2250 pts - Dragon & Cauldron - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2250 pts - Dragon & Cauldron

I got a Dragon for Christmas

So, I'm trying to build an army that includes it. I've got two ideas that incorpoorate the two Hydras and CoB I've already got. As always, I'm terrified that my magic defence is serverly lacking - but, hopefully, the Ring of Hotek will hold out.

Here we are:

Heroes/Lords:

Dreadlord:
    > Black Dragon
    > Mundane: Sea Dragon Cloak, [Shield as well with OPTION 1 specials]
    > Magic: Deathpiercer, Pendant of Khaeleth, Armor of Eternal Servitude

Death Hag:
    > Cauldron of Blood
    > BSB

Sorceress:
    > 2 x Dispel Scrolls

Core:

5 x Dark Riders:
    > Musician

5 x Dark Riders:
    > Musician

5 x Dark Riders:
    > Musician

Special:
    OPTION 1:
    14 x Black Guard:
    > Full command
    > Crimson Death
    > Standard of Hag Graef
    14 x Executioners:
    > Full command
    5 x Cold One Knights:
    > Full command
    > Ring of Hotek

OPTION 2:
    15 x Black Guard:
    > Full command
    > Ring of Hotek
    > Standard of Hag Graef
    14 x Executioners:
    > Full command
    14 x Executioners:
    > Full command
    Rare:

2 x War Hydras:

Basically, the only difference is swaping a unit of CoKs for a unit of Execs and transfering the RoH to the BG. The Execs are Stubborn with the CoB, not Stupid, and are a bit more survivable with 14 units as opposed to 5. However, my BG take a hit as they loose the nice Crimson Death on their champ. Not to mention the metal mods will cost a bunch -.-

Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go for the 2x 14 execs , in my experience a cok unit of 5 is only good when you take the first hit !
    Mine got swept away in one turn by a ignore armor save wep
    even though you can give execs a 5+ ward 2 so it not useless!
    good list
    greetz
    Dark Elf General

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Looks nice, but I would take CoK and just drop Musician. They aren't really going to need him. Also I would exchange BG Crimson Death for Soulrender - you gain 10 points and armour piercing, and no cons. Sounds nice, hmm?

Ohh, and BG aren't going to use Musician as well.

I wouldn't recommend you using two units of Executoniers because, even if stubborn, they are pretty... well... soft. And you're fielding only 14 of them. And it is not a defensive army!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go for Soulrender on the BG, but then it occured to me that means my Champ will be S5 with AP instead of S6 (remember, BG are base strength of 3, not 4). Both have the same AP ability, but S5 cannot wound T4 enemies on 2s. That's why I went the extra 10 pts for the Crimson Death.

Execs are soft, but so are CoKs. That 2+ save is nullified by the fact that there are only five Knights. I'm not sure how I'll deal with shooty enemies; perhaps a screen of DRs. My main theory is that something will get through between the BG, Execs, CoK, Dragon, and Hydras. The enemy will have to either spread their fire and risk EVERYTHING getting through, or concentrate it on one or two units.

I'm also hoping that the Dragon and Hydras provide very big, very Terrifying distractions from my other fighting units. The Hydras can absorb a lot of damage and make fine combat units at that. I'll probably send the Dragon and a hydra up one flank to hit a unit in the side and (maybe) rear with some flying.

As for the musicians, the CoK may get in a nasty position where they need to flee as a result of Stupidity on my part or that of the Cold Ones
    Also, the BG should have a musician to win ties. Not a likely scenario, but even with Stubborn Ld9 I'm just two bad dice rolls away from loosing a "big -bad" unit. I would drop that BG musician, however, if I had something I could spend those pts on - but there's not a lot I can do with 7 pts floating around that worth more than winning ties.
    Last edited by AVS Agent; December 26th, 2008 at 18:34.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

S3... you say? Wait a sec, I have to check it. It's impossible that soo cheesy infantry...
    Damn.

Yeah, well, did I mention that Crimson Death is very fluffy for BG Tower Master?

CoK are not soft. There are simply few of them. That makes big difference, as all high-strengh armour-chewing machines need to decide - Dragon, Hydra or Knights? And against shooty armies this speed is going to be valuable...
    While Execs tend to fall because of arrows.

Musicians - preferations. I simply don't belive that BG might be beaten apart from some CC monsters that are going to eat them no matter whether they had musician or not.

CoK fleeing you say... Well... your choice...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I wouldn't bother with the COKs, I'd run a big block of Spears, some Corsairs, BG, and Shades to fill any points. Spears provide the cheap SCR, Corsairs can do horrific things with the Cauldron, and BG and Shades are always good. Give your Tower Master the Ring of Hotek and throw in an Assassin or two and you should be all set.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

You can also exchange Armour of Eternal Servitude and have Ring of Hotek & Enchanted Shield + Heavy Armour in its place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ring of Hotek is a talisman - I'm not swaping the "pendant of must" for the ring

+ Reply to Thread