3k 'Balanced' DE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

3k 'Balanced' DE

LORDS:
    Highborn - 195
    -Heavy armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Enchanted Shield
    -Sword of Might, Seal of Ghrond

High Sorceress - 365
    -Dark Pegasus
    -Darkstar cloak, Crown of Black Iron

HEROES:
    Noble - BSB - 150
    -Heavy armour, Sea dragon cloak, Heartstone of Darkness

Sorceress, level 2 - 170
    -Tome of Furion, Powerstone

Sorceress, level 2 - 180
    -Dispel Scroll, Powerstone

CORE:
    25 Spearmen - 215
    -Shields, standard, musician

23 Spearmen - 209 (+ Highborn)
    Shields, Full command

20 Crossbowmen - 265 (+ Sorceress)
    -Shields, Full command

5 Dark riders, musician, crossbows - 127

SPECIAL:
    6 Harpies
    Cold One Chariot, spears - 97
    Cold one Chariot, spears - 97

RARE:
    2 RBT's
    War Hydra
    17 Black Guard - 317 (+ BS
    -Full command

I was thinking of going with 4 RBT's, but I think at 3k, all the units would block LoS, so I'd be gambling on getting a hill. In the end I decided to take 2 & a Hydra.
    There's a fair chunk of points tied up in characters, about 1000 worth, but at 3k, it might be worth it.

The theory with the large unit of Crossbows- reform into 5x4 before getting charged. That way they form an effective combat unit. A little expensive, but it could be better than 2 units of 10, which gets smashed if charged.
    Also gives a bit of flexibilty about playing defensively if I have to.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Last edited by Manu_Forti; September 19th, 2007 at 00:45. Reason: removed harpy point cost
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Blood & Souls for Khaine! flameseeker574's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    LORDS:
    Highborn - 195
    -Heavy armour, Sea Dragon cloak, Enchanted Shield
    -Sword of Might, Seal of Ghrond

High Sorceress - 365
    -Dark Pegasus

HEROES:
    Noble - BSB - 150

Sorceress, level 2 - 170

Sorceress, level 2 - 180

CORE:
    25 Spearmen - 215

Shields, Full command

-Shields, Full command

SPECIAL:
    6 Harpies - 78

RARE:
    2 RBT's
    War Hydra
    -Full command

I was thinking of going with 4 RBT's, but I think at 3k, all the units would block LoS, so I'd be gambling on getting a hill. In the end I decided to take 2 & a Hydra.
    There's a fair chunk of points tied up in characters, about 1000 worth, but at 3k, it might be worth it.

The theory with the large unit of Crossbows- reform into 5x4 before getting charged. That way they form an effective combat unit. A little expensive, but it could be better than 2 units of 10, which gets smashed if charged.
    Also gives a bit of flexibilty about playing defensively if I have to.

Thoughts?

Cheers
    looks good and rather "balanced", as you will have something to do during every phase.
    first of why only 23 spearsare you depolying it in 6x4 ,or does he (H have a mount? other wise it looks pretty good although at 3k you might have trouble as you dont have that much Punch with 2 chariots and a hydra as your only big CC threats( well the black guard is one too i guess) but hopefully the magic and shooting willl have whittled down your opponents by the time you attack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

first of why only 23 spearsare you depolying it in 6x4 ,or does he (H have a mount?
    That confused me as well.

I actually assumed that the highborn would be riding along with the chariots as a character in a chariot matches your standard style of play.

But then i noticed the highborn reference for the spearmen.

And if this is the case then i assumed the BSB would be going with the black guard? thus the question remains, why 23?

High Sorceress - 365
    -Dark Pegasus

HEROES:
    Noble - BSB - 150
    If the BSB will only really be targeted in close combat perhaps a better option for him would be the black amulet and then give the high sorceress the heartstone. It just seems that a 4+ ward save is better than a 5+ as high magic shouldn't be too much of an issue most of the time, you are going fairly magic heavy and it would only be against one army.

Sorceress, level 2 - 170

Sorceress, level 2 - 180
    Where are you putting these? So far only one is spoken for.

Other than that, they are good.

25 Spearmen - 215

Shields, Full command

-Shields, Full command

SPECIAL:
    6 Harpies - 78
    Looks pretty standard, which by no means actually means mediocre.

I like it.

