Raiding Force - Composition Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Raiding Force - Composition Questions

Hey folks

I'm looking at my Dark Elf Army and wanting to re-jig it to make it more of Corsair Raiding force rather then a heavily armoured invasion force.

The idea is that my army will be raiding from the belly of a Black Ark, striking at targets of opportunity on the shores of the old world.

Currently I have the following in mind for my raiders:

Lords
    Sorceress

Heroes
    Noble mounted on a Cold One
    Beastmaster on Manticore
    Assassin

Core Troops
    Repeating Crossbow-armed Warriors x4 (units of 10)
    x2 5 strong units of Dark Raiders
    x2 15 Strong units of Corsairs

Special
    x2 10 strong units of Shades
    1 unit of 15 Harpies
    15 Executioners

Rare
    x2 Reaper Bolt Throwers
    War Hydra

Now I also own some other models but I'm not sure if they fit in a raiding army

10 Cold One Knights
    15 Witch Elves

I'm unsure about having Cold Ones in a raiding force (I'm even considering mounting my Hero on a Dark Steed rather then a Cold One to "fit" the army) I don't seem to have enough Witch Elves to make them worth taking.

What do people think?

Am I overly restricting myself for no good reason?

Opinions on raiding armies would be appreciated.

Cheers! ;Y

Don't hate Da Playa, hate Da Game!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    :w00t: Hooray for ass monkeys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I dont have a heap of time at the moment so I'll just quickly point out some main issues

Firstly, the BM on Manticore takes up 2 hero slots, so you currently have 1 more character slot filled than is legal. Unless this is a 3k list?

-Unit of Harpies is too large & expensive. Go for 9-10 at maximum, but I prefer 6.
    -Shades could also perhaps be cut down (say , if you needed some points.
    -CoK's are a bit too 'heavily armoured' to fit the raiding theme, especially a large unit- So Im tempted to say leave them out.
    -For the 'elite' troops (BG, Witch elves, executioners & even Corsairs to a lesser extent) go for a wider frontage to maximise attacks. I find 18 is a good number for all 3 units, particularly Corsairs. However 2 rows of 7 can work well for WE's & Execs. Cheaper & even more attacks. So yes, you do have enough Witch Elves..

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    Firstly, the BM on Manticore takes up 2 hero slots, so you currently have 1 more character slot filled than is legal. Unless this is a 3k list?
    Hey Manu_Forti - thanks for the quick reply.

The Assassin an alternative choice - my Beastmaster is my main choice for a hero.

-Unit of Harpies is too large & expensive. Go for 9-10 at maximum, but I prefer 6.
    -Shades could also perhaps be cut down (say , if you needed some points.
    -CoK's are a bit too 'heavily armoured' to fit the raiding theme, especially a large unit- So Im tempted to say leave them out.
    Hmmm six harpies - beyond threatening a war machine they'd not be much use. Still 10 is perhaps an idea.

My Shades are awesome - I'd only shave a few off to make way for snacky Magic toys.

I agree with you regards the CoK's - they are looking less and less more like a good raiding unit.

-For the 'elite' troops (BG, Witch elves, executioners & even Corsairs to a lesser extent) go for a wider frontage to maximise attacks. I find 18 is a good number for all 3 units, particularly Corsairs. However 2 rows of 7 can work well for WE's & Execs. Cheaper & even more attacks. So yes, you do have enough Witch Elves..
    No rank bonuses beyond a +1? Holy heck. Maybe it's the Skaven in me but I don't feel comfortable without at least a +2 rank bonus, Still something to experiment with.

I'm toying with the idea of putting my Noble in with a full unit of Dark Riders. Fast Cavalry and a Noble should be a great combo!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im a big fan of rank bonuses too but the extra attacks can be worth it with the potential poison/killing blow and the joy of throwing more dice

Shades ive never really used except against a friend using a dwarf gunline with the 1k point new illegal white dwarf they did well against the cannons and such and one unit even slowed that damned dwarf down for a turn!!!

A noble in dark riders is fun i have put my sorc in there with a lifetaker also just for some extra fire power as i always ahve one designated unit of dark riders as pure harrassment no charging or combat although a noble with a sword of might and an enchanted shield would be pretty solid and definitely be a shock to your opponent when he see's those not so potent dark riders pack a punch to make him think twice about shooting in the preceeding turns

Anyway hope i have helped in someway shape or form

Peace,
    Jack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

No rank bonuses beyond a +1? Holy heck. Maybe it's the Skaven in me but I don't feel comfortable without at least a +2 rank bonus, Still something to experiment with.
    Well, our elite infantry are really too expensive to take large units & enjoy the static CR that spearmen etc enjoy. They make up for it with kills though.
    A front rank of 7 WE's with full commaned- will pump out 22 WS5 poison attacks..
    Give the hag witch brew & there goes your enemies outnumber bonus, for only 25 points. They may have 1-2 ranks more than you, but this should easily be made up for by kills. Along with +1 Standard & hopefully +1 rank if they arent shot to pieces.
    They also wont take a panic test if they DO get shot to bits on the way in. So even if you lose the 1 rank bonus, you should normally always atleast get all those lovely attacks.
    You can also give them a war banner or Standard of Slaughter if you are really worried about static CR. Banner of Murder is also a nice choice for a unit of 14 WE's, since they are so fragile you definately always want them to be striking first.

Executioners generally follow the same principle. However they are bit cheaper than WE's and can sometimes afford to take 2 rank bonuses.

Thats the good thing about a small unit of harpies. They either look too harmless to shoot at, or if they DO get shot up, when they fail their panic test & flee, you've only lost a small & cheap unit. It also makes a nice compact / mobile unit of march blockers. Killing war machine crews is basically theit main / best use, which they dont need 10+ to acheive.
    I also find them to be useless against fear causing armies, so in the event that you are playing against undead or ogres etc, its only a small fraction of your points that are wasted.

Cheers
    Last edited by Manu_Forti; September 19th, 2007 at 00:43.
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Manu_Forti View Post
    Well, our elite infantry are really too expensive to take large units & enjoy the static CR that spearmen etc enjoy. They make up for it with kills though.

Cheers

I have a game this weekend so I think I'll try a large frontage. I'll keep you posted on how it works out for me. ;Y

+ Reply to Thread