[2250] First Tournament attempt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2250] First Tournament attempt

i'm going to play my first tournament in january, and since i am new to the game, i still don't have enough models to play with!
    That said, i'll need to get em before the tournament, and i'd prefer to spend my money on something i know will work out. So i made a list of 2250 points; if you think that it could work i can start buying the models i miss, else i will change it according to your suggestions: i don't want to waste money!

Here it goes:

Lord:
    -Dreadlord - Armor of Darkness, Pendant of Khaelet, Crimson Death
    225 pts.

Heroes:
    -Sorceress - Level 2, Sacrificial Dagger, Dispel Scroll
    185 pts.
    -Sorceress - Level 2, Dispel Scroll
    160 pts.
    -Master - Shield, Sea Dragon Cloak, Heavy Armour, BSB
    115 pts.

Core:
    -20 Warriors - Shields, Full command (Dagger Sorceress here)
    155 pts.
    -10 Crossbowmen (Second Sorceress here)
    -5 Dark Riders - Musician - RxBs
    117 pts.
    -5 Dark Riders - Musician - RxBs
    117 pts.
    -5 Harpies
    -5 Harpies

Special:
    -5 Cold one Knights - Full Command
    -14 Black Guards - Full Command, Standard of Hag Graef (Dreadlord Here)
    -12 Executioners - Full Command

Rare:
    2 Reaper Bolt Throwers
    1 War Hydra

Total:
    2250 pts.

I think i could swap the Executioners for some Shades, then i'd use a single unit of 10 harpies as a screen for enemy shooting. Else i'll have to use one unit of harpies for taking our war machine crews, and the other for screening/march blocking.

What do you guys think? Is this a list that could compete well in a tournament?
    Thanks in advance for your time, much love.

Reno.

Last edited by Renoflash; November 14th, 2008 at 04:30.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No feedback here?

Already bought a batallion (made into 5 CoK, 18 warriors, 20 corsairs and 10 crossbowmen), a sorceress, a dreadlord, 8 dark riders (converted from glade riders) and a Reaper Bolt Thrower.

I plan on getting the black guards or the hydra next, but i'd really like to know if you think that this list will bring me good in a tournament, since money doesn't grow on trees and i'd prefer not to waste it

Sorry for this auto-reply, i'm just getting discouraged

Thanks in advance for your time, Reno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a good list. The best with this list is that you tried to balance it. That's good you'll need a balanced list to win a tournament.
    Ok onto you list. I don't have the armybook in front of me so I can't give detailed advice about pts.

First of placement of characters.
    I'd place them like this.
    Dreadlord in warrior unit.
    BSB in black guard unit.
    Dagger sorc in warrior unit
    Scroll sorc in dark rider unit

Ok first on you dreadlord don't need to be in the BG unit as they won't be using Ld10. An extra S6 attack doesn't make any big changes. By putting him in the warrior unit you'll be boosting them by quite a lot. I'd give the dread lord armour of eternal servitude and sword of might instead of armour of darkness and crimson death. He won't kill as good but man he'll be almost impossible to kill (he'll be saving on 3+,4+,4+... try failing that!).
    Now the BSB will provide a big help in the BG unit. Since that unit is short on model (being a tanker unit). The extra CR you'll receive from a BSB is almost god send. I usually equip them with blood armour, seal of ghrond and a great weapon.
    Dagger sorc should be in warrior unit with the dreadlord. See if you cause panic with the dagger you roll on Ld10. Also instead of dispel scroll I'd give her the pearl making the them ItP. Now they're a hard unit.
    Scroll sorc should have dark steed and death magic. Death have some good spells and a nasty fear/terror causing spell you can use to your advantage. Or Metal if you're facing high armoured units. Also you can use darkstar cloak/scroll instead of 2x scrolls if you feel you can handle it.

I'd advice useing scouts instead of executioners and leave the xbows at home.
    Scouts should be 6-9 with great weapons. Use left over pts to beef up charcters and other units.
    Black guard champ should have soulrender or crimson death.
    Warrior unit should have warbanner and try getting them to at least 23 man.
    Also make your harpies one unit of ~7. I find units of 5 taking and failing panic too easy.

If you like executioners instead of scouts you can still use them a unit of 12 with champ and musician is good, the standard isn't needed since they're flankers and it is too easy taken.

