2k - 2Hydra attempt - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

2k - 2Hydra attempt

Hi, I've been playing my Dark Elves for a few months now and I've tried alot of different lists and tactics. Now I'm giving the 2 Hydra list a chance. I never used this kind of list because it just comes over as I want to win so I field the maximum allowed.

But I'm willing to give it a shot for the battle I have this evening (don't know what army my opponent is going to use) so here it goes:

Heroes
    (836)
    Supreme Sorceress @ 350
    Level 4, Pendent of Khaeleth, Staff of Sorcery
    (joins Black Guards)

Sorceress @ 165
    Level 2, sacrificial dagger
    (joins Warriors)

Sorceress @ 185
    Level 2, darkstar cloak, dispell scroll
    (joins Black Guards)

Assasin @ 136
    Rune of Khaine, Manbane, additional handweapon
    (joins Warriors)

Core
    (439)
    5 Dark Riders @ 117
    Xbows, musician

5 Dark Riders @ 117
    Xbows, musician

26 Warriors @ 222
    Fc, shield, warbanner

Special (355)
    14 Black guards @ 260
    Standard, champion, Standard of Hag Ghraef, null stone

5 Shades @ 95
    GW

Rare (350 )
    War Hydra @ 175

War Hydra @ 175

Total: 1997
    Models in army: 64
    Power Dice: 10
    Dispell Dice: 6

I also went for allout magic, combined with a few mobile units with crossbows, and 2 combat units that hopefully will hold their ground.

Warriors in large numbers so I can sac away. Warbanner for more static CR, assasin to aid the unit winning combat with his ASF he knocks down some enemies making it harder for the enemy unit to beat my static CR + assasin made wounds.

Black Guards with their ASF will hopefully hold their ground.

Dark Riders shoot their xbows and support where they can, disposing of light cav will be their most important role in this army, since they get around my troops easy and with only 2 infantry troops I can't afford a flank/rear charge.

Doubts
    • I'm thinking about dropping the Staff of Sorcery and the shades and include a small unit of CoK. But I'm not sure.
    • Also was thinking about dropping the shades and buff the Black Guard unit. And put a sorceress on a Dark Steed.
    • Drop shades, include 5 harpies, and buff the Black Guards with remaining points
    • Drop assasin, include BSB with Standard of Slaughter and include him with Black Guards or Warriors

Last edited by aimbob; December 2nd, 2008 at 12:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey.. Welcome to..

I think your doubts are right...You will have to do someting about your Shades.. I believe you must find another unit to spend the points at..

I think you should go for the Cold One Knights.. They are tough with their good armour..
    And they almost never fail.. Only if they fail their stupidity..

Give the knights a go.. They will do some serious damage.. Strength 6 Charge.. Very good at every opposing unit..

GooD LuCK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I'd replace the Shades with maybe a small unit of Crossbows. You'd have to find a few more points to get a unit of 10, which I think would complement what you have well.

Also, I suspect your Assassin costs 146 points instead of 136...

What lores do you generally go with on your Sorceresses?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I have a couple thoughts on magic heavy lists such as this.

First of all, with a magic heavy list, you want to keep out of combat as long as possible in order to maximise the damage your magic can do. Along these lines I would suggest a Dark Pegasus for your Supreme Sorceress. This will allow her to get around the battlefield to where her spells will be most effective while also letting her avoid combat (and thus negating most offensive spells as they require LoS).

I would also get her a focus familiar instead of the staff. There are three reasons for this. The first being that since she is mounted, she no longer has 360 degrees LoS and the Focus Familiar takes care of this problem. The second reason is that for even more protection, it allows her to fly behind pieces of terrain to cast spells without showing herself to enemy fire/charges. The third reason is that it adds range to her spells, which is always nice.

Along these lines, I would also get your Darkstar Sorceress on a steed and run her with a unit of Dark Riders so that she can get some mobility also.

Secondly, a list like this needs to keep the enemy away from them. This means units for marchblocking and redirecting (which you already have). I highly recommend keeping your shades along with the Dark Riders. Along this same line, it would be nice to get some Crossbowmen in here somewhere. It also means that in a list like this, the units of Black Guard and Warriors are a bit less than optimal choices, so really need to support each other.

Lastly this brings us to your unit of Warriors. I kind of feel like you have far too many points invested in this unit, and that you are expecting too much of it. You have numerous jobs that you expect this unit to do and I feel that it will fall short.

#1. You need this unit to help power your magic. This is the most sure thing that it can accomplish.
    #2. You need this unit as SCR, this is made less effective by the fact that you are also using the unit to sacrifice for your magic. So you spend even more points on a warbanner to offset this.
    #3. You want this unit to be able to win combats on its own. Not a very effective job for warriors, so you spend alot of points on an assassin to make it more combat ready.

This is what I would do if I were you (which im not, so take this advice with a grain of salt). I would keep the warriors for their best job, which is to power magic and act as SCR. I would drop this unit down to 20, with the warbanner you can sacrifice 5 models and still get full rank bonus, using the Black Guard as flankers for them. Then I would either ditch the assassin, or stick him in the unit of shades, his ASF helps offset their slow great weapons and makes this unit something to be feared for flank and rear charges.

If you ditch him I would use the points you have saved on a unit of Cold One Kights and on getting some more bodies in your unit of Black Guard. If you keep him then I would just try to find the points to get a minimum unit of Harpies for Warmaching hunting/marchblocking.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; December 5th, 2008 at 16:41.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Demandred has some good stuff to say - I second his motion.

Specifically, I agree you need:

a) Something to slow down the enemy advance
    b) More combat-focused units

The Assassin is, I believe 146 pts. I also beliver you'd be better off trading the Assassin for a BSB with some magic items to keep 'him alive (Armor of Eternal Servitude or Armor of Darkness). The Banner let's you re-roll break tests (great for the BG) and gets more static CR. Don't give a BSB on foot a magic banner because then he's just an expensive T3 guy with an unimpressive armor save just begging to be cut down.

I've never tried Shades, but they just seem so expensive to me. Harpies may make a better march blocking unit - plus, you could probably manage to get two units of 5 for about the same cost as those Shades.

Also, consider dropping the shields from the warriors and/or the xbows on the Dark Riders. That saves a nice chunk of points that aren't doing much. If you're going to sacrafice the warriors, you'll want them as cheap as possible - and if you're planning on killing anything with the Dark Riders RXBs, think again

Good luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

I think the utility of scouts as marchblockers in general relies on terrain. They are great at it if there is a moderate amount of terrain that forms any kind of gaps that forces your opponent to funnel his army in order to get to you. Place the shades in some of the terrain that is forming the funnel, and either they slow your opponent down all day or he avoids that whole part of the table.

Either way they have been effective. If there are no such features, then they are slightly less useful. However, their increased BS and crossbows still make them nice, and if your opponent gets careless and forgets about them you could potentially get a charge in the rear of one of his units with your great weapons.

As for the Xbows on the Dark Riders, to each his own I guess. Personally I tend to side with AVS agent on this topic. I think that with a list that is already so light on numbers, the 50 points spent on your Dark Rider's Xbows could be put to better use on more troops. This is just a personal preference though.

I think that a Bsb wouldn't be terribly effective, since the only part of your army that shouldn't be ranging wide trying to flank, marchblock, or terror bomb your enemy is the Warriors and Black Guard. I think that these might not be enough points to justify the investment of a Bsb. I think a better use of the Assassins points would be a combat unit like Cold One Knights.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

+ Reply to Thread