1000pts Dark elves based on new book - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pts Dark elves based on new book

Where I have put --- is where I have excluded points cost info since it would be easy enough to divide that by the number in the unit and get the new cost of a unit from the new book. But anyways here is what I am thinking of taking

sorceress w/ dark Pegasus + level 2 + Pendant of Khaeleth
    225pts

10x warriors w/ repeater xbows + shields
    110pts

110pts

5x dark riders /w xbows + musician
    117pts

5x harpies
    ---pts

5x harpies
    ---pts

6x cold one knights w/ Standard bearer
    ---pts

war hydra
    ---pts

1000pts

Also do you think I should drop either a cold one rider or the standard bearer for a Tome of Furion on the sorceress.

First of all the two units of xbowmen are pretty straight forward and supported by dark riders with CoK and the new war hydra acting both as hammer units works pretty well so far. Harpies are now really insane at war machine hunting 10 attacks re-rolling misses shreds almost any crew. They are also able to act as a screen for the sorceress, help her hunt the enemy casters in the early turns of the game, march block and as of late a friend of mine has been using them to counteract the negative effects of hatred.

By maneuvering his harpies after one of his units charge. He can overlap some of the models with the corners of his unit usually. Meaning that when the unit breaks an enemy unit and is forced to pursue this may then place the it in a really bad position. Since a unit instantly halts it's pursuit move once it comes into contact with friendly models, you can prevent them from pursuing to far by placing the harpies accordingly and denying the unit a potentially devastating pursuit move. Which many generals are now able to exploit against d/e players especially with cheap expendable units. And whats even nastier is you can roll lets say 7" on two 2d6 and catch your enemy completely destroying them. And then only have to move the unit 1" due to them running into the harpies.

Lastly even in a small 1000pts battle with so many units in this army able to hunt down enemy casters alot of units able to fire xbow shots. Forcing them into their respective units or behind terrain. I was still quite hesitant at first in only being able to fit in a single level 2 sorceress and worrying that her magic would just be wasted rather than effective. But I've found that with the free spell that every dark elf caster gets giving a potential d3 +1 powerdice, and my nasty habit of always rolling 4+. And the fact that sorceress have no restrictions on the power dice they wish to use, even in the early turns of the game against an army with enemy casters she has been able to pump out the damage.

Lastly the Pendant of Khaeleth is a godly item since the hit from not using up all the added dice you can generate is Str4 and the deadly miscast hits are usually St4, Str6 and Str8. Being able to discard the first two on a dice roll of anything but a 5-6 and anything but a 6 for the last two. In addition to having a fairly strong chance to survive war machines. Is one of the best items ever for a caster or any hero IMO. And this means I am able to play her quite aggressively without being overly concerned with loosing a 225pt model from a 1000pt list army just because of the dice gods and magic being so fickle. Meaning I can get quite strong results from a single caster despite their being only one.

Would like to hear your thoughts on this list and anythings you don't agree with or would do differently

Last edited by eckyl; July 29th, 2008 at 13:18.
    "It's important to remember at all times that anyone who's done more than you has no life... Also, anyone who's done less than you is a noob."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also I'm quite excited about the way in which I am going to model this army since in play testing it I have only been able to use the respective models from my friends army for play testing.

Sorceress - For the sorceress I am going to use the new mounted model since IMO it looks fantastic and then convert a dark Pegasus out of the wood elf horse mounts which are more dynamic.

Xbow - The two 10man warriors I am going to convert out of the new corsair models minus the cloaks and with a little help from my current warrior boxed sets

Dark riders
    - The dark riders are going to be converted out of the glade rider/warrior (xbows) set and although there is a lot of flesh showing on them I have thought of a way I would like to paint them in addition to the rest of the army. That will take away the weird look of dark riders showing more than the usual amount of flesh. While still making them bad ass.

Harpies - The harpies I'm going to follow Scott Goldstein's conversion idea's and use the body's of the "relatively" old demonette models with the current harpy wings.

The rest
    - The new cold one models look awesome and the new hydra is much improved on the old model. Nothing will be changing here.

Painting - As what to do about painting the fleshy faces of the warriors and the dark riders. I was recently looking at some of the dark elf design from the "forgotten realms" books. And their dark elves are dark skinned almost black with brilliant white hair. So that gave me an idea which is to paint the faces of these two units black like they are wearing war paint. With dark elf symbols being painted on (or rather the black being painted around) their faces and body. Since you'd think having white illuminated skin wouldn't help dark riders with a full moon out 0.o. And then pain their hair a nice white color.

By contrast on the sorceress and harpies I will paint their flesh a light color and then black almost dark elf almost tribal markings on their mostly exposed flesh.
    Last edited by eckyl; July 29th, 2008 at 15:06.
    "It's important to remember at all times that anyone who's done more than you has no life... Also, anyone who's done less than you is a noob."

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

[QUOTE=eckyl;1214919]

sorceress w/ dark Pegasus + level 2 + Pendant of Khaeleth drop the pendant and pegasus for sacrificial dagger or tome of furiion. Lifetaker would be handy as well.

5x harpies

5x harpies drop this unit for some shades with great weapons.

6x cold one knights w/ Standard bearer

war hydra

1000pts

there is an easier way of escaping the str4 hit with remaining dice. Just use the dice. You can cast a spell with as many dice as you want. Just make sure that you cast the extra dice spell earlier in the magic phase and use those dice first. With a level 2, you should drop the pegasus (50pts wasted) get the tome (4 castable spells) and maybe the lifetaker as extra or sacrificial dagger for extra magic boost. 1000 pts isn't much so magic is usually ineffective. DE can escape some of that ineffectiveness bc they can cast with as many dice as they want, and they can generate more dice. I don't see the harpies being as useful as you think they are going to be. You also have no static combat res, so you're going to have to reduce the enemies numbers before they get into combat with you, or you'll die. The Hydra is vicious at 1000pts, and by himself he may win you some games. Chillwind will also be your friend as it will cut back some of the return fire from the enemy against your small numbers.

I like the shades with great weapons over the extra harpies. They can add some much needed attacks with higher strength, they can shoot, they can march block, scout, you name it.

QUOTE]
    Last edited by buckero0; July 29th, 2008 at 18:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0
    there is an easier way of escaping the str4 hit with remaining dice. Just use the dice. You can cast a spell with as many dice as you want. Just make sure that you cast the extra dice spell earlier in the magic phase and use those dice first. With a level 2, you should drop the pegasus (50pts wasted) get the tome (4 castable spells) and maybe the lifetaker as extra or sacrificial dagger for extra magic boost. 1000 pts isn't much so magic is usually ineffective. DE can escape some of that ineffectiveness bc they can cast with as many dice as they want, and they can generate more dice. I don't see the harpies being as useful as you think they are going to be. You also have no static combat res, so you're going to have to reduce the enemies numbers before they get into combat with you, or you'll die. The Hydra is vicious at 1000pts, and by himself he may win you some games. Chillwind will also be your friend as it will cut back some of the return fire from the enemy against your small numbers.

I like the shades with great weapons over the extra harpies. They can add some much needed attacks with higher strength, they can shoot, they can march block, scout, you name it.

I meant more along the lines that the extra dice generated may add wounds if I miscast with a spell earlier in the phase since I can no longer cast. Meaning I cop the effects of the miscast and the effects of being unable to cast the extra dice. But this can be countered just by using them on my first spell cast thereafter.

The effectiveness that the Pegasus brings for its points can be substituted for sticking the sorceress on a dark steed now that you mention it. Also by putting her in with the dark riders the 2nd unit of harpies isn't needed so much. Also I've dropped the musician from the dark rider unit to pay for a extra cold one knight.

But being two points short could only really spend it on a musician for one of the xbow units meaning it will become better at flee reaction. Also since the sorceress is with this dark rider unit loosing the musician is maybe not such a bad thing because I wouldn't want to risk fleeing with it anyway.

sorceress w/ + level 2 + dark steed + heartseeker + Tome of furion
    192pts

110pts

10x warriors w/ repeater xbows + musician + shields
    115pts

5x dark riders /w xbows

5x harpies

6x shades w/ great weapons
    108pts

6x cold one knights

war hydra

1000pts
    Last edited by gingerninja; July 30th, 2008 at 16:15. Reason: Points

Now 17% more helpful gingerninja's Avatar
    In the ninja lab.......of course it exists!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    262 (x7)

I do quite like the idea of this army. Although it lacks static combat res, it does allow for some quite nasty combined charges and shooting.

My biggest concern though is the heartseeker on a sorceress though. I love this weapon on a master of dreadlord, but to be honest, it is a waste on a sorceress. I would give her the seal of ghrond instead to bolster your magic defences.

That way you can afford the other musician on the crossbows.

I hope this helps

ninja out
    New LOChat functions now avaliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Dr Gingerninjas therapy room for kids with a poor grasp of both english and Warhammer, please take a ticket from nurse deciever

Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gingerninja View Post
    I do quite like the idea of this army. Although it lacks static combat res, it does allow for some quite nasty combined charges and shooting.
    This may not be viable anymore but I very much love the concept of MSU especially with dark elves. And although owning every fantasy book, creating army lists for fun, and developing an understanding of the different armies as best I can. It is only the lure of the play style offered by a dark elf MSU army that has recently encouraged me enough to actually get around to building one. Although up until now I haven't been keeping up with things recently and MSU may not be as effective as it once was I very much hope it still is

My biggest concern though is the heartseeker on a sorceress though. I love this weapon on a master of dreadlord, but to be honest, it is a waste on a sorceress. I would give her the seal of ghrond instead to bolster your magic defences.

That way you can afford the other musician on the crossbows.

I hope this helps

ninja out
    I've actually been considering this a lot recently. With so many units in my army already able to pump out light RxB shots although the heartseeker is good. Something to compliment my offensive power would probably have much greater use in this army. And although seal of ghrond is an item I love very much, I think with so many units able to hunt casters in such a small points cost. I've gone with a cheap but effective power stone. And swapped the musician in the xbowmen for one in the dark riders like before.

sorceress w/ + level 2 + dark steed + power stone + Tome of furion
    187pts

Also I have to say I love the idea your friend "Lost Nemesis" has for a his new starter army. And although I changed a few things it is still a strong army IMO and I may field it once in awhile to spice things up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Current list considering running.

Lords & Heroes
    1 Sorceress w/ + level 2 + dark steed + power stone + Tome of furion

Core

5x harpies

Special

6x shades w/ great weapons

6x cold one knights

Rare

war hydra

997pts

And a version of "Lost Nemesis" starter list I may thieve!!!

Lords & Heroes
    1 Master w/ Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak,
    Halberd, Pendant of Khaeleth (rides in chariot)

1 Sorceress lvl 1 w/ Seal of Ghrond

Core
    18 Warriors w/ Shields, Full Command

10 Corsairs

10 Repeater Crossbowmen w/ Shields

5 Dark Riders w/ Crossbows, Musician

5x Harpies

Special
    Cold one Chariot

Rare
    1 Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total Points: 999/1000

+ Reply to Thread