As I said above I don't have the armybook at hand so I don't know the pts. But if it's over you have to prioritize what to include. IMO getting the DE characters right is a huge advantage over a few extra models.

So try that out... if you don't have them just proxy with other models... may it be 40k models, empty bases or just paperclips.

Hope it helps.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot, Zhaf!

These are right the advices i was looking for. I will play a bit with the points and see if i can include everything you suggested me.

Just one thing, placement.

I was thinking about taking the black guard in the centre, with the warriors to its left and the executioners on its right. Since i'll be taking out execs for Shades, i guess i'll be placing the hydra next to the BG, and move them as a single block?

As i said, i'm new to the game (played only one game so far, and that was with my old lizardmen 750 pts army ), so i don't know much about tactics! But i guess i can find some good posts around here about this matter.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated!

Much love, Reno.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The build is pretty balanced and solid. I would definately get the Darkstar cloak for one of the Sorceress as it allows you to throw even more dice at critical spells. The Hydra should not move in the open next to the BG. The Hydra needs to avoid getting shot by artillery/bolt throwers etc, not to mention flaming attacks/shots. Place a forest on near the mid, or where you think the main fight will take place. Put the Hydra in the forest so he can run thru it and breathe fire on enemies. If and when the Hydra takes some wounds, push her into a flank.

Shades are great. Ballistics skill 5 will make it easy to land hits. If you get lucky and can scout deploy lay them out to crush artillery crews. Move them shoot, then charge next turn. With GW's they can take out a gunline with some lucky pursuits by turn 2. If not, lay them near the Hydra so they can harass and counter charge. Use the 2" LOS in forest to your advantage. I would take 7-10 Shades, no bloodshade, and no light armor. They most likely will not get to use the 6+ save if they get attacked.

Executioners are not tournament worthy without a Cauldron in my experience. However, I use a cauldron with or without Execs. The problem with Execs is only being able to have a Khainite leader. So your stuck with the no armor save heros. And unlike the Black Guard, they only can have a standard worth 25pts opposed to 50. This means you can't give them ASF without a weak BSB. And the Frenzied Death Hag will charge out of the unit on her own, so if you go that route, you have to charge with the unit whenever possible.

Assassins are great and can be configured to suit many rolls. Putting one with the Shades or BG is a solid idea. Or with the warriors even. If you go that route, Rune of Khaine and Manbane/Killingblow is a must. If you go with the Shades, Rending Stars and Manbane is always fun. Give them both Cloak of Twilight if you think you can get your opponent to waste his dispel dice on other spells. Then they will be immensely annoying.

Crossbowmen suck for me and never make back their points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good idea to put in shades , 12 executioners will be shooting targets more than good fighters, I guess swapping them for shades , maybe dropping the master and some dark riders for corsairs , I like them , In my experience there very reliable
    good luck in the future mate
    cheers

E.
    Dark Elf General

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for your kind replies!

There are so many good ideas, and so few points to spend!

I will definatley remove the Execs for some shades, as i thought about doing anyway.
    Probably i'll remove the crossbowmen and some other things to get an assassin.

What worries me is, will i have enough of a close combat block to survive the main battle? Without execs to flank i only have CoKs and the Hydra, since i was planning to use my dark riders to harrass enemy gunline/warmachines/anything else.
    And, about the crossbowmen, i really like them on paper: with BS4. at long range and with multishot they hit with 5s, placed on a hill it means 20 shots, with armor penetration they should do some wounds anyway; but since i never played DEs yet i can't tell how they perform on the field. And some shooting is always a good thing, considering that my CC block (the BG) is not a big one, or it is not?

The warriors are just there to supply the dagger sorceress really, and to bring in some SCR if where needed, tho i'd prefer not to put my Sorceress in a bad position (stuck in CC).

The main issue with the assassin is mostly the fact that, as zhaf pointed in his "tips and tricks", he is unpredictable. Or better, I, placing him, need to think wisely and predict where he could be useful. Do really the shades need the punch of an assassin to get out warmachines/lone mages/gunlines? Or shall i stick in to my blackguard to provide more wounds, since they are not in big number and they bring really little SCR?

I will post an updated list tomorrow, and will be happy for some more feedback

Thanks again!
    Much love, Reno.

+ Reply to Thread