2 RBT's
    War Hydra
    -Full command
    I would have gone for the repeater bolt throwers myself. I usually play 2 in each corner of my deployment zone. That way they have clear sight straight up the flanks and can fire across the board at advancing infantry.

But if you had of taken them, your hard hitting units would have been fairly limited.

Would have thought knights would have been taken in preference of the hydra as they are the better unit on the charge. Subsequent rounds and they may have had trouble though.

but I think at 3k, all the units would block LoS, so I'd be gambling on getting a hill. In the end I decided to take 2 & a Hydra.
    But like you said, you have 1000 points tied up in characters. So not AS many units as normal.

Still, overall i think the list is fairly good.

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

Well the 23 is for a formation of 6x4 including Highborn. I wanted to maximise their attacks, considering that with a Highborn, they actually have a hope of doing some damage.

True about where the sorceresses are going. I could put them both in the crossbow unit, but I really dont want to. it makes them a huge target. I guess I'll try to cut some points to give one a Dark Steed.
    Although if I took Shadow magic, Steed of shadows might get them out of the RxB unit in the nick of time.. Hmm.

You're right that CoK's dish out more damage on the Charge, but in this instance I wanted a Terror causer, and well lets just say I wont miss the extra stupidity tests either ^_^
    Perhaps a unit of Executions would be even better still.

Deployment would basically be:
    -Black guard and BSB in the centre.
    -2 chariots next to the Black Guard
    -Hydra on opposite side of Black Guard
    -Spearmen + Highborn next to chariots
    -Crossbows next to Hydra (probably in 10x2, then reform to 5x4 when going to charge or be charged)
    -Other spearmen next to Crossbows

That lets 3 of my infantry blocks use the BSB re-rolls. Lets the chariots use the Generals Ld for stupidity, as well as other units also using it.
    Causes any enemy unit charging the BG or Crossbows to take a terror test.

Not sure I get you're comment about the Black Amulet? Thats still only a 5+ ward, but more expensive. Unless you just meant its better to swap them around, to give the High Sorc the better ward?
    My logic for giving the BSB the better ward: Level 4 has 20" flying movement to avoid combat. If shot at, theres still a good chance it will hit the Pegasus, not her. The BSB cant be shot at, but is basically a sitting duck in combat. He isnt worth quite as much as the level 4, but I think he needs the protection a lot more.

Im not sure that 7DD+Scroll will be enough magic defence, but hopefully 11 PD (+4 powerstone dice) would be enough to get off a Black Horror or Pit of Shades. Those are game winners.

Im thinking, Dark Magic on the Level 4. Shadow on the Level 2 to with Tome (better chance of getting Pit of shades), & death magic on the other, for the better magic missiles.
    Thoughts?

Thanks
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; September 6th, 2007 at 05:11.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Not sure I get you're comment about the Black Amulet?
    It is only a 5+ ward save but it is also a combat specific ward save that actually helps in combat.

And it WAS to get the high sorceress the better ward save. Even if shooting/magic does hit her pegasus it doesn't take much to kill one outright. After which she is walking and unprotected. It just seemed that the heartstone would be best protecting a bigger chunk of your points.

The BSB cant be shot at, but is basically a sitting duck in combat. He isnt worth quite as much as the level 4, but I think he needs the protection a lot more.
    He does help quite a lot, but with the general nearby and with his fantastic leadership, the blackguard and most of the infantry units should be able to hold well enough without him.

Besides he is still fairly well protected.

Perhaps a unit of Executions would be even better still.
    Executioners are usually even worse in subsequent rounds of combat as the knights and they don't have the movement.

A hydra should be cool.

Im thinking, Dark Magic on the Level 4. Shadow on the Level 2 to with Tome (better chance of getting Pit of shades), & death magic on the other, for the better magic missiles.
    Seems good.

I would have gone with level 4 dark magic then the other 2 with death. Not a fan of shadow magic, but your plan seems to be fairly sound.

I think after your first couple of games you will know what needs tweaking anyways,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good solid and definitely balanced list.

The idea of reforming your xbowmen is valid but you are wasting shots there if you get the 2 units of 10 on a hill just in front of the RBTs ( so RBTs have higher ground of course) then they can simply shoot over your battle line and you wont have to worry AS much about them being in combat but i can definitely see the reformation working if ya went with it
    I might steal that one and try it out myself most of the time your tactics are VERY useful

Love to hear how it goes when ya test it out

Peace,
    Jack

+ Reply to Thread