess I'll have to wait and just paint slowly for now lol!
I am excited to start playing again!

#6 ·
You want to play Wyches because people think they're bad? Sir, I take my hat off to you, doubly so if you can make it work! If that's your mentality, start playing tyranids now. They're an entire faction who people think are bad.
Oh yeah you do need to run a haemo to run wracks as troops, and for exactly the same reason as you, I don't run a Covens force.

Ok... maybe you won't get the ravager yet. Fair play. Alternatives are to take 10 trueborn in a raider, with 2 Dlances and 4 blasters, with a hull mounted Dlance on the raider. That's 7 S8 lance shots. (That is a dead tank :p )

I prefer the agoniser, because of the wounds on a 4+ rule, and the archon is only S3. On the other hand, although it's not AP2 like the huskblade, that is what massed fire/disintegrators are for, in my opinion.

Sliscus does not have a model, and as such he may get removed from the next codex T_T So you might not want to use that combo. On the other hand, give it a try but don't buy anything for it jus yet :p

People prefer Hellions.
I have no idea why. IMO their models look a bit ugly and they focus on CQC which I hate so I have scourges.

I actually understand the necron list now.
But bearing in mind the 2 horrifically good anti-infantry and anti-character combos in your list, I maintain that you should ask for a more anti-tank list for her. Naturally it's your decision, but you need to remember this and also remember that Imperial Guard's tanks are better than ever now, I heard.

Yeah even earlier than October I'm afraid :p This weekend it seems.
-First wave: Wracks and haemonculus (ugh)
-Second wave: codex? and TEH VOIDRAVEN which is like 3 years overdue. Also possible plastic incubi.

#7 ·
Yes sir! I really like the Wyches, their models are great! And as I said I'd like a Gung-ho Close-Quarters army, preferably!
General consensus here is only play Tyranids for fun, and Wyches are only good for Haywire, which other things do better anyways. But why not try, I don't want to conform! Lol.

Though I will take the Trueborn in a Raider as you suggested! For some Anti-Tank, would that be enough combined with her list, I will post over there and ask for a slightly more anti-armour list if possible!

Agoniser I'm not opposed to taking at all, wounding on 4+'s is great, I just really liked the special rule for Soul Trap ( I think it this, doubles strength)... but then again, getting the kill would be a pain! Now if the Archon was Str4 base... maybe in the new codex? lol.

Ahh okay, well as I said I have the Archon body one of the heads, so I can use Warrior / Wych arms to customize him into a special character after the new codex. Had an old metal Succubus lying around so I used her body with the huskblade + soul trap arms, as I wanted a female Archon.

I like both of them model wise, I do have 5 of each, though admittedly the Wife originally bought the Scourges!

Ugh that early! I'll keep my eyes out for it, I'm not massively interested in the Wracks etc, but you never know!
Wave 2 will be shortly after I assume? Here's hoping for some nice stuff!

#9 ·
Thanks eternalether, I didn't know exactly when it's due- I can't wait though :D

(Yeah if you like CQC and you don't want to conform that's what tyranids are for lol)
Wyches can do other things like the Invincible Archon and generally tearing enemies to bits while being very safe in CQC

Taking the Trueborn Tank Destroyer means using a lot of points. I think all you need is like the wyches and a Doomsday Ark, but if the necron players don't want that then ok, it's manageable.

The soul trap is great in theory, not great in practise. As you say, you gotta make that kill only using S3 in order to use its rule. It's not worth it.

FP you don't see many female archons. Plus, you can double her up as a succubus if you want ^_^ I hope they give succubi more options.

Lol 5 scourges is fine, 5 hellions isn't so you probably should use scourges for now. Lots of hellions work well though, about 20 eventually if you want to spend that money :p

Wave 2 will most likely be the week after. It will probably include the voidraven. I can't wait for that :D

#10 ·
Oh, not long at all then! I'll hold off buying anything until then (maybe)! I am hoping they 'fix' Mandrakes, those models are pretty awesome!

Ugh, but they're so ugly! Lol.

That's what I was thinking, it's a shame I really like the idea of the Soul Trap!
Hopefully, more options is good, lots of rumours going around that we'll lose a lot of our special characters though :(

That's true, and the Scourges do get nifty wings!

If they do it justice it'll look pretty damn good! I love how the Razorwing looks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.