DE Cavalry List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE Cavalry List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Cavalry List

Some time back I saw a player run a DE Watchtower list. I liked the theme of the army; mobile army banished ot the frozen north, etc. And have toyed with creating a similar list. The Watchtower list is no longer tourney legal and the new codex is on it's way.

I have only glimpsed the new codex at my LGS but would like to ask y'alls opinion on this.

Something along the lines of:

General mounted on a dark pegasus or manticore.
    Noble or Sorceress on a cold one

5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB

5x Harpies
    5x Harpies

6x CoK
    6x CoK
    6x CoK
    (Maybe one more of these if allowed)

Hydra

I could swap out some of the CoK for Chariots...

Anyway...anyone have any comments, suggestions? I am aware this is not a list a tough tourney list, though I intend to use it in tourneys. I mostly want to have fun, but I also don't want to be an easy win for someone.

Thanks

"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the amimals; ah...except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm.. is the hydra really allowed? It isn't included in the watchtower list I've seen. =<
    If you want a hard charger in the middle, maybe you could take 2 chariots instead?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, wince this isn't actually a Watchtower list, the Hydra would be fine. Chariots wouldn't be a bad modification to the list. I know that the intent is speed, but I can't help but cringe at the Harpies. I might be on my own here, but I think that Harpies are potentially the worst unit in all of Warhammer Fantasy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottieC37 View Post
    Well, wince this isn't actually a Watchtower list, the Hydra would be fine. Chariots wouldn't be a bad modification to the list. I know that the intent is speed, but I can't help but cringe at the Harpies. I might be on my own here, but I think that Harpies are potentially the worst unit in all of Warhammer Fantasy.

I have never used them...would you mind explaining the issues with the Harpies?
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the amimals; ah...except the weasel." - Homer Simpson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would have to swap (I think) out the Chariots for units of CoK...which may not be a bad thing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My beef with Harpies is that the have a single attack each, are To 3, and have absolutely no saves. The only benefit they provide is that they fly, so they can make it to their own deaths faster against enemy war machines. The few times I used Harpies in previous additions, they always managed to get killed by Warmachine crews...... not just once or twice, but everytime I ran them.... it was pathetic. Now this might jsut be my luck with them, and I am never destined to have a worthwhile unit of Harpies, but for that reason, I never take them, ever.... ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My beef with Harpies is that the have a single attack each, are To 3, and have absolutely no saves. The only benefit they provide is that they fly, so they can make it to their own deaths faster against enemy war machines. The few times I used Harpies in previous additions, they always managed to get killed by Warmachine crews...... not just once or twice, but everytime I ran them.... it was pathetic. Now this might jsut be my luck with them, and I am never destined to have a worthwhile unit of Harpies, but for that reason, I never take them, ever.... ever.
    Haha, that sucks. I've mostly used them as meatshields when being at least semi-defensive, and they can be really annoying. Even if they mostly do get blasted to bits within one round your opponent will have to choose between charging them and risk a counter-charge, or to be stuck there for another round while magic and missiles do their work.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

harpies get 2 attacks. If they get the hatred rule as well, then at least they should be able to hit most WM crews with lots of attacks. I think its unfair to complain about their save. No war machine hunters, or small flyers get a save in the entire game. They got a lot better with the new book in that they can use the general's leadership and they don't cause panic to other DE units. A flying 2 attack unit for **pts is really cheap in my opinion, and easily the cheapest screen, redirector we have. They aren't meant to kill a ton of stuff, if you want skirmishing killers, get some shades with great weapons.

Now back to the topic at hand : What point level are you planning on? (you're at about 2k right now)

General mounted on a dark pegasus or manticore. dreadlord gets the manticore without using a hero slot, but manticores get shot down just about as easily as a pegasus does, so I'm not sure which is better.
    Noble or Sorceress on a cold one magic users on cold ones is usually not a great idea, but if she's just for defense, I don't see a problem I guess

5x Dark Riders w/ RxBmusicians are good
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB

5x Harpies
    5x Harpiesagainst everyone except ogres and highelves, these guys can also hunt mages (orc shamans would be tough too) so they aren't useless.

6x CoK @ T5, the COChariots got better, but I still think that the knights for 60pts more are better. With hatred and str6 on the charge, you don't have to worry about rolling a 1 on your impact hits and their going to kill stuff. Maybe put a warbanner on one, and the stupididty banner on another.
    6x CoK
    6x CoK

Hydra
    Last edited by buckero0; July 31st, 2008 at 15:37.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buckero0 View Post

Now back to the topic at hand : What point level are you planning on? (you're at about 2k right now)
    Yes 2k was what I am shooting for.

General mounted on a dark pegasus or manticore. dreadlord gets the manticore without using a hero slot, but manticores get shot down just about as easily as a pegasus does, so I'm not sure which is better.

Noble or Sorceress on a cold one magic users on cold ones is usually not a great idea, but if she's just for defense, I don't see a problem I guess
    I am looking at using:

Dreadlord - Halberd; Armor of Eternal Servitude; Pendant of Khaeleth;Potion of Strength mounted on a Cold One

Master - Lance; Heavy Armor; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; mounted on a Manticore

Sorceress - w/two Dispell Scrolls mounted on a Dark Pegasus

5x Dark Riders w/ RxBmusicians are good
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB
    5x Dark Riders w/ RxB

5x Harpies
    5x Harpiesagainst everyone except ogres and highelves, these guys can also hunt mages (orc shamans would be tough too) so they aren't useless.

6x CoK @ T5, the COChariots got better, but I still think that the knights for 60pts more are better. With hatred and str6 on the charge, you don't have to worry about rolling a 1 on your impact hits and their going to kill stuff. Maybe put a warbanner on one, and the stupididty banner on another.
    6x CoK
    6x CoK

Hydra

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Decurion View Post
    Yes 2k was what I am shooting for.

I am looking at using:

Dreadlord - Halberd; Armor of Eternal Servitude; Pendant of Khaeleth;Potion of Strength mounted on a Cold One

as I said on another list, the Armor of ES and the pendant is overkill imo, how many saves does this guy need? Your master on the other hand, is ready to give up 300+ points without much difficulty because the manticore doesn't standup well to shooting/spells - see below

Master - Lance; Heavy Armor; Sea Dragon Cloak; Shield; mounted on a Manticore
    give this guy the armor of eternal servitude, and a null shard, he's still cheap, but now he has some help vs spells and a save in case he gets hit by a boltthrower or cannonball or just peppered by smallarms fire.
    Sorceress - w/two Dispell Scrolls mounted on a Dark Pegasus
    I would put this chick on a dark steed and be done with it. 1 mage by herself is just going to give points up to someone. Level one with 2 scrolls is about all she's worth. Dark steed if you don't want to leave her back in some trees somewhere.
    v

